Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 11:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
WE 1: Oil and gas
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 01:24
Hi guys, I'm a Fall 2010 B school admit and am fascinated to see how the internship hunt pans out this year. I've seen on this forum that summer 2009 was a total bloodbath - lots of people struggling to find positions, especially internationals and career changers.

As an international career changer, I'm particularly keen to see how things go down this year because it'll be my turn next year...

If I said something intelligent, it was probably by accident. But click "kudos" anyway - it will make me happy.

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 04:39
The on-campus interviews are just getting started at Tuck.

From the number of job postings things are much better this year than last year. If the economy keeps improving, I think this will be a pretty solid year for internships.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 08:42
i'm looking for internships now. from what i hear, it's better this yr.

but it's harder for me of course since i don't start school 'til fall of 2010, so i'm applying for associate level internships vs. 1st mba students. still though, it's not impossible and that's what i gotta do since i'll be in a 1 yr program.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 08:58
Okay. Just made a decision on summer internship destination. I am indeed headed to NYC for a finance internship. I was really down to 2 opportunities on the top of my list. I did my 4th round interview with one of them last week (Solaris1 - this is the bank that we talked about before. They sure made me interview with crap load of people like you've predicted) and was notified this morning that I wouldn't be extended an offer. As a result, I am going to accept a summer internship at a boutique investment bank (without mentioning names - hint: their name sounds like a type of a reptile) in restructuring. I chose restructuring over their M&A practice because I once had a dream of buying up distressed companies, take them private, restructure its operations, and then take it public again for profit. This is soooo not what I thought I would be doing post-MBA but hell, it's too good of an opportunity to reject it and spend my summer at a Fortune 500 tech company in a mgt training program.Any other Class of 2011 make a decision on their summer plans yet?

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:54
I've also signed an internship offer for the summer, and will be heading back to NJ and interning at a well-known multi-national healthcare company. Overall from talking with friends here it seems like recruiting was better this year. I know many people who were choosing between multiple offers. But for career changers and internationals it was still pretty challenging since companies were looking for "safer" candidates. It seems like the big change from pre-recession was that there is more of an expectation that finding full-time employment this fall at somewhere other than your intern employer could be challenging, so a lot of people were making decisoins about internships while thinking about whether they'd want to work for that company post-graduation. There was a lot less thinking about using the internship to try something out then look for a real job when you got back to school for the 2nd year.

SVP
SVP

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 16:54
Jerz wrote:
I've also signed an internship offer for the summer, and will be heading back to NJ and interning at a well-known multi-national healthcare company. .

LMAO! Is this the same company that you, fatb, solaris, and terp all predicted for summer internship before start of bschool?

Posted from my mobile device Image

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 08:04
nink wrote:
They sure made me interview with crap load of people like you've predicted) and was notified this morning that I wouldn't be extended an offer. As a result, I am going to accept a summer internship at a boutique investment bank (without mentioning names - hint: their name sounds like a type of a reptile) in restructuring.

Jefferies, named after my pet gecko?

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 10:42
Congratulations, ninky! Excellent, excellent place to work at!

nink wrote:
As a result, I am going to accept a summer internship at a boutique investment bank (without mentioning names - hint: their name sounds like a type of a reptile) in restructuring.

I'm still looking, but that's mostly because I only applied to very few on-campus recruiting opportunities (interviewed, and subsequently got dinged), and now want to do something rather specific that's a bit non-traditional as far as the MBA goes. We'll see. There will always be the World Cup in South Africa come summer! Ha.

Investment banking did fairly well here. JPMorgan and Barclays made the most offers, I believe (I want to say 10-ish each?) Marketing did very well too with a surprisingly large number of people going to big CPG companies in the New York Metro. I know of a few people who accepted BCG, Bain, and Booz offers but I'm not really tuned to the consulting grapevine on campus.

Things look good and there's certainly no sense of despair among the folks who're still looking. Yet.
SVP
SVP

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 12:02
solaris1 wrote:
I'm still looking, but that's mostly because I only applied to very few on-campus recruiting opportunities (interviewed, and subsequently got dinged), and now want to do something rather specific that's a bit non-traditional as far as the MBA goes. We'll see. There will always be the World Cup in South Africa come summer! Ha.

I wish you the best solaris1! I know you will find something no matter what.

And speaking of World Cup this summer, I just know that I am gonna eat lots of lunch at bars again..... :-D (or am I allowed to eat lunch anymore?)

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 130 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
I landed my internship in early February (on-campus recruiting). Will be doing brand management for a major global CPG.

"George is getting upset!"

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 07:52
nink wrote:
Jerz wrote:
I've also signed an internship offer for the summer, and will be heading back to NJ and interning at a well-known multi-national healthcare company. .

LMAO! Is this the same company that you, fatb, solaris, and terp all predicted for summer internship before start of bschool?

Posted from my mobile device Image

I think so, but I've killed off so many brain cells since school started that I can't exactly remember what we talked about last summer.

Good luck at Geico this summer.

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 02:42
Congrats guys! It is so nice to see familiar names again.

At Booth, this year seemed to be better than last year, but I still know that many of my classmates are without an offer at this point. Internationals looking for positions in the US are definitelly struggling (I get the feeling that internationals from English speaking countries faired relatively well). Having said that once they start focusing on their home market, the game seems to suddenley change. What I didn't realize was how stressful recruiting could be. Rejection after rejection was sometimes a bit too much especially after putting so much hours in networking. I thought I was going to lose it.

I actually put good effort in off-campus recruiting during the fall and it turned out to be fruitful. I will be doing investment management at this fund. I didn't think I would be doing anything financy, but oh well, it seems like a great opportunity, and I don't have anything else lined up. So there it goes.
SVP
SVP

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 07:26
Congrats Raabend and Krispy!

And I will say hello to the caveman for you, Jerz.

Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 5

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 11:24
well i thought i'd jump back in here and update. i'm doing my internship at CICC in china. almost sure it'll be in ibanking (since it's their core business), but not sure which product group yet. since i don't have 1 yr of mba education under my belt yet, they're gonna pay me slave labor wages (i.e. local chinese analyst wages), but they'll give me more interesting work to do, given my previous experiences.

all i gotta say was, this place was damn hard to get into without an mba! :x but they are pretty prestigious in china though, so i'm really glad to have the opportunity to intern there, even if i'm being paid crap all.

hopefully it'll be easier next yr with the mba.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
Found this from our CMC blog...companies recruiting on campus was up 24% from last year, the number of interview spots available was up 16% increase over last year. The number of companies indicating they are willing to hire international students has increased by 40% over last year.

So things were definitely much better this year than last year. Personally I think next year will be even better and closer to normal as long as we dont go back into the recession.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Oxford'11
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 23:58
DrSatisfaction wrote:
well i thought i'd jump back in here and update. i'm doing my internship at CICC in china. almost sure it'll be in ibanking (since it's their core business), but not sure which product group yet. since i don't have 1 yr of mba education under my belt yet, they're gonna pay me slave labor wages (i.e. local chinese analyst wages), but they'll give me more interesting work to do, given my previous experiences.

all i gotta say was, this place was damn hard to get into without an mba! :x but they are pretty prestigious in china though, so i'm really glad to have the opportunity to intern there, even if i'm being paid crap all.

hopefully it'll be easier next yr with the mba.

Congratulations, Dr! I hope you'll get interesting work even though not the big bucks. :-) Are you considering also an internship for the summer of 2011? I think Oxford web-site mentions that it's possible, but the focus is on SCP.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 12:39
What is up, 2011ers?!

I'll be working on an energy efficiency project in Plano, TX this summer as an Environmental Defense Fund Climate Corps Fellow. Anyone have suggestions on what to do in Plano and/or Dallas?

Say "hi" to Martin for me this summer, nink.

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

SVP
SVP

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 13:17
Yahsek wrote:
What is up, 2011ers?!

I'll be working on an energy efficiency project in Plano, TX this summer as an Environmental Defense Fund Climate Corps Fellow. Anyone have suggestions on what to do in Plano and/or Dallas?

Say "hi" to Martin for me this summer, nink.

Haha, congrats on your internship Yahsek.

And I sure will send him your regards. :-D

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 18:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I recognize that my posting has been spotty at best, but I wanted to give a quick update. I'll be working in sustainable product strategy at a major chemical manufacturer this summer. As someone who is quite young (just turned 24) and didn't have any relevant business experience (came from TFA), I was fairly concerned going into the recruiting season. I count myself fantastically fortunate that I had a couple really good offers to choose from. If you run across folks that are concerned about age or experience, do send them my way.

Best,
dharmabum
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 09:54
Hi dharmabum,

Congratulations on securing your internship at Dow, it sounds really interesting. Could I ask, do you have any previous experiences that you believe better positioned you for a job in sustainable project strategy?

thanks for your time and have a good day.

-curious

dharmabum wrote:
Hi all,

I recognize that my posting has been spotty at best, but I wanted to give a quick update. I'll be working in sustainable product strategy at Dow Chemical this summer. As someone who is quite young (just turned 24) and didn't have any relevant business experience (came from TFA), I was fairly concerned going into the recruiting season. I count myself fantastically fortunate that I had a couple really good offers to choose from. If you run across folks that are concerned about age or experience, do send them my way.

Best,
dharmabum
Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going?   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2010, 09:54