Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Super confused with SC, and looks like i am still standing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Super confused with SC, and looks like i am still standing [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 21:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Super confused with SC, and looks like i am still standing where i was when i started.
SC is getting on to me, particularly -ing modifiers - gerund, participles, adjectives, modifiers.
I tried reading explanations, which by the way consumes a lot of time, and every question in the forums seem to have different explanations and different approaches from the explainers, their are more exceptions than rules.

Is their any comprehensive guide or resource which can be read for these topics, which explains majority of rules.

Also I have some questions:
EXAMPLE: It is raining at the moment. / The dog is barking at the clown.
In these examples why is -ing form, raining and barking, a participle and not a gerund.

In, 'It is raining at the moment.' - what is the subject and what is the object.

thanks.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 20

Re: Super confused with SC [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 08:32
cumulonimbus wrote:
Super confused with SC, and looks like i am still standing where i was when i started.
SC is getting on to me, particularly -ing modifiers - gerund, participles, adjectives, modifiers.
I tried reading explanations, which by the way consumes a lot of time, and every question in the forums seem to have different explanations and different approaches from the explainers, their are more exceptions than rules.

Is their any comprehensive guide or resource which can be read for these topics, which explains majority of rules.

In these examples why is -ing form, raining and barking, a participle and not a gerund.

In, 'It is raining at the moment.' - what is the subject and what is the object.

thanks.

First, you may decide to learn from someone who knows better than you by meeting at a regular period;
better still, register with a good prep if you have the money and time.
There are varied gmat learning resources online that, if care is not taken, you may get confused as to which
materials to use. You may refer here: gmat-tools-119941.html?fl=menu

Second, note that both sentences indicate actions in the present moment - the use of "IS" connotes present participles.
"is raining..." and "is barking..."
The use of "it" however, does not refer to a particular subject... Just a statement of fact.

Examples:"it" doesn't function as a pronoun in both cases:
It is true that practice makes perfect;
it is not advisable to drink alcohol while driving

With gerunds, you can simply replace the "Verb+ing" phrase with a noun. For example:
Drinking late at night IS a bad habit
Studying haphazardly can HURT your final score.
Studies have shown that swimming regularly IMPROVES one's health

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Super confused with SC [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 19:11
gmatbull wrote:
cumulonimbus wrote:

thanks.

First, you may decide to learn from someone who knows better than you by meeting at a regular period;
better still, register with a good prep if you have the money and time.
There are varied gmat learning resources online that, if care is not taken, you may get confused as to which
materials to use. You may refer here: gmat-tools-119941.html?fl=menu

Second, note that both sentences indicate actions in the present moment - the use of "IS" connotes present participles.
"is raining..." and "is barking..."
The use of "it" however, does not refer to a particular subject... Just a statement of fact.

Examples:"it" doesn't function as a pronoun in both cases:
It is true that practice makes perfect;
it is not advisable to drink alcohol while driving

With gerunds, you can simply replace the "Verb+ing" phrase with a noun. For example:
Drinking late at night IS a bad habit
Studying haphazardly can HURT your final score.
Studies have shown that swimming regularly IMPROVES one's health

Thanks gmatbull,
Really appreciate your reply.
I hope if you can help with my basic issue -
1. In how many ways does -ing words behave - gerund/noun/noun phrase, adjective, verb, modifiers
2. When is -ing word considered a modifier? Always or not. I mean if this word exists in a sentence will it always modify some thing or are their chances when it does not act as a modifier
3. What are the types of modifiers? are they - adverbial (is it the same a Verb modifier) and noun modifier?
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1328

Kudos [?]: 3799 [0], given: 192

Re: Super confused with SC [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 20:18
Expert's post
Hi cumulonimbus,

We offer a very comprehensive SC, CR, RC, and IR course in audio visual form. Our course is specifically designed for non-natives. We have numerous success stories to share.

We cover the modifiers in the most detailed manner. We apply a scientific meaning-based approach for SC problems. You can read our articles on verb-Ed modifiers, verb-ing modifiers, noun + noun modifiers, etc.
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

noun-noun-modifiers-before-we-start-discussing-about-the-137292.html

usage-of-verb-ing-modifiers-135220.html

verb-ing-modifiers-part-2-in-our-first-article-on-verb-ing-135567.html

We also offer a few concepts including Usage of Verb-ing modifiers for free. Just log in to e-GMAT.com, register for free and learn the free concepts in level 1 preview concepts. All concepts are replete with practice questions.

Now coming to the subject matter question, verb-ing words can function in many ways:

1. Verbs - When a verb-ing words are preceded by is/am/are/was/were and denotes an action, then it is acts as continuous tense.
For example: Tom is running after Jerry.

2. Adjectives - Some verb-ing words act as adjectives used before the noun entity.
For example: Growing children need a lot of nutrition.

3. Gerunds - Gerunds are the words that act as a noun and denotes action.
For example: Listening to music is Ria's favorite hobby.

To know about verb-ing modifiers in detail, simply log on to e-GMAT and register for free or click on the free trial button at the bottom of this page.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: Super confused with SC   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2012, 20:18