Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Summer Schools - are they a good idea in my case?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 266

GMAT ToolKit User
Summer Schools - are they a good idea in my case? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 02:17
Dear Precision Essay Team,

as you are, in my eyes, an elite consulting company, I wanted to know your opinion on US summer schools. I'm sure you can evaluate the usefulness of such summer programmes, based on your experience with many candidates.

A few words about me:
European, 25, BSc in Business Administration (3,2), MSc in Financial management (Valedictorian 3,7), heavy international experience within Europe, having some fortcoming management consulting interviews. 4 years of work experience in Project management (own start-up) with internships in Big-4 and financial institutions.

So...right at the beginning - I know the typical summer schools are paid and not that competitive. So they generally do not contribute that much to your profile. Therefore I've picked both the SIGM (Stanford) and SBSP (Booth), which seem to be pretty picky and offer 4 week programmes. My main goals for doing such a summer schools are:
- to show dedication,
- further develop some skills (although as a business major I doubt that would be the fact - most programmes seem to be developed as mini MBA's for non-business majors)
- networking and have some experience in USA
- just put a strong brand on my CV, as my previous education institutions may be well-known in some parts of Europe, but are not known outside their respective countries

4 arguments, which should cost me between USD 8,000 and 10,000. Do you think it's worth it? Wiould they contribute in some way to my future MBA applications (2013 or 2014)?

In parallel, I try to gather some scholarship for two other summer programmes - some summer seminars talking about freedom, liberty, market economy etc., which may be for free (again in the USA).

So, I'll very much appreciate feedback and insights from people who have visited such programmes at Booth, Stanford or Harvard (though a regular summer schools without getting a certificate or so). How did you feel about it?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Regards,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 536 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Summer Schools - are they a good idea in my case? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well, you are right about most summer programs not being all that selective, and you have done a good job to select the more prestigious ones. Will it help on your resume? Sure! It's not the same as an MBA but it can't hurt that's for sure!

Is it a good idea? I think so. IT maybe a "light program" but still spending two months on campus in the US, living a new life meeting new people, etc. etc. who knows how it can change your life? And since you would be going anyways, since you are considering taking an MBA later, you might as well stay an extra week or two and organize visits to schools you are considering for an MBA, that way you don't have to fly back again next year!
:)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 266

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Summer Schools - are they a good idea in my case? [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 03:52
Hey,

thanks very much for the reply! And the great idea of combining the summer school with some Business School visits. That's a wonderful idea and I'm sure it'll help me when I narrow down my MBA list.

Do you think I should have a preference between Stanford and Chicago? Especially having in mind the consulting industry, which I'm targeting?

PS: I would like to make use of your homepage offer and get an profile evaluation and discuss with you my forthcoming MBA. When is the best time to do that and fill-in the form? I did that about 2 months ago, but unfortunately after having filled everything the homepage just broke down and I guess you haven't got my enquiry.

Regards,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 536 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Summer Schools - are they a good idea in my case? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I would say Stanford, cause... it's Stanford :)
Best time for you to fill out our from? right now! :)
If you have any problems with the form this time around, just drop us an email, that will also work (although if the form works (And it should) it's of course better cause we ask all the questions we need in it)
Looking forward to hearing from you

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 8

Re: Summer Schools - are they a good idea in my case? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 23:08
This post received
KUDOS
First of all, I believe that the seminars, which you mention, are of low utility to you, because such programs work well for people who do not have much international experience. You seem to have much of it, so I suspect that you'll not benefit a lot . All in all, they usually don't assess anything, being a very vague indicator of your abilities and commitment in general. On the other hand, you'll have the possibility of getting around some business schools, which itself is a very important thing (unfortunately the USA is not so small country).
On the other hand, you'll have much more fruitful experience if you embark on summer programs at Stanford ot Booth. The school name itself plays a grea role when evaluating profiles. You'll also have plenty of time to network and get close with your classmates there. But your biggest considerations, I suppose, is the tuition fees of these programs. We all know that they are mainly offered to raise schools' revenues in the summer and they definitely come at a great price. Some people claim that a $100k MBA isn't worth the investion, so what about a summer course that costs $10k. However, it all depends on you pocket...

I've been already admitted to the summer university at Copenhagen Business School, which seems to have a good reputation across Europe. But in my case, I have to prove that I am capable of coping with business issues, because my undergraduate degree is Law. Moreover, I've been also admitted to a seminar named "Energy and Sustainability", which folloows the summer univeristy. But I am more inclined to pursue my master degree here in Europe, so it is maybe a matter of preferred destination, in your case the USA.

KUDOS needed URGENTLY. Thank you in advance and be ACTIVE!