Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestions for Next 3 Weeks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Suggestions for Next 3 Weeks [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 14:59
I just booked my test date for 2/26, that's 23 days from now. I first took the official exam in October and wasn't happy with my score. I planned to retake in December, but I kept delaying the test. Finally, I decided to book a date to force myself to feel more pressure.

My verbal score is strong, so I'm planning to continue to focus mainly on quant. I'm planning to watch a Thursdays with Ron quant video each day, complete 10-20 OG problems three days per week, review those OG problems 3 days per week, and have one day off each week.

Any suggestions on this strategy?

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
- Admissions Advice from HBS Dean
- 5 Things to do Now to Prepare for Round 1 applications
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Re: Suggestions for Next 3 Weeks [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 07:21
Expert's post
Hi,

It would be great to know what your score was, what you have been scoring lately, and what your goals are. Overall your plan is solid. You may want to add some practice tests. Doing just a Quant section of a CAT (GMATClub, MGMAT, or GMATPrep) can really help boost your Quant score. The CATs will allow you to work on your timing which is critical on test day.

If you can, a Quant CAT every other day for the next two weeks would be great. The number of tests depends on your schedule. Do what is reasonable for you. For the week before the test it would be great to take at least one full GMAT Prep. The GMAT Focus tests are also great the week before because they are very close to the real exam but they are shorter so not as fatiguing.

Be aware that GMATClub Quant is more difficult than regular GMAT Quant so if you aren't already scoring in the mid-40's you may find it extremely challenging. There is still a whole bunch to learn in the GMATClub tests even if your scores are depressingly low. You may do better with the MGMAT tests or you could try both. I find that MGMAT has very challenging word problems and that GMATClub has great number properties and combinations/permutations questions. The both get you thinking and force you to address content and timing weaknesses.

In general, load up on studying in the next two weeks but for the 5-7 days before your exam, cut back and just focus on maintaining your strengths. Try not to focus on any new material.

Also, whenever you do a CAT you may want to do some warm-up questions (5-7 questions) to get your brain moving.

I hope that this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and Tutoring: http://AtlanticGMAT.com

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set and some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: Suggestions for Next 3 Weeks [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 08:01
I completely with HerrGrau on a few things: it's tough to give you really useful advice unless we know more about your starting point and your goals, and it's definitely true that you want to focus on taking some quant practice tests. At this point, your ability to manage your time wisely (avoiding careless errors and preventing yourself from spending too much time on questions that are over your head) probably will impact your score more than anything else.

Again, I don't really know how much of an improvement you're looking for, but your plan includes 30-60 OG problems per week... for a grand total of 90-180 questions over the course of three weeks. Sorry to be blunt, but that probably isn't anywhere near enough. Of course it's worthwhile to review the questions that you miss, but the GMAT is testing you on your ability to reason your way through completely new questions, which may only vaguely resemble questions you've seen before. And the best way to get better at answering completely new GMAT questions under time pressure is to answer completely new GMAT questions under time pressure. :)

It sounds like you're focusing on the concepts by watching Ron's videos and spending a lot of time reviewing your errors, but be careful to strike a healthy balance: you won't get very far in three weeks by memorizing steps for OG questions, and the key is to get as much exposure to different, official GMAT questions as possible so that you can get a better sense of how, exactly, they're trying to test you (or trap you). So yes, work on understanding the underlying quant concepts, but make sure that you practice enough official questions, and definitely be sure to practice your timing.

I hope this helps!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Suggestions for Next 3 Weeks [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 09:29
Thanks, for the replies. I'm currently scoring around 710 (45Q, 42V). Quant has ranged from 44-47 on my last few practice tests (MGMAT and GMATPrep). My target quant score is about 47-48.

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
- Admissions Advice from HBS Dean
- 5 Things to do Now to Prepare for Round 1 applications
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Suggestions for Next 3 Weeks [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 13:02
Relax in the last week. I would suggest you to not give a full length in the last 5 days. Rather just do relaxed review. Your score is unlikely to improve at that point. Try GMAT Prep Q Pack 1, if you have not already.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Suggestions for Next 3 Weeks [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 13:42
I would keep up with practice on both parts of test. If you only focus on Quant you could psyche yourself out or drop the ball on Verbal. Keep it balanced - you are very close to your goal.
Re: Suggestions for Next 3 Weeks   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2013, 13:42