Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Suggestions needed [#permalink]
Hi Bhavik,

Thanks for your reply. I studied Engineering in Electronics & Communications. I joined the bank as a Probationary Officer. I want an MBA for learning management skills especially in Finance and consulting, for my career growth and to become more confident in my life. No, I have never taken GMAT but I have appeared for CAT2010, where I scored 80.56 percentile. Yes, I have passions I can speak to but sometimes my passion changes.

Thanks,
Harshvardhan Singh
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:
Hi Harsh,

I'd be happy to provide some insight but you have to give me more to work with than that. What did you study. What do you do for this bank. Why do you want an MBA. If you've taken a mock GMAT, what's your expected score. What are you involved in. Do you have passions you can speak to. etc.

If you can give me more information on your profile that'll help me write something meaningful here.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Harsh,

Thanks for the additional information!

I've attempted to break up my response by category and, in addition to providing some comments, have asked some clarifying questions. Let me know your thoughts!

1) Professional Experience: So you joined the bank in June of 2013...so this month? You mention you graduated in 2011 so I may be misunderstanding your statement here but what did you do between 2011 and 2013? Or have you been at the bank since 2011? Unfortunately, your specific work experience at this bank isn't exactly ground breaking. If you have leadership in this position, then that will help but at the moment if you do not then you're going to fail the first litmus test of an adcom - they look for proven leadership.

2) Extracurriculars: Were you involved at university in other activities? You're up against stiff competition. Either you had to be extensively involved in your undergrad, or since, or, preferably, both. Without this, adcoms will doubt you have what it takes to become involved in their programs and give back to the broader community. If this is a lacking point in your application, then you absolutely have to fill it before you can apply. That's why I asked about passions - what do you enjoy? Finding what you enjoy can lead to a natural list of options to get involved in.

3) Academics: How did you do at university? What was your GPA or percentile? This, coupled with your GMAT, will be critical to putting you on par with other Indian applicants. Note, I didn't say differentiate you. Your academics, in the pool you're in, will probably never differentiate you. But you have to perform at a higher standard to make the middle of the pack so your GPA and GMAT are critical. Take the GMAT once and that'll give us a better idea of where you sit.

4) Goals: I am going to be honest here - you cannot say you want an MBA because you want to become more confident. That simply won't do. If you want to transition to finance or consulting, ok, but you need to hone in on exactly how an MBA will help you. Will it fill knowledge gaps? Network gaps? You have to be specific. Career growth and becoming confident are vague and should never be stated.

If you can answer some of the questions above, that'll help us continue this conversation and hone in on exactly what to focus on. But if I got SOLELY on what you have entered above, it is not competitive nor inspired. I don't mean this to be rude, merely honest. There's some work to do here before you would have a successful run at the application process.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavik
GMAT Club Bot