Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

suggestions to crack the gmat

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

suggestions to crack the gmat [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 03:15
Hi, everybody!
I started studying for the gmat during the last days of december. now i scheduled the exam on the 20th feb. i would like to get a 720 score, but i don't know if it is possible since i don't have much time. here's the practice tests i took.
I'm non native English

1 Gmatprep 1 660 q44 v37
2 Gmatprep 2 700 q49 v35
3 Manhattan 650 q45 v34
4 Kaplan 740 q51 v35
5 Gmatprep 1 680 q48 v35

i see that i can't improve my verbal and i'm stuck to 35. i think my weak point is RC, especially the question like "according to the argument". i have to read again the whole test and i often don't get it. the other parts in verbal i think with more attention i may score better. any suggestion?
time management is ok. no problem about that
And another problem is that i'm really bored to face RC question. I postponed a lot of time excercising on that:P but realy it's too much:(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: suggestions to crack the gmat [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 04:08
Expert's post
andrew40 wrote:
Hi, everybody!
I started studying for the gmat during the last days of december. now i scheduled the exam on the 20th feb. i would like to get a 720 score, but i don't know if it is possible since i don't have much time. here's the practice tests i took.
I'm non native English

1 Gmatprep 1 660 q44 v37
2 Gmatprep 2 700 q49 v35
3 Manhattan 650 q45 v34
4 Kaplan 740 q51 v35
5 Gmatprep 1 680 q48 v35

i see that i can't improve my verbal and i'm stuck to 35. i think my weak point is RC, especially the question like "according to the argument". i have to read again the whole test and i often don't get it. the other parts in verbal i think with more attention i may score better. any suggestion?
time management is ok. no problem about that
And another problem is that i'm really bored to face RC question. I postponed a lot of time excercising on that:P but realy it's too much:(

Hi Andrew,

Your scores are good; the lowest you have scored is 660 with an average of around 690. A score of around Q49, V38 would place you around 720 in GMAT.

Yes, RC could be a pain and could be really boring as it usually contains topics that we do not really read frequently. I think you know the solution to your problem. If you are scoring well on SC and CR then surely you need to improve on RC.

You have 12 more days left; in this circumstance I would advise you to not adopt a totally new strategy for RC because you will not get enough time to practice. What best that you can do during these days to make your mind as familiar as possible with GMAT language. Attempt a few RC passages from official guides and GMAT prep daily. Even If you do not attempt RC daily, try to just read a few official passages. I did the same, and I too struggled in RC.

Solidifying your concepts in Inference CR question would also help you greatly in solving RC inference question and in general. Most of us face challenge in answering inference questions in RC. Moreover, if you can answer SC well, you will have some backup time which you can utilize in RC. In the last two weeks it's all about solidifying your existing concepts and optimizing our strategies.

I would also suggest that you take 2 -3 retakes of GMAT prep before the actual deal.

Last but not the least focus more on verbal but do not neglect quant. You have good quant test scores and a score from 49 to 51 would compensate for a few score points in Verbal.

All the best.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: suggestions to crack the gmat [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 03:52
Thanks for answering!
I'm ok with RC. SC is weird. when i'm wrong I understand the mistake and every time i have the impression with a little more attention i could have got it right. But when i see my mistakes in RC, even if i try again I get it wrong most of the times
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: suggestions to crack the gmat [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 12:44
Expert's post
andrew40 wrote:
Thanks for answering!
I'm ok with RC. SC is weird. when i'm wrong I understand the mistake and every time i have the impression with a little more attention i could have got it right. But when i see my mistakes in RC, even if i try again I get it wrong most of the times

Hi Andrew,

Then spend more time and analyze such RC questions and find out what is the reason why you are getting the same questions/ topics incorrect again and again and fine tune your strategy. The reason could be that you are not able to get the structural elements or you have some difficulty in a particular question type.

I have recently posted a reply to a query regarding RC: help-required-on-rc-146921.html#p1180298

Its a good thing that you are able to find your mistakes. Make a note of those mistakes in your error log and visit them again regularly till your test date. Practice more on SC and you will see an improvement.

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 6

Re: suggestions to crack the gmat [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 19:12
Expert's post
andrew40 wrote:
Thanks for answering!

Well, for RC, you may find these free videos helpful in how you read each passage: http://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... -guide-rc/

As for SC - there's only so many ways the GMAT folks can test you. Practice with these questions: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: suggestions to crack the gmat   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2013, 19:12