Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SUNY Albany or W&M...Help Please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SUNY Albany or W&M...Help Please [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 14:02
I am trying to decide between a state university and a private school for my masters of accounting. Specifically I am choosing between SUNY Albany and William & Mary. Both are good programs but reputation obviously goes to W&M. My main question is if I want big 4 audit/assurance is Albany good enough to place, is it a "feeder" program to nyc big 4? I am a NY resident so tuition is dirt cheap and I should probably get an assistantship/scholarship of some kind.

I just want to make sure I am not passing up my chances to attend the better school just to find out my job prospects are shot because I chose Albany. Are there any people who work/worked big 4 and know of Albany grad representation? Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: SUNY Albany or W&M...Help Please [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 21:22
I went to W&M for college but stuff I say may be a little dated only because I graduated in 2006.

So you know about W&M's reputation, it is mostly drawn from the undergraduate student body, and the Law School. The business school generally draws its rep from the undergraduate program rather than the MBA. That said, William and Mary did place a respectable number of its BBA's and from my friends who were business majors, they knew MaCCs who got into the Big Four, and other respected government contractors, in particular for the DC area, which is the biggest market for W&M alumni, given that it is a state university and most students are from Northern Virginia (aka Nova), hence my nickname.

W&M does have a large number of its out of state undergraduate student body (35% aren't Virginians) from New York, and there is a good number of alumni who are in NYC (both NY and non-NY'ers), even for the big companies. But either way, W&M places better for the DC market than it will for NY.

As far as I know about the MaCC at W&M, many of the students in that program, if not most went there straight from college or close to it as well.

Since you are from NY state, I would think that you will have a better idea on how SUNY Albany fares in terms of NYC firm placement than I do.
Re: SUNY Albany or W&M...Help Please   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2012, 21:22