Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Support is appreciated!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 136

Support is appreciated! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 10:08
Hi! Not being sure where to post this query, I thought I might put this post here!

I am an MBA aspirant and was prepping for GMAT regularly until very recently. I used to work in Afghanistan for around 1.5+ years in an INGO and a US Govt Contracting Farm as an expat. In early December 2011, there was a suicidal attack in a religious gathering of Shi'a people in Kabul that hit a death toll of 54 lives. The place where the bomb blasted was just 200-300 meters away from my office compound. After this incident my psychological/mental health was very adversely affected. Soon after that I left my job in Afghanistan and came back to my country 25 days ago.

Coming back home, when I visited my psychologist/counselor, I was advised to take a recreational time-out with my family and friends for a while as I was (according to my psychologist) going thru" severe mental trauma". Since then, I am staying around without joining any job, and passing quality times with my family and friends.

These days, I am feeling much better mentally, and am not feeling I am having anymore "severe mental trauma". However my psychologist still wants me to pass most (!!!) of my time with my family for "some" reasons. But she (the psychologist) nodded that I may resume my study in full-fledge if I want. Good to mention here, I was preparing for my GMAT to enroll myself in a top-ranked B-School since May 2011 with some minor breaks. And, I am planning to getting into an MBA school in 2013 or 2014.

Now I have decided that I will not join any jobs in next few months! During this time, I want to pursue one of my long cherished dreams: Establishing Book Exchange Clubs for the children [we DON'T HAVE ANY formal book exchange clubs in our country; all we have are the book shops] in the close around localities (not for business purpose, at all). I assume that this will keep me engaged for next 3-4 months. Side-by-side, I will get children's company what will help me heal my "mental trauma". While running after all these, I hope I can manage some quality time for my GMAT prepping as well.

Having told the backgrounds, may I request you to put your opinions regarding the following issues:

1. If I don't join a job for next 3-4 months while establishing Book Exchange Clubs for the children, will it adversely affect my chance of getting into a good MBA school.

2. Will doing a complete different (entrepreneurial) task/function other than Finance (I have around 3 years of experience in Finance function) hurt my professional experience stream?

3. Given that I am planning to enroll myself into a B-school around 2/3 years later, do you think am I sitting for GMAT much early?

You response is highly appreciated!

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 0

Re: Support is appreciated! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 22:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello Schawjibb, thanks for your question.

Yours is a non-standard situation, and I’m not sure there’s really a “right” answer or piece of advice that I could provide you. But, I will give you my opinion.

To your questions:

1. I don’t think your leave of absence will adversely affect your chances, given what you’ve been through. Of course, you will explain the context in the optional essay, but I can’t imagine any admissions committee dinging you for this.
2. I think it depends. What are your reasons for pursuing non-finance work? If you cannot come up with any logical rationale, that move might seem random. If you have a logical reason, then I don’t think it would be a huge problem. You’ve experienced the type of “battlefield” type of trauma that few of us do, so I really think the admissions committee will understand and sympathize.
3. I believe your GMAT score will be good for 5 years (please confirm that). You should sit for the GMAT whenever you’ll be able put in the necessary preparation to score the highest. That said, I’d double-check with your psychologist that studying for the GMAT is not something that would place undue stress on you!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or would like clarification!

Best of luck,
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 136

Re: Support is appreciated! [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 01:47
mbaMissionBrianE wrote:
Hello Schawjibb, thanks for your question.

Yours is a non-standard situation, and I’m not sure there’s really a “right” answer or piece of advice that I could provide you. But, I will give you my opinion.

To your questions:

1. I don’t think your leave of absence will adversely affect your chances, given what you’ve been through. Of course, you will explain the context in the optional essay, but I can’t imagine any admissions committee dinging you for this.
2. I think it depends. What are your reasons for pursuing non-finance work? If you cannot come up with any logical rationale, that move might seem random. If you have a logical reason, then I don’t think it would be a huge problem. You’ve experienced the type of “battlefield” type of trauma that few of us do, so I really think the admissions committee will understand and sympathize.
3. I believe your GMAT score will be good for 5 years (please confirm that). You should sit for the GMAT whenever you’ll be able put in the necessary preparation to score the highest. That said, I’d double-check with your psychologist that studying for the GMAT is not something that would place undue stress on you!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or would like clarification!

Best of luck,
Brian

First of all, I am really sorry, Brian, as I took crazy+long time in replying back to your fantastic reply. I don't know, but somehow I lost this post's update. Add to that I was infrequent in the forum for last two months....

I am considering mbaMission one of very few admission consultants that I might hinge upon during my MBA-school application stage!! :-)
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Support is appreciated! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 05:59
Expert's post
We are always here if you are considering getting some help. You can follow the link in my signature to get a free consultation with one of our staff.

Best of luck!

Best,
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php