Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618768 [56]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [17]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618768 [11]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Re: Suppose A and B are two events that are not independent. Is the proba [#permalink]
Kudos
P(A or B)= P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

1) This gives an idea what is the least overlap is 1- .8 + 1- .3 =.5 which is greater than 1/3 hence this statement is sufficient.
2) P(A or B) does not tell us any thing about P(A) or P(B) insufficient.

answer is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Re: Suppose A and B are two events that are not independent. Is the proba [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Suppose A and B are two events that are not independent. Is the probability P(A and B) > 1/3?

(1) P(A) = 0.8 and P(B) = 0.7
(2) P(A or B) = 0.9

Kudos for a correct solution.

Statement 1: We have individual probabilities for A and B, so we can obtain P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)
Sufficient

Statement 2:
We need the individual probabilities
Insufficient

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 373
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
When the question says "not independent", what should I do?

Should I consider that the events are NOT mutually exclusive? Is it the same? Bc the answers here use the formula: P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

Should I use the NOT independent events formula: P(AnB) = P(A).P(B|A)?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
guireif wrote:

Should I consider that the events are NOT mutually exclusive? Is it the same? Bc the answers here use the formula: P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

Thanks

I have the same doubt.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Expert Reply
robertops wrote:
guireif wrote:

Thanks

I have the same doubt.

I don't believe I've seen this language (dependent vs independent) on an official question, so I don't believe it's tested on the actual GMAT. However, if anyone does know of an example, please post it, thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Why is this question not taking into account P(AUB)`?

Shouldn't the equation be P(A) + P(B) - P(AnB) + P(AUB)`?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Suppose A and B are two events that are not independent. Is the probability P(A and B) > 1/3?

(1) P(A) = 0.8 and P(B) = 0.7
(2) P(A or B) = 0.9

Kudos for a correct solution.

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Statement #1: this is very tricky. There is no cut-and-dry probability rule for this. we have to think about overlap. The total probability space, which encompasses anything that possibly could happen, has a size of 1, and P(A) and P(B) have to fit in this space. These two have a size of 0.8 and 0.7 respectively, so they are going to overlap. Think about it visually —
Attachment:
gdspqop_img4.png

Push the P(A) = 0.8 all the way to the left (whatever that means!), leaving the 0.2 outside of A on the right. Now, push P(B) = 0.7 all the way to the right, leaving the 0.3 outside of B on the left. Suppose the 0.2 outside of A is inside B, and the 0.03 outside of B is inside A. This would be the minimum possible overlap, and even then the overlap, P(A and B), equals 0.5. Thus, P(A and B) ≥ 0.5, so it must be greater than 1/3. this statement allows us to give a definitive answer to the prompt question. This statement, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Statement #2: forget everything we learned in the analysis of statement (1). Now, all we know is P(A or B) = 0.9, and we know absolutely nothing about P(A) or P(B). We can calculate nothing else. This statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

First sufficient, second not sufficient.

Answer = A.

Bunuel, when I think about the overlapping set, we should have:
P (A or B) + P (A and B) = 1
=> P (A and B) = 1 - 0.9 = 0.1
=> B is sufficient
Is that right?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
GMATCoachBen wrote:
robertops wrote:
guireif wrote:

Thanks

I have the same doubt.

I don't believe I've seen this language (dependent vs independent) on an official question, so I don't believe it's tested on the actual GMAT. However, if anyone does know of an example, please post it, thanks.

Hello, I don't quite understand the responses.

The question states 2 things:
1. Non-independence
2. P(A AND B) ..."and" means multiply

So the formula is necessarily: P(A and B) = P(A) x P(B | A) as far as I understand it.

Why are others using the addition formula? The question isn't asking about P(A OR B)?

Bunuel can you clarify this important distinction?

Also, how would one go about calculating P(B | A) or (P(A | B))?

Edit: I just checked...regarding my last question, conditional probabilities are calculated like so:

1. P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B)
2. P(B|A) = P(A and B) / P(A)

However, I don't understand why neither of these were applied in this question...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
The wording of the question "not independent" should result only in (E), unless P(A|B) is known
If the dependence is not known P(A and B) cannot be determined.

The logic used in the OA is that for "not exclusive", the same cannot be applied if events depend on each other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Schools: LSE MFin "23
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Bunuel if the events are not independent doesn't this mean that they could potentially be mutually exclusive?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts