Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestions Welcomed! Thanks so much!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Suggestions Welcomed! Thanks so much! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 23:39
Hi Everyone!

I'm been lurking around this forum for a really long time, and found the atmosphere here to be really welcoming.
Now, I've finally decided to come forward for some suggestions.
So, My profile is as follows:

1) Basic: Turning 24 next month!, female, Asian-American

2) Undergrad: Did my undergrad at UC Irvine, with one year of study-abroad in China; Double majored in Economics and International Studies; GPA 3.3; GMAT 750; No grad work

3) WE: Since my graduation from UCI in 2010, I've been working at a top-3 local Chinese investment bank owned by one of the largest State-owned banks in China (I'm the only foreigner in the office; I am fluent in Mandarin Chinese and can read and write as well). I'll be reaching my 2-year mark next month!
I'm primarily focused on cross-border M&A, but I was also involved in a couple of listed company restructurings and pre-IPO restructurings. Leadership wise, I was the primary point of contact for all the cross-border deals. I also helped facilitate a cross-border deal with the resources I was given, and organized an on-site visit in the U.S. for my Chinese client, and accompanied them as the only representative from my bank.

4) EC: Currently involved in a one-on-one mentoring program for underprivileged migrant children.

5) Career Goals: I want to stay in finance after getting my MBA, preferably working on the buy-side, doing more cross-border deals (especially between China and the U.S.) so i can leverage off my Chinese banking experience.

6) Target schools: NYU, Columbia, Wharton, HBS, U Chicago, USC, UCLA, Duke, Dartmouth

Overall, I have a fairly low GPA, so I tried really hard to offset that with a higher GMAT score (i really hope this will work). I guess my profile is pretty traditional industry-wise (investment banking), but as the only foreigner in the office, I feel that I can focus on certain aspects that will make my profile unique.

My question is: I'm not sure when is the best time for me to apply for an MBA. I've considered applying in 2014, but I'm not sure if 3 years of working experience will suffice.
Since I want to stay in banking after graduation, I figured if i don't get into a top 10 program, then it's very unlikely that an MBA will help me in my career. But as I mentioned before, I graduated from a non-target school, and my GPA is fairly low. So I was wondering if more working experience and a higher GMAT score will make my profile more ivy-league attractive.

Thoughts? Thanks so much in advance! :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Suggestions Welcomed! Thanks so much! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 17:52
Your GPA isn't that low. It's on the low end of the scale, but like you pointed out, your GMAT will help greatly. A 750 is nothing to sneeze at. Also, being female will help too.

In terms of work experience, I think it depends on what lies in your future. I don't know enough about your field, so I don't know if you still have room for growth in your career. If you do think you have room for growth, I'd wait and apply in a year of two. I think also possibly, with added maturity of a year or two more, you might get more out of the mba experience, but that's a very personal insight, and only you would know that.

So I'd say that you need to think about why you need your MBA now with the emphasis on "now." If you think that you still have exciting things in store for you at your current job, I would wait. But if you think you need the MBA to get to that next stage in your career, then go ahead and apply now.

If you do wait, you'll also have more time to get leadership in your EC activities, work on your recommendation letters and also brainstorm about your essays.
Re: Suggestions Welcomed! Thanks so much!   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2012, 17:52