Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

suggestions Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 134

suggestions Please [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 10:00
I am really worried about RC section.For me,this section is much harder than CR..I always take a long time to solve a passage,typically 12-18 minutes...:(..Can anyone suggest me how to approach the RC section?I am currently following MGMAT RC and McGraw-Hill's Verbal..I don't see any improvement...
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1267

Kudos [?]: 3527 [0], given: 185

Re: suggestions Please [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 10:04
Expert's post
Faruk, I invite you to try our RC course. We recently launched our RC course and are very excited about it and we believe that it is the single largest collection of original passages out there. Here is what some of our users say about the course. Like all our courses, this course comes with a generous free trial.

Also below is a review by one of the guys who improved his verbal score by 6 points in 15 days.

http://gmatclub.com/reviews/e-gmat/e-gm ... -345345640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1116

Kudos [?]: 5055 [1] , given: 164

Re: suggestions Please [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
farukqmul wrote:
I am really worried about RC section.For me,this section is much harder than CR..I always take a long time to solve a passage,typically 12-18 minutes...:(..Can anyone suggest me how to approach the RC section?I am currently following MGMAT RC and McGraw-Hill's Verbal..I don't see any improvement...

RC is mainly about practice. There is very little theory (though it is a good idea to know the various types of questions etc since it helps you channelize your thoughts properly). Reading speed is an issue a lot of people face and improving that takes a long time. Instead, try and improve your concentration. I guess, a big chunk of those 12 mins is lost because you get distracted. Probably, you blank out for some time in between. There are some strategies to take care of concentration problem. One of them is that at the end of every paragraph, try to recap what you read. It will make you more answerable and will help in retention. Also, try to practice lots of passages.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: suggestions Please [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 18:09
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
farukqmul wrote:

RC is mainly about practice. There is very little theory (though it is a good idea to know the various types of questions etc since it helps you channelize your thoughts properly). Reading speed is an issue a lot of people face and improving that takes a long time. Instead, try and improve your concentration. I guess, a big chunk of those 12 mins is lost because you get distracted. Probably, you blank out for some time in between. There are some strategies to take care of concentration problem. One of them is that at the end of every paragraph, try to recap what you read. It will make you more answerable and will help in retention. Also, try to practice lots of passages.

Very helpful advise....Thanks...:)
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 301

Kudos [?]: 468 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: suggestions Please [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 11:42
Expert's post
Definitely great advice by Karishma :).

Mini-paragraphs summaries are indeed very helpful because they force you to not only be more engaged with the passage but also help you understand the passage better.

One thing I would add - and which dovetails nicely with Karishma's advice - is, as much as possible, try to answer questions in your own words. Basically go back to the passage, read the relevant section, and then put the answer to the question in your own words, before looking at the answer choices. By thinking up or anticipating the answer, you are less likely to go back and forth between different answer choices and to get trapped by the answers. In a sense you are controlling the questions, and not letting the answers control you :).

Good luck, and let us know how these strategies are working out!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Re: suggestions Please [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 06:27
ChrisLele wrote:
Definitely great advice by Karishma :).

Mini-paragraphs summaries are indeed very helpful because they force you to not only be more engaged with the passage but also help you understand the passage better.

One thing I would add - and which dovetails nicely with Karishma's advice - is, as much as possible, try to answer questions in your own words. Basically go back to the passage, read the relevant section, and then put the answer to the question in your own words, before looking at the answer choices. By thinking up or anticipating the answer, you are less likely to go back and forth between different answer choices and to get trapped by the answers. In a sense you are controlling the questions, and not letting the answers control you :).

Good luck, and let us know how these strategies are working out!

Great advise ..I hope this will work out for me...:)
Re: suggestions Please   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2012, 06:27