Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 06:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

60% (01:52) correct 40% (00:45) wrong based on 101 sessions
gmatee wrote:
Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.

(A) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal

(B) an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing

(C) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing

(D) a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal

(E) a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

between A and D , I choose A for 'ability to deal' sounded better.

IMO A.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 06:07
IMO A

Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal with all other pollutants.

(A) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal --> ability to sounds idiomatic. Besides, no grammatical or ambiguous modifier errors. Hence, the best

(B) an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing --> because of ... sounds ambiguous: what cause the diminish ?

(C) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing -->capability ... in dealing sounds unidiomatic. I think it should be capability of

(D) a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal -->unidiomatic: capability ... to

(E) a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal -->same error as B's
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 06:10
Yup, its between A & D.

A has the correct idiom : ability to, but I'm consfused between "an especially Vs a specially". So I chose D :)
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 19 May 2009, 14:35
It can't be A,C, or D.

IT can refer to sulfur dioxide or aCid rain.

This leaves B and E.

Is it especially or specially?

Especially - something that is "common/more likely", vs specially - something that is "special" in nature.

I'd go with B, as it seems to fit better in the context of the sentence.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 04:36
What happend to the original poster and post? where did he go without posting the OA?
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 05:22
ugimba wrote:
What happend to the original poster and post? where did he go without posting the OA?

I've noticed, most of his posts have been deleted. :s
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 17:43
bigfernhead wrote:
It can't be A,C, or D.

IT can refer to sulfur dioxide or aCid rain.

This leaves B and E.

Is it especially or specially?

Especially - something that is "common/more likely", vs specially - something that is "special" in nature.

I'd go with B, as it seems to fit better in the context of the sentence.

But does not the fact that Sulphur Dioxide is the clear subject make IT correspond to it? I would have gone with A too.

hmmmm

-talent is the desire to practice-

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 09:30
Let me chip in

OA is A
Gmat prep question.

Is ability of same as capability of ?

Minheequang wrote:
IMO A

(A) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal --> ability to sounds idiomatic. Besides, no grammatical or ambiguous modifier errors. Hence, the best

(B) an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing --> because of ... sounds ambiguous: what cause the diminish ?

(C) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing -->capability ... in dealing sounds unidiomatic. I think it should be capability of

(D) a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal -->unidiomatic: capability ... to

(E) a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal -->same error as B's

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 09:28
A for me.

"ability to deal" is correct

"capability in dealing" is unidiomatic.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 11:31
seekmba wrote:
A for me.

"ability to deal" is correct

"capability in dealing" is unidiomatic.

And whats wrong with D??
Many thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 20:23
IMO A.

I faced the same question when I was taking the paper based SETS..
"ability to" is preferred to "capability of" .. Hence only A and E remain..

Between these 2, A is the better choice

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 10:38
i vote for D

dont anderstand why the D is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 15:50
ugimba wrote:
gmatee wrote:

(A) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the respiratory system’s ability to deal

(B) an especially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s capability of dealing

(C) an especially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system in dealing

(D) a specially serious pollutant because it diminishes the capability of the respiratory system to deal

(E) a specially serious pollutant because of diminishing the respiratory system’s ability to deal

IMO A.

Can someone please explain why It has clear antecendent as "SO2". and why can not it refer to pollutants ?

This sentence is Incorrect .
INCORRECT :John encouraged Jerry to start a pest control business because he felt that the residents of the city would be willing to pay for the same.

Here He can refer to John or Jerry
Thanks in Advance.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
+1 for A.

There are three possible antecedents of "it":

1) Sulphur dioxide

2) acid rain : the phrase containing acid rain is mentioned as a modifier(seperated by commas) - a classic middleman. It is not the subject of the sentence and if you remove it from the sentence, the sentence will still hold. Hence ruled out as antecedent.

3) pollutant: pollutant in the sentence is used as a category/type and not as a specific entity. It refers to a specific entity, hence pollutant can't be the antecedent.

So "it" indeed refers to Sulphur dioxide.

INCORRECT :John encouraged Jerry to start a pest control business because he felt that the residents of the city would be willing to pay for the same.

Here the issue is the ambiguous answer to the question "Who felt that the residents ....?". Was it John or was it Jerry. Since the answer can be any of the two, usage of "he" is ambiguous here.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 05:56
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 11:46
snipertrader wrote:
Let me chip in

OA is A
Gmat prep question.

Is ability of same as capability of ?

Minheequang wrote:
IMO A

Is ability of same as capability of ? ...... both are incorrect
ability to
capability to
capable of
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Sulfur dioxide [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 11:52
rphardu wrote:
ugimba wrote:
gmatee wrote:

IMO A.

Can someone please explain why It has clear antecendent as "SO2". and why can not it refer to pollutants ?

This sentence is Incorrect .

Here He can refer to John or Jerry
Thanks in Advance.

prep is not an absolute rule, i mean if no better option is available then i can be considered correct
VP
VP
Followers: 202

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 12:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Sulfur dioxide, a major contributor to acid rain, is an   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2014, 12:38