Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 275

GMAT ToolKit User
Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 17:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (02:28) correct 26% (02:07) wrong based on 117 sessions
Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are in the labor force (employed outside the home) in any given month. On the basis of these surveys, a market researcher concluded that 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are full-time homemakers year-round.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the researcher's conclusion?

(A) More women are in the labor force today than during any other period since the Second World War.
(B) Many workers, both men and women, enter and exit the labor force frequently.
(C) Although only a small sample of the total population is surveyed each month, these samples have been found to be a reliable indicator of total monthly employment.
(D) Surveys show that more women than ever before consider having a rewarding job an important priority.
(E) Women who are in the labor force have more discretionary income available to them than do women who are not.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 57

Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 18:59
I think the answer is Option B.

The fact is that monthly results show 52% working rates. The conclusion is that 48% of women are full time in a year

To most weaken, the above conclusion, if we know that monthly rates are not true indicators of year round performance, that'd be the best choice. Option B states that there are many "ins" and "out" in the job market -> So no particular worker is employed year round with 100% surety. Thus, option B is the best choice.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 07:49
vishnuns39620 wrote:
I think the answer is Option B.

The fact is that monthly results show 52% working rates. The conclusion is that 48% of women are full time in a year

To most weaken, the above conclusion, if we know that monthly rates are not true indicators of year round performance, that'd be the best choice. Option B states that there are many "ins" and "out" in the job market -> So no particular worker is employed year round with 100% surety. Thus, option B is the best choice.

Hope it helps!

I do understand your point but in the comparison it is stated that any given month.So it mean the 52% is representation of 12 months of data instead of 1 month.
Can you pls let me know if I am missing any thing.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 07:52
jlgdr wrote:
Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are in the labor force (employed outside the home) in any given month. On the basis of these surveys, a market researcher concluded that 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are full-time homemakers year-round.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the researcher's conclusion?

(A) More women are in the labor force today than during any other period since the Second World War.
(B) Many workers, both men and women, enter and exit the labor force frequently.
(C) Although only a small sample of the total population is surveyed each month, these samples have been found to be a reliable indicator of total monthly employment.
(D) Surveys show that more women than ever before consider having a rewarding job an important priority.
(E) Women who are in the labor force have more discretionary income available to them than do women who are not.

I thought of D Because.

Surveys shows more women will be interested and hence this result may go up from 52%.
Have said that I would like to know whether the resercher report is about the past year or he is stating some fact about the future year?

@magoosh:Pls help me out.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 132

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 22:36
jlgdr wrote:

To me, the conclusion is too strong to conclude that 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are full-time homemakers year-round. we need something that says 48% of all women may be full-time homemakers but not all year- round. B explains that women enter and exit the labor force frequently, so 48% of women may still participate in labor force but not during the time of the survey.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2014, 22:36