Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:19

Going on Right now:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suits

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 21

Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 11:44
I have 3 of the Madison suits, and I think I paid between $0-$20 for alterations on each of them. Brooks does the basic alterations for free and charges pretty reasonable fees for any of the other tweaks they have to do. Of course, your body type may call for more involved alteration, but I've found that nicer suits tend to need less work. By comparison, I remember in my early days spending $299 for a suit at Men's Wearhouse, only to be charged close to $100 for alterations. You're much better off grabbing a Brooks suit on sale.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 10:51
$50 in alterations for me - navy blue fitz, I guess it's now the gmatclub official uni
Current Student

Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 10:16
I don't know how you guys can fit into the Fitzgeralds, but they are nice looking suits.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 10:30
It looked gigantic on me just less gigantic than the other suits. I need about an 8-10 inch drop in my suits making them a nightmare for the tailor.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 04:43
Just picked up a Madison suit from BB yesterday, total bill came to $474 with tax and alterations. I think I paid about $20 in alterations because I needed the jacket taken in a bit around the waist. Shortening jacket sleeves, pants length/cuffs and taking in the pants waist all were free.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 13:18
MeddlingKid wrote:
I went to Nordstrom today to check out their stock, in hopes of picking something up during their June 19 sale. Unfortunately, the options were limited in my size. The guy said the big sale is going to be in July (I believe it's the half yearly sale). I'm definitely going to order a BB Fitzgerald in charcoal, but want to pick up a third suit. If I will have a navy subtle pinstripe and a plain charcoal, would it be best to go plain navy or subtle stripe (or herringbone) charcoal for the third suit?

I sorta want to wait and see what Nordstrom has to offer in July, as it sounds like I might be able to find a Canali or Zegna for about $800-$1000. But, a Brooks Brothers 1818 suit at $500 seems like too good a deal to pass up.

Speaking of the Brooks Brothers suits, is the following cut okay for recruiting? It's very slender and has somewhat narrow lapels (would this be a 60s suit look?).
[url]
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSect ... ion_Id=575[/url]

There was this nice saleswoman at Nordstrom. She found a great Boss charcoal suit for $525 (retail $799). So Nordstrom would be the place to go if you can talk to the sales people out there. I couldn't find this suit on their website and it was not on display at the store too. The annual sale at Nordstrom starts on July 17th.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 08:47
I disagree that you can't wear black suits at business functions. I see it all the time from top executives.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 16:46
If there is a nordstrom rack or Saks off 5th you can usually find high end suits more than half off. I went tie shopping the other day and they had suits for 60-75% off at both stores. Some nice 1500 suits for 500 or so.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 04:24
River is on the money, though I wouldn't try doing B-school interviews in a Paul Smith suit.

Current Student

Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 04:37
DirtyZ wrote:
I disagree that you can't wear black suits at business functions. I see it all the time from top executives.

It's not that you can't wear black, it's just that it's not a safe bet when you can easily wear charcoal or navy. I bought a black suit for interviews coming out of undergrad, but I didn't know better, and I don't think the recruiters expected much from college kids. Now, since everyone is older and we're supposed to be professionals, we may come across people who are pretty judgmental when it comes to appearance, even if their opinions are largely unjustified. I wouldn't be surprised if I overheard recruiters saying something to the effect of "Check out captain awesome over there in the black suit ... should we tell him where the funeral is?"
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 04:54
Filene's Basement can also be a decent bet when it comes to suits. I picked up a great Michael Kors grey suit a few months ago (a bit "fashion-forward", but still perfectly ok for work) for a little over $200.

I think they're in chapter 11, but I think their stores are still open.
Current Student
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 06:15
I've found this site to be pretty helpful:

http://www.theguidetomenssuits.com/index.html

Especially since I wear camos to work everyday...
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 23:23
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have any experience purchasing clothing from bonobos.com? I actually heard about the company when reading an article about the founders, who are both Stanford GSB alumni. Many of their trousers seem like they go well with business casual settings. The prices are a bit on the higher end, but various web reviews are positive about the quality and value. Like with suits though, maybe having nicer pants fit in better at the East coast schools vs. West coast ones?
Current Student

Re: Suits [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 09:18
Brooks Brothers 3-Day Suit Sale - 1818 Suits for $450-$550 (50% Off)

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSect ... MC-083109d
Re: Suits   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2009, 09:18