Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Suits [#permalink]
It looked gigantic on me just less gigantic than the other suits. I need about an 8-10 inch drop in my suits making them a nightmare for the tailor.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Just picked up a Madison suit from BB yesterday, total bill came to $474 with tax and alterations. I think I paid about $20 in alterations because I needed the jacket taken in a bit around the waist. Shortening jacket sleeves, pants length/cuffs and taking in the pants waist all were free.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
MeddlingKid wrote:
I went to Nordstrom today to check out their stock, in hopes of picking something up during their June 19 sale. Unfortunately, the options were limited in my size. The guy said the big sale is going to be in July (I believe it's the half yearly sale). I'm definitely going to order a BB Fitzgerald in charcoal, but want to pick up a third suit. If I will have a navy subtle pinstripe and a plain charcoal, would it be best to go plain navy or subtle stripe (or herringbone) charcoal for the third suit?

I sorta want to wait and see what Nordstrom has to offer in July, as it sounds like I might be able to find a Canali or Zegna for about $800-$1000. But, a Brooks Brothers 1818 suit at $500 seems like too good a deal to pass up.

Speaking of the Brooks Brothers suits, is the following cut okay for recruiting? It's very slender and has somewhat narrow lapels (would this be a 60s suit look?).
[url]
https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSect ... ion_Id=575[/url]

There was this nice saleswoman at Nordstrom. She found a great Boss charcoal suit for $525 (retail $799). So Nordstrom would be the place to go if you can talk to the sales people out there. I couldn't find this suit on their website and it was not on display at the store too. The annual sale at Nordstrom starts on July 17th.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I disagree that you can't wear black suits at business functions. I see it all the time from top executives.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
If there is a nordstrom rack or Saks off 5th you can usually find high end suits more than half off. I went tie shopping the other day and they had suits for 60-75% off at both stores. Some nice 1500 suits for 500 or so.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
River is on the money, though I wouldn't try doing B-school interviews in a Paul Smith suit.
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
DirtyZ wrote:
I disagree that you can't wear black suits at business functions. I see it all the time from top executives.

It's not that you can't wear black, it's just that it's not a safe bet when you can easily wear charcoal or navy. I bought a black suit for interviews coming out of undergrad, but I didn't know better, and I don't think the recruiters expected much from college kids. Now, since everyone is older and we're supposed to be professionals, we may come across people who are pretty judgmental when it comes to appearance, even if their opinions are largely unjustified. I wouldn't be surprised if I overheard recruiters saying something to the effect of "Check out captain awesome over there in the black suit ... should we tell him where the funeral is?"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Filene's Basement can also be a decent bet when it comes to suits. I picked up a great Michael Kors grey suit a few months ago (a bit "fashion-forward", but still perfectly ok for work) for a little over $200.

I think they're in chapter 11, but I think their stores are still open.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
I've found this site to be pretty helpful:

https://www.theguidetomenssuits.com/index.html

Especially since I wear camos to work everyday...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have any experience purchasing clothing from bonobos.com? I actually heard about the company when reading an article about the founders, who are both Stanford GSB alumni. Many of their trousers seem like they go well with business casual settings. The prices are a bit on the higher end, but various web reviews are positive about the quality and value. Like with suits though, maybe having nicer pants fit in better at the East coast schools vs. West coast ones?
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Brooks Brothers 3-Day Suit Sale - 1818 Suits for $450-$550 (50% Off)

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSect ... MC-083109d
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd revive it because I just bought 2 Jack Victor suits from MWH in a BOGO sale.

Wondering if I got ripped off though, both suit ticket prices were ~$1000 and so I pretty much got both for $500 a piece (not including alterations). The lady told me the Navy suit I got was Super 150 wool but from what I've been reading around the internet, Jack Victors are usually Super 120 (on the high end). I've also been reading and found that Jack Victors are only half-canvassed, although when I wore it, it seemed to drape over my body fairly well.

I don't know a ton about suits (although I've been reading a lot online), but is $500 for the Jack Victor "Super 150" a rip-off (I know the BOGO at MWH is kind of a gimmick)? It seems like a lot of money for a suit and I thought I was buying a fairly high quality suit without going custom, but from what I've been reading Jack Victors seem like a lower-mid quality suit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Looks great)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5