Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
Re: Suits [#permalink]
My bad - I always understood bespoke and MTM to be interchangeable terms. Thanks for setting me straight.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
xenok wrote:
A good rule of thumb to check if you have a rather non-average frame is to look at the "drop." The drop is the difference between your shoulder size and waist. Most OTR suits come with a drop of six, e.g. if you got a 44 suit will come with a 38 pants (should size of 44 - drop of 6 = 38). Couple that with the fact that a tailor can only take in or let out at most two inches (preferably one); that means if your waist size is less than 36 (damn you and your Greek god physique!) or more than 40, then you should get MTM. My suit size is a 44R and I have a 36 to 38 waist (*sigh*, working on getting it to 34), so I'm right at the border of OTR and MTM. Considering how cheap it is to get tailored suits where I am, I just went the bespoke/MTM route.

I think the drop is the difference between chest and waist.

A guy who is 44" around the shoulders and 36" around the waist would look pretty funny.

RF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah, chest size is right. I guess I was thinking of shoulder fit above everything else.

A guy with a 44 chest and a 36 or 34 waist would probably look really ripped. Most competitive swimmers have a drop of 10 or more.
Send PM
Yes, and as we age, that differential reverses itself from a 44 chest / 34 waist eventually to a 34 chest / 44 waist.

:-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
 Q49  V44
Send PM
ooooh fun, it's a fashion thread!

some thoughts:

•brooks brothers f & f is a pretty good deal - i'd def. say that you'll get more bang for your buck there than you would buying hugo boss at nordstrom rack
    •if you've never been to gilt, join up right now. ladies too. i've spent the past 6 months stalking their sample sales, to the point where i now have a complete business wardrobe for far cheaper than i could have had otherwise. about half the stuff i've bought has been from gilt. there's a good suit sale about once every week or two...they even had isaias for about $1000 a pop once
    •always remember that your money will go further if you spend it on (a) good shoes and (b) good tailoring. This doesn't negate suit quality, but remember that a $150 men's wearhouse special with $50 of tailoring and $300 of shoe will look waaaaay better than the $400 boss suit off the rack and some clunky $100 johnston and murphys.

hey, it's my new post-m.b.a. plan: personal shopper!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I signed up for gilt a while back, but haven't bought anything because of hesitations about size. Are you familar enough with how certain brands fit you to buy online? Or do they have a good return policy?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
I signed up for gilt a while back, but haven't bought anything because of hesitations about size. Are you familar enough with how certain brands fit you to buy online? Or do they have a good return policy?

No I'm not commenting on suits (though I do find this thread kinda funny - $1k for a suit? :lol: ).

The gilt return policy - it varies from sale to sale. I've bought items that have been marked "final sale, no returns". I've also bought items (eg sweaters) that I've been able to return with minimal hassle. Just check the items you're thinking of buying, on the bottom right of the screen, it should tell you the policy for that piece/sale...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
sorry to bring the convo back to color...but if everyone is wearing black, as i have seen, even if wrong, and i don't want to stand out, then shouldn't i buy black also? i guess i'm looking for the realistic answer here...i want to buy a suit that in no way will get attention. honestly, after seeing nothing but black at school AND work, except a few guys that always stand out, i don't feel like taking a risk.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
My interview suit was navy with pinstripes. I also have a dark grey, a light colored suit, a grey pinstripe, and will probably pick up a plain navy at somepoint. Interview be very plain but from what I noticed visiting offices, people are slightly less conservative at a job than during an interview. Though I wouldnt be buying the stuff you see pro-football players wearing on sportcenter. Stay away from 5 button, red pinstriped suits.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
coolrun wrote:
sorry to bring the convo back to color...but if everyone is wearing black, as i have seen, even if wrong, and i don't want to stand out, then shouldn't i buy black also? i guess i'm looking for the realistic answer here...i want to buy a suit that in no way will get attention. honestly, after seeing nothing but black at school AND work, except a few guys that always stand out, i don't feel like taking a risk.

Wearing charcoal gray or navy blue will not make you stand out in a bad way at all. A solid dark suit will always fall on the conservative side, so you don't have to worry about that.

Though, in defense of the black suit, it does have its place in your wardrobe; but just don't make it your only or your first suit.
Send PM
General rule of thumb for business attire is that you can afford to be more fashion forward with your shirts, ties (and even shoes) so long as you keep your suit style conservative or understated -- but not the other way around (i.e. olive suits, Zoot suits, neon green pimp suits, 4+ button suits, unusual colors, etc. will not look appropriate no matter how conservative your shirts/ties are).

Charcoal gray, navy blue, and (now) black suits are all relatively conservative and understated. Pinstripes, checks or any sort of patterns are fine so long as they're subtle (i.e. it gives the suit a subtle texture from a distance, and you can't really tell that there's a pattern unless you're inappropriately close to the guy wearing the suit).

Shirts and ties again are where you can afford to be a little more fashion forward - you don't need to stick with boring solid white or solid blue. Go for all kinds of bold checks, windowpane checks, stripes, etc. if you want.

Some guys can break the rules and go bold (brown suits, etc.) but if you're not a particularly fashion forward guy, keep it simple and conservative to start.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I am happy to report that Brooks Brothers now are having a 30% discount sale (code:friend75 Thanks Solaris1) and an additional 15% if you open an account.

I bought two 1818 madison for $890+tax. (original price: $1,996) and 3 shirts and two ties. I think I will be covered for all my clothing needs for the next three years.

Suit including pants, they will tailor for you. Shirts you will have to tail them yourself.

Any one know what kind of shoes and belts are good for the interviews? Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Another tip I forgot to mention.
If you are going the MTM or bespoke route, and you're fairly confident (heh) you won't be gaining too much weight, it may be worth paying for an extra pair of pants. Jackets get much less wear and tear so they can last for a long time; pants, however, essentially take a pounding every time you wear them so they always wear out first.

If you get a MTM/bespoke suit in a fabric and color that you really like, do give some serious thought about paying a bit more for an extra pair of pants. A suit that's well taken care of, can last a long long time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
I picked up a suit this weekend at the Barney's outlet. It's a navy blue Hugo 2-button, which has an extremely subtle striping pattern (only visible at about 5-10 feet away) and was discounted from $1098 to $547. Hopefully this will be appropriate for interviews. I'm tempted to pick up a Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald charcoal suit in the sale mentioned above, but I may try to hold out for the Nordy's half-yearly sale coming up. I think I could probably find a suit of similar quality for $500-$650 or so.

I nearly bit on a pair of Cole Haan's that were also about half-off, but didn't really like the Nike-Air sole they come with. They still look like normal, leather-bottom dress shoes, but are apparently more of a PITA to replace/repair.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I know this thread is almost beat to death but wanted to give an update on sales for people still looking for sales.

The Brooks Brothers semi annual sale starting June 22nd-ish is going to be 50% of not the normal 25% and if you sign up for a BB credit card you get another 15% off (that's about $320 a suit). I walked into BB today to see if I could find a blue fitz to add to my rotation, it was back ordered so I went ahead and had them put an order in and ship to the store, they'll give me sale price when it gets in.

So if you wear a common size and worried your local BB might sell through it quick you might want to go in and see the stock.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Just to add to that, Nordstrom's half yearly sale for Men starts June 19th.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
lsuguy7 wrote:
I know this thread is almost beat to death but wanted to give an update on sales for people still looking for sales.

The Brooks Brothers semi annual sale starting June 22nd-ish is going to be 50% of not the normal 25% and if you sign up for a BB credit card you get another 15% off (that's about $320 a suit). I walked into BB today to see if I could find a blue fitz to add to my rotation, it was back ordered so I went ahead and had them put an order in and ship to the store, they'll give me sale price when it gets in.

So if you wear a common size and worried your local BB might sell through it quick you might want to go in and see the stock.

Thanks for the tip! I will head into BB tomorrow and see what I can find. I was also planning to check out the Nordstrom half-yearly sale, which is coming up in a couple weeks. Then again, I usually only find Hugo Boss suits there. I like Hugo suits, but want to try something different.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5