Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestions for schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Suggestions for schools [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2006, 04:14
Hi Scott/Omari

Would you be kind to answer a few queries regarding school selection and give me some ideas so that I can research schools further?

Indian Male 27 years
High School in India
Bachelors in Computer Science from liberal arts college in Midwest. GPA 3.89/4.0.
GMAT: 700

Founded dot-com while in college with a couple of college-friends that went from boom to bust real quick. Lived broke for 6 months post 911 in Nyc before joining web startup to learn where I failed. Working for 4+ years since in almost all aspect (except billing) from Sales & Marketing, Business development to managing Technology Dept. Worked on various projects - you guys know everything web related in mission critical. Worked with clients (very popular web services/sites) from many different countries.

Why MBA? Im quite sure that I want to stay and work in the Internet Industry. With the experience that I have now, I want to polish up my leadership skills and want to pursue upper management leadership roles in one of the Internet biggies (Google, Yahoo, Amazon, Ebay, one that will be big in 2 years!, etc.). I want to pursue a Product manager role right after MBA. I also have a strong entrepreneural side so may consider starting something on my own down the road, but not right after my MBA.

Here is where I need your help please:
1. I am not sure if I should focus on IT concentration, or more of General management since I have somewhat IT background.
2. Also, I am confused whether to choose a more techie school since I have liberal arts education and have superior soft skills than quant skills.
3. Lastly, I want a school which is more popular globally so that I can use the brand outside US as well as I have a strong desire to work in Europe and Asia as well.

Can you please suggest some schools to look into?

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks

I believe its yogurt!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2006, 18:28
Expert's post
Overall, it sounds like you have a pretty consistent story and a good reason for wanting an MBA. Here are my thoughts:

1) I'd definitely focus on general management. I think you'll get much more value from an MBA if you focus on general management, rather than trying to bolster your tech management skills.

2) I don't think of your background as liberal arts (you majored in computer science. right?). Even though you served a variety of business roles at your companies, I think schools will look at you and think "tech." That's actually a reason (along with point #1 above) that I think you should focus on less techie schools, so that you can round out your skill set. Applying to techie schools isn't a terrible idea, but don't solely target those. Also, think about where Yahoo, Google, etc., recruit their product managers... From what I know, they recruit more at the top general management schools than from the more tech-oriented schools.

3) In terms of global brand recognition, you're really talking about the tio 5-10 U.S. schools. Once you go below that level, the school's reputation abroad is going to be much weaker. There are great schools (like Fuqua or Haas) that just don't have a ton of international recognition. So, if that's an important criterion for you, you'll probably want to just focus on the top, top schools.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Last edited by quixx23 on 08 Jul 2006, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2006, 19:27
Thanks a lot Scott for your advise, I really appreciate it

I believe its yogurt!