Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 04:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 10:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:07) wrong based on 1 sessions
Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.

A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

What is the difference between CAPABILITY and ABILITY?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: ability vs. capability [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 10:39
lexis wrote:
Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.

A. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal
B. an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing
C. an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing
D. a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal
E. a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

In my opinion, the difference is very little. Here are the definitions I looked up:

a·bil·i·ty Audio Help /əˈbɪlɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-bil-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties. 1. power or capacity to do or act physically, mentally, legally, morally, financially, etc.
2. competence in an activity or occupation because of one's skill, training, or other qualification: the ability to sing well.
3. abilities, talents; special skills or aptitudes: Composing music is beyond his abilities.

ca·pa·bil·i·ty Audio Help /ˌkeɪpəˈbɪlɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[key-puh-bil-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties. 1. the quality of being capable; capacity; ability: His capability was unquestionable.
2. the ability to undergo or be affected by a given treatment or action: the capability of glass in resisting heat.
3. Usually, capabilities. qualities, abilities, features, etc., that can be used or developed; potential: Though dilapidated, the house has great capabilities.

Hope this helps

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: ability vs. capability [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 12:52
lexis wrote:

I will pick D here.

Capability Vs ability (Source: internet)
Whenever possible, try to make your choice of words precise. Use ability for a skill or an aptitude (especially when referring to people):

Because of his speaking ability, he received many invitations to give keynote addresses at the society's conferences.

Use capability to describe a wider range of functions or an untested skill or function:

The capabilities of this new frequency band make it attractive for several applications.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: ability vs. capability [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 02:14
lexis wrote:
Sorry! D is NOT correct.

oh!! Does "it" has no clear referent here? it can refer to "Sulfer dioxide" or "pollutant"

Is answer E?

Thanks

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: ability vs. capability [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 02:46
Tough I am not sure "capability-ability" issue.
But I don't agree that "it" has not clear referrant! ( rep : x2suresh ).
"it" clearly refers to SO2.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: ability vs. capability [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 03:22
I found this on the web----

capability often refers to one's maximum ability, to one's limits of capacity for doing/accomplishing something;

on the other hand, ability is more applicable to the generic, non-quantifiable quality of being able to do something/capable of doing something
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: ability vs. capability [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 20:56
lexis wrote:

Guys, don't you think that it's the choice between especially/specially rather than ability/capability? Specially is used for a particular purpose. Especially is used for emphasis. So here, I believe A is the right choice.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: ability vs. capability [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 00:05
A for me...

it has to be to deal with..

thus B & C are out.

amongst A,D,E -> "a specially serious pollutant" sounds awkward

thus A for me

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(A), Wharton(W), Columbia(D)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: ability vs. capability [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 01:28
sanjay_gmat wrote:

Guys, don't you think that it's the choice between especially/specially rather than ability/capability? Specially is used for a particular purpose. Especially is used for emphasis. So here, I believe A is the right choice.

I agree. I also don't think it is about CAPABILITY and ABILITY.
First I eliminated specially because it does not fit here.

Then

Highlighted fragments of B and C both sounded awkward and wordy.
So I picked A.
Re: SC: ability vs. capability   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2008, 01:28