Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Surveys_Front-seat belt

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Surveys_Front-seat belt [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 16:41
A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County found that, of the severely injured drivers and front-seat passengers, 80 percent were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. This indicates that, by wearing seat belts, drivers and front-seat passengers can greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured if they are in an auto accident.
The conclusion above is not properly drawn unless which of the following is true?
(A) Of all the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey, more than 20 percent were wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(B)Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car.
(C) More drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey than rear-seat passengers were very severely injured.
(D) More than half of the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(E) Most of the auto accidents reported to police in Dole County do not involve any serious injury
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surveys_Front-seat belt [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 19:58
IrinaOK wrote:
A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County found that, of the severely injured drivers and front-seat passengers, 80 percent were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. This indicates that, by wearing seat belts, drivers and front-seat passengers can greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured if they are in an auto accident.

The conclusion above is not properly drawn unless which of the following is true?

(A) Of all the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey, more than 20 percent were wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(B)Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car.
(C) More drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey than rear-seat passengers were very severely injured.
(D) More than half of the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(E) Most of the auto accidents reported to police in Dole County do not involve any serious injury

A. if more than 20% were wereing seatbelt, 80% non-wearing cannot be involved in the accident.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surveys_Front-seat belt [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 02:10
Fistail wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:

A. if more than 20% were wereing seatbelt, 80% non-wearing cannot be involved in the accident.

Exactly, but does it answer the question?
Is question asking for weakener? I think it is asking for asumption that must be valid if the argument is valid---streghten thing...

Am I misunderstanding the question?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 08:33
The answer is A.

The question is asking that if the condition is assumed then the conclusion is improperly drwan. This is weakner question.

What is OA?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 11:28
surbab wrote:
The answer is A.

The question is asking that if the condition is assumed then the conclusion is improperly drwan. This is weakner question.

What is OA?

A it is.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Surveys_Front-seat belt [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 11:09
IrinaOK wrote:
Fistail wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:

Is question asking for weakener? I think it is asking for asumption that must be valid if the argument is valid---streghten thing...

irina, i think you are right. @goldman: i think you cannot compare the 20% of the TOTAL with the 80% of seriously injured...

i understand unless in the sense of "if not"; i.e. if the following conclusion is not true, than the conclusion is not properly drawn. that means in fact it is a strengthener-question.

the answer remains A due to the fact that when more than 20% of the total passengers were wearing seatbelts, then the 80% rate of the seriously injured passengers shows that there is a correlation of not having seatbelt and injury. if only 20% of ALL passengers had seatbelts, then the 80% of heavily injured would represent the normal ratio. but since the overall percentage of seatbelts is MORE than 20%, it can be concluded that not wearing seatbelts is likely to lead to more serious injuries since 80% had not seatbelt on...

sorry for this lengthy awkward explanation and please do correct me if i am wrong...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surveys_Front-seat belt [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 11:55
skkingdom wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:
Fistail wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:

irina, i think you are right. @goldman: i think you cannot compare the 20% of the TOTAL with the 80% of seriously injured...

i understand unless in the sense of "if not"; i.e. if the following conclusion is not true, than the conclusion is not properly drawn. that means in fact it is a strengthener-question.

the answer remains A due to the fact that when more than 20% of the total passengers were wearing seatbelts, then the 80% rate of the seriously injured passengers shows that there is a correlation of not having seatbelt and injury. if only 20% of ALL passengers had seatbelts, then the 80% of heavily injured would represent the normal ratio. but since the overall percentage of seatbelts is MORE than 20%, it can be concluded that not wearing seatbelts is likely to lead to more serious injuries since 80% had not seatbelt on...

sorry for this lengthy awkward explanation and please do correct me if i am wrong...

I completely agree,

wonder if there are any other possible explanations that make A, the OA right...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surveys_Front-seat belt [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 12:00
Fistail wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:

Can we translate the text in bold as:

the conclusion above is properly drawn if........----> streighten the argument
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surveys_Front-seat belt [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 21:08
IrinaOK wrote:

I agree that the question line in bold above is little confusing and convoluated but i believe it is asking "The conclusion above can not be properly drawn if which of the following is true?"

now i believ it makes more sense to the answer choice A.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surveys_Front-seat belt [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 05:07
IrinaOK wrote:

The question is asking for the assumption which weakens the argument.

Quote:

- If more than 20% is wearing the seatbelt, then there cannot be 80% people who are not wearing seat belt - so weakinging the argument.

(B)Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car. - -the argument is about all automobiles - not just cars - out of scope and eliminated

(C) More drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey than rear-seat passengers were very severely injured. - rear seat passengers are out of scope. the argument is about drivers and front seat passengers only. - eliminated

(D) More than half of the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. - This doesnot weaken argument. the figure can be 80% - so eliminated.

(E) Most of the auto accidents reported to police in Dole County do not involve any serious injury - out of scope. we are specifically dealing with accidents involving serious injuries - so eliminated.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Surveys_Front-seat belt [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 11:49
surbab wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:

The question is asking for the assumption which weakens the argument.

Quote:

- If more than 20% is wearing the seatbelt, then there cannot be 80% people who are not wearing seat belt - so weakinging the argument.

(B)Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car. - -the argument is about all automobiles - not just cars - out of scope and eliminated

(C) More drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey than rear-seat passengers were very severely injured. - rear seat passengers are out of scope. the argument is about drivers and front seat passengers only. - eliminated

(D) More than half of the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. - This doesnot weaken argument. the figure can be 80% - so eliminated.

(E) Most of the auto accidents reported to police in Dole County do not involve any serious injury - out of scope. we are specifically dealing with accidents involving serious injuries - so eliminated.

surbab you are still confusing 20% of total people with 80% severly injured... it is a strengthening question. unless means "if not" : the conclusion is NOT properly drawn IF NOT which of the following is true, i.e. the conclusion IS properly drawn IF which of the following is true. look at my explanation
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 20:14
I am sorry skkingdom.

You are right.
  [#permalink] 09 Sep 2007, 20:14