Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 20:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Super Confused?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Super Confused? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 12:42
When I first took the GMAT last Sept. I scored a 480. Pretty upset about my score, I hired a tutor and signed up for another GMAT test. With the help of a tutor, my score jumped up to a 630 according to Kaplan CAT software and the GMAT Prep software. But, when I took the official test again in Dec, I scored a 490. Needless to say, I'm super confused and still really upset. How could I have scored multiple times on current GMAT Prep and Kaplan Prep CAT tests around 630 but only score a 490 on my GMAT test. Even my tutor was shocked. Since, most of the first and second rounds for the schools of my choice have passed, I decided not to apply to a MBA program this year and up until recently stop studying all together for the GMAT test. A month has passed and I have not picked up a single GMAT book. I took a Kaplan Premier CAT test today and to my surprise, I scored a 590 without any recent review. What in the world is going on!

Has this happened to anyone else? Why is my actual GMAT score so far from my Kaplan and GMAT Prep test results? Does anyone have any advice? Can anyone recommend better practice software?

I'm supper confused !!! HELP!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: Super Confused? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 13:05
There's a free software on the official GMAT website. Should be pretty close to the difficulty of the actual test.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 5

Re: Super Confused? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 13:35
This post received
KUDOS
I think u should gv test again n again & see ur scores whether they are showing this much difference @ home too.

give all KAPLAN
give all GMATprep.

These 6 test will show u ur performance & u can judge by them why u r getting so much variations.
1) prepare your chart
2) see ur verbal & quant score seperately
3) in which section u r getting more variation in scores.
4) if in both then u need to focus on questions
5) if 1 of them then u need to buck up on that part
6) if u r getting good scores @ home then u may be getting nervous @ test center.
7) last but not the least have a microscopic view ( if u r going wrong, u r goin wrong in which section, verbal,quant if verbal then sc, cr, rc if sc then parallelism, modifiers, pronouns, comparisons, idioms )

I was also feeling nervous when I was going for GMATprep ( not GMAT) for 1st time coz I knew dat I wont b doing good in verbal. Then I scored q47 v21. Then I rescheduled GMAT. On that day, I realised when we are obsessed with something consider it as a "DO OR DIE SITUATION" & hv fear that we won't score good, our confidence simply shatters. So, be positive n simply learn by posting questions n clarifying your doubts. Note them whenever you feel like. Have 1 diary with u. Don't let ur doubt unsolved. Ask them till u feel satisfied. Remember-"THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT".

warm regards,
asunshine

Last edited by asunshine on 25 Jan 2010, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Super Confused? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 14:04
tan888 wrote:
There's a free software on the official GMAT website. Should be pretty close to the difficulty of the actual test.

Is that different than the GMAT Prep software? Because that's where I got that software from
Re: Super Confused?   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2010, 14:04