Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestions on how to include a BusinessWeek article??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT Date: 07-04-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [3] , given: 5

Suggestions on how to include a BusinessWeek article?? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone
I am Tushar, college senior from India. In the beginning of this year I was interviewed by a reporter from BusinessWeek magazine about my opinion on CAT vs GMAT as well as about my profile (CAT is a very competitive entrance exam for a MBA in India). And to my amaze she wrote a a lot (~40%) about me in the article ( http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-25/abandon-hope-an-elite-indian-b-schools-wild-selectivity ). This article was first published online in feb13 and then in april13 in print magazine. Please go through this article, its a nice read.

Now I dont know should I write about this article in my application or not. If yes, then where should I include this and how should I include this? Right now I have written about it in a bullet point in my Achievements sections of my resume, in the following manner:
-> Interviewed by Bloomsberg Businessweek Magazine over Indian business schools and CAT vs GMAT. Article published online in Feb 2013 and in print magazine in Apr 2013.

Is it right? What else do you suggest? I am aiming for HBS 2+2, GSB, Chicago Booth, Yale.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 18

Re: Suggestions on how to include a BusinessWeek article?? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 12:48
gemtushar wrote:
Hi everyone
I am Tushar, college senior from India. In the beginning of this year I was interviewed by a reporter from BusinessWeek magazine about my opinion on CAT vs GMAT as well as about my profile (CAT is a very competitive entrance exam for a MBA in India). And to my amaze she wrote a a lot (~40%) about me in the article ( http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-25/abandon-hope-an-elite-indian-b-schools-wild-selectivity ). This article was first published online in feb13 and then in april13 in print magazine. Please go through this article, its a nice read.

Now I dont know should I write about this article in my application or not. If yes, then where should I include this and how should I include this? Right now I have written about it in a bullet point in my Achievements sections of my resume, in the following manner:
-> Interviewed by Bloomsberg Businessweek Magazine over Indian business schools and CAT vs GMAT. Article published online in Feb 2013 and in print magazine in Apr 2013.

Is it right? What else do you suggest? I am aiming for HBS 2+2, GSB, Chicago Booth, Yale.

Think of it this way, how does this interview enhance or add value to your overall application?

Not trying to sound harsh, but I would NOT put this on the application. It really doesn't move the needle and could actually send the wrong message to adcoms. Achievements should be meaningful or display a special trait about yourself. Being interviewed for a topic that's pretty inconsequential may come across as you boasting which is something you definitely want to avoid.

It's certainly a nice conversation piece during the interview if you can segue into something more meaningful. Otherwise, I would just avoid it entirely.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT Date: 07-04-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [1] , given: 5

Re: Suggestions on how to include a BusinessWeek article?? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks kple12 for your reply. You may be right, but just the fact that I was interviewed doesn't add any value. But if you have read the article you'll know that the reporter presented my profile and my opinion in a very elegant manner. So I think the content of the article adds value to my application. But thanks that you pointed out if not presented properly it might have a negative impact.
It will be great to hear more suggestions and opinions. :)
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: Suggestions on how to include a BusinessWeek article?? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 09:03
Expert's post
Hey there,

On one hand, it's great that Business Week did an article on you. I mean, that's really flattering and you're right, the article is well written.

However, kple12's point is extremely valid. How does this make you stronger. How does this make you a better applicant? To be blunt, it doesn't. At best, it is a point of interest. I think you should include it but let's think about it in terms of your application:

1) Essays - most essay topics do not allow you to successfully use this article in a natural way. If it was on your take on an industry, for example, you could casually mention it to show insight. But it's on the GMAT vs. CAT and, as a junior, that doesn't mean that much. You were a case study in an article and you can't write an essay on that.

2) Resume - you're right to include it here. This is the only place it makes sense. I think you should consider the phrasing of the bullet to be more impactful but, regardless, this is where it belongs

3) Application - these may, or may not, ask you to list any major accomplishments. Keep in mind the word "accomplishments". I don't believe this is an accomplishment. Once again, it's a point of interest. It'll lend some interest to your resume (which most adcoms read first) but if you confuse it with achievements, it'll raise some eyebrows.

4) Recommendations - no recommender could possibly write about this and, if they did, it would stick out.

Overall, it's a cool point to bring up but (and I don't mean this in a mean way) don't make more of a deal than it is. It's great that you were in an article, but it isn't the cornerstone of your application either.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Suggestions on how to include a BusinessWeek article??   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2013, 09:03