Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 15:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Supplementary Classes: CC vs Universities

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Supplementary Classes: CC vs Universities [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 17:00
Hey everyone. I'm planning on taking a class or two to boost my quant profile, and I'm curious if it makes much of a difference whether I take these courses (likely business calc and stats for business) at a community college. A number of prestigious universities have solid online course options, but those are about $3,500 whereas my local CC has courses for about $350. Do you think it makes a huge difference when we're talking about one class. Any one have experience with this?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '16 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 46

Re: Supplementary Classes: CC vs Universities [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 17:07
chains1910 wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm planning on taking a class or two to boost my quant profile, and I'm curious if it makes much of a difference whether I take these courses (likely business calc and stats for business) at a community college. A number of prestigious universities have solid online course options, but those are about $3,500 whereas my local CC has courses for about $350. Do you think it makes a huge difference when we're talking about one class. Any one have experience with this?

I talked to an admissions consultant who said that it was best to take well-known schools' online courses than local CC because the quality of CCs is so variable that it would be hard to quantify whether your A was really an A.

I've only started to research online courses, but it seems like UCLA is the cheapest school at about $555 a class. There are some self-study modules for $195, but I'm not sure if they are graded or not (and what it would look like on the transcript).

I really want to look in Coursera since it's free and Ross has an Intro to Finance class that's Pass/Fail... but then again, not sure how schools would receive this either.
Manager
Manager

Re: Supplementary Classes: CC vs Universities [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 18:04
Interesting, thanks for the info. Maybe I will reach out to the admissions offices at some target schools and get their opinions.

Thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Supplementary Classes: CC vs Universities [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 05:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
chains1910 wrote:

Just take the local CC course. For "Extra coursework" nobody cares where you get your grade from, and there's no reason for you to spend all that extra money. Instead you can spend it on Admissions Consultancy ;)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Supplementary Classes: CC vs Universities [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 04:55
Hi chains1910

While you are boosting your quant profile via math and stat classes, I suggest that you also consider boosting your leadership and community involvement profiles. These areas can be just as valuable to your overall application.

Participating in volunteer experience that challenge you professionally can elevate your profile. How about joining a non profit Board of Directors or consulting a struggling small business with its financial, operations, and marketing challenges?

Consider partnering with a volunteer organization such as SCORE, Net Impact, USALC, or Taproot. These orgs provide strategy consulting assistance to emerging organizations in need by structuring part-time projects for professionals like yourself.

Thank you & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)
www usaLeadershipCorps org
Manager
Manager

Re: Supplementary Classes: CC vs Universities [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 09:49
Thanks for the insight Max. I'm not really lacking for extracurriculars as I have stayed involved with non-profit consulting through an undergrad club I was involved with, and I also have been president of my fraternity alumni chapter, but it might not hurt to get some quant focused consulting in. Thanks!
Re: Supplementary Classes: CC vs Universities   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2013, 09:49