Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestions for Verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Suggestions for Verbal [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 13:29
Hey folks,

Used to post here pretty often about 3 years ago. Basically, I started with a V33, then was hitting V38 - V42 on practice tests. Took the exam, got V31. Took the Knewton class and got V34 a month later, so it didn't help much.

So now I just took the GMAT Prep after not looking at the GMAT for 3 years and got a 650 Q47 V33. I know I can brush up a little on quant but I really want to shoot for a V40+. I am a native speaker and read all the GMAT fiction (and am just a decently consistent reader in general). I was thinking about e-GMAT, GMATPill, a tutor, or if I have a really good and new approach, will start self studying again.

From my breakdown, I think SC and RC were giving me the most problems on the actual exam. I studied SC the most and did pretty well on the practice, but on the real thing I thought I did well but I guess not.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I appreciate it.

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 42

Re: Suggestions for Verbal [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 05:11
TwoThrones wrote:
Hey folks,

Used to post here pretty often about 3 years ago. Basically, I started with a V33, then was hitting V38 - V42 on practice tests. Took the exam, got V31. Took the Knewton class and got V34 a month later, so it didn't help much.

So now I just took the GMAT Prep after not looking at the GMAT for 3 years and got a 650 Q47 V33. I know I can brush up a little on quant but I really want to shoot for a V40+. I am a native speaker and read all the GMAT fiction (and am just a decently consistent reader in general). I was thinking about e-GMAT, GMATPill, a tutor, or if I have a really good and new approach, will start self studying again.

From my breakdown, I think SC and RC were giving me the most problems on the actual exam. I studied SC the most and did pretty well on the practice, but on the real thing I thought I did well but I guess not.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I appreciate it.

Though I havn't given my GAMT yet, but have a decent experience of prepping ;)
Regarding SC , I can confidently state -
Manhattan "SC" book is god-sent book and most of us on GMATclub agree on the same.
Trust me I was pathetic at Sentence Correction when I began prepping, And Now I am getting around 80-90 % correct in SC. (after 2nd revision , of course :P )

I would also suggest that you never feel demotivated. keep yourself charged and boosted .
There are several awe-inspiring stories on GMAT club here, I frequently read them and so should you. Pasting here for reference -
best-gmat-stories-period-98512.html

Hope it helps !

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Suggestions for Verbal [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 20:46
Two thrones, I was in a similar situation where I had difficulty with RC and SC. What really helped me improve my RC was using the official guide book and verbal supplement as practice. For each answer explanation the book lists a few sentences that summarize the passage or the main points used to answer the question. Try to recreate those responses in your own words when you answer the practice questions. Read each passage first, then for each question summarize what you think the answer explanation summary will be. Answer the question and compare the two. This helps improve your reasoning of the passage, indentitify the type of information you should look for with each answer and see what is causing you too miss the problems. After doing this for a couple of passages your RC score should improve dramatically.

For SC It appears that the disconnect between your practice test and real test is coming from probably that you have seen the practice questions and subconsciously know the answer. But you really don't understand why the answers are wrong or not. I would really suggest diagraming sentences, essentially learning how to break each sentence down to its part of speech. Some helpful resources for this can be found on youtube by searching for sentence diagramming. Also, I found magoosh to be extremely helpful. After doing practice problems in the book where you identify the part of speech for each you will start to see patters in the answer choices. Then when you take the real test, you will see similar patterns and be able to score a lot better.

Hope this was helpful. Any kudos would be appreciated as well.

Any and all kudos are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Suggestions for Verbal   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2014, 20:46