Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Susan flipped a fair coin N times. What fraction of the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Susan flipped a fair coin N times. What fraction of the [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 18:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (01:36) correct 47% (00:28) wrong based on 130 sessions
Susan flipped a fair coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?

(1) N = 24
(2) The number of flips that came up tails was 3/8*N

Hi,

When you get a question like-

"X flipped a coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?
(1) N=10
(2) 3/8N came up tails. "

Do you just answer B or do you try to be extra smart and ask whether it's a fair coin? (And hence, answer E)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Jun 2012, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
Added the original question.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Location: United States
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 18:57
Just answer B - I don't think GMAT would present such trick questions that need one to be 'extra smart' to get the correct answers.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 19:18
well, they do present some "trick" questions. for ex, in case of a DS question, involving a few variables like a<x<b, etc, everything would look easy except that it wouldn't have mentioned that x is an integer (i hope you get the example). so how is tht different from this? where do we draw the line?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Posts: 286
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 19:34
Hi,

Whenever you see a DS question you may expect the answer to be in form of a value or yes/no.

In the mentioned question, using (1), even if the coin is fair, we can only predict that probability of heads is 1/2 or 5 out of 10 turns.
but, the value (1/2) is practically based on large number of coin flips. It may happen that first 10 flips result in to 10 heads or no heads at all.

Thus, (1) is insufficient. (differentiating between the probability and actual results)

Using (2),
we get a straight forward answer:
heads = 5/8 N
so 5/8 of flips were heads.

Thus, answer is (B)

Regards,
_________________

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 19:47
cyberjadugar wrote:
Hi,

Whenever you see a DS question you may expect the answer to be in form of a value or yes/no.

In the mentioned question, using (1), even if the coin is fair, we can only predict that probability of heads is 1/2 or 5 out of 10 turns.
but, the value (1/2) is practically based on large number of coin flips. It may happen that first 10 flips result in to 10 heads or no heads at all.

Thus, (1) is insufficient. (differentiating between the probability and actual results)

Using (2),
we get a straight forward answer:
heads = 5/8 N
so 5/8 of flips were heads.

Thus, answer is (B)

Regards,


That doesn't exactly answer my question. I know how to solve it, however, the assumption is the coin is fair. If that's not given, then E should be the answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Joined: 30 Jun 2011
Posts: 213
Location: New Delhi, India
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 19:50
Believe B is correct... we can safely assume here that coin is a Fair coin..
_________________

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Posts: 286
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 20:25
Hi,

In GMAT, you don't need to take any assumption in DS question. In a particular info is required it would be mentioned.
Now in this question it doesn't matter whether the coin is unfair, since the choices don't require this assumption.

in (1), we can never tell about no. of heads,
in (2), 3/8N are tails so other 5/8 should be heads.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Regards,
synecdoche wrote:
cyberjadugar wrote:
Hi,

Whenever you see a DS question you may expect the answer to be in form of a value or yes/no.

In the mentioned question, using (1), even if the coin is fair, we can only predict that probability of heads is 1/2 or 5 out of 10 turns.
but, the value (1/2) is practically based on large number of coin flips. It may happen that first 10 flips result in to 10 heads or no heads at all.

Thus, (1) is insufficient. (differentiating between the probability and actual results)

Using (2),
we get a straight forward answer:
heads = 5/8 N
so 5/8 of flips were heads.

Thus, answer is (B)

Regards,


That doesn't exactly answer my question. I know how to solve it, however, the assumption is the coin is fair. If that's not given, then E should be the answer.

_________________

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Posts: 286
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 21:58
synecdoche wrote:
Hi,

When you get a question like-

"X flipped a coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?
(1) N=10
(2) 3/8N came up tails. "

Do you just answer B or do you try to be extra smart and ask whether it's a fair coin? (And hence, answer E)

Were you asking wheter the coin has tails on both sides?

If so, then all flips would be tail, and statement (2) can't happen.

Regards,
_________________

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Location: United States
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 22:22
@ cyberjadugar - I think he means to ask if the coin has equal probability of Heads/Tails. A coin which is heavier on one side might not be fair.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23422
Followers: 3617

Kudos [?]: 28975 [0], given: 2874

Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 04:10
Expert's post
synecdoche wrote:
Hi,

When you get a question like-

"X flipped a coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?
(1) N=10
(2) 3/8N came up tails. "

Do you just answer B or do you try to be extra smart and ask whether it's a fair coin? (And hence, answer E)


The GMAT will always make clear whether the coin is fair or not (for example it can be given that the probability of heads is 0.4 and the probability of tails is 0.6). So, you shouldn't worry about that issue.

Having said that, Kaplan also makes it clear in the original question, which is:
Susan flipped a fair coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?
(1) N = 24
(2) The number of flips that came up tails was 3/8*N

Clearly, the first statement is not sufficient. Even though expected number of heads is 12 out of 24 but we don't know how many heads there were actually.

As for the second statement: since 3/8 of the flips came up tails then the remaining 5/8 of the flips must have been heads (provided N>0).

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 115
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 21:29
Bunuel wrote:
synecdoche wrote:
Hi,

When you get a question like-

"X flipped a coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?
(1) N=10
(2) 3/8N came up tails. "

Do you just answer B or do you try to be extra smart and ask whether it's a fair coin? (And hence, answer E)


The GMAT will always make clear whether the coin is fair or not (for example it can be given that the probability of heads is 0.4 and the probability of tails is 0.6). So, you shouldn't worry about that issue.

Having said that, Kaplan also makes it clear in the original question, which is:
Susan flipped a fair coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?
(1) N = 24
(2) The number of flips that came up tails was 3/8*N

Clearly, the first statement is not sufficient. Even though expected number of heads is 12 out of 24 but we don't know how many heads there were actually.

As for the second statement: since 3/8 of the flips came up tails then the remaining 5/8 of the flips must have been heads (provided N>0).

Hope it's clear.


Nice explanation Bunuel, if we assume that this is real GMAT question, and there is no indication that n>0 or it does not equal to 0, should we pick C as answer?
_________________

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23422
Followers: 3617

Kudos [?]: 28975 [0], given: 2874

Re: DS Question [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 23:45
Expert's post
ziko wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
synecdoche wrote:
Hi,

When you get a question like-

"X flipped a coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?
(1) N=10
(2) 3/8N came up tails. "

Do you just answer B or do you try to be extra smart and ask whether it's a fair coin? (And hence, answer E)


The GMAT will always make clear whether the coin is fair or not (for example it can be given that the probability of heads is 0.4 and the probability of tails is 0.6). So, you shouldn't worry about that issue.

Having said that, Kaplan also makes it clear in the original question, which is:
Susan flipped a fair coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?
(1) N = 24
(2) The number of flips that came up tails was 3/8*N

Clearly, the first statement is not sufficient. Even though expected number of heads is 12 out of 24 but we don't know how many heads there were actually.

As for the second statement: since 3/8 of the flips came up tails then the remaining 5/8 of the flips must have been heads (provided N>0).

Hope it's clear.


Nice explanation Bunuel, if we assume that this is real GMAT question, and there is no indication that n>0 or it does not equal to 0, should we pick C as answer?


Even though it's quite natural to assume that N must be more than zero, the real question would state it somehow to eliminate this ambiguity.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2013
Posts: 91
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Susan flipped a fair coin N times. What fraction of the [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 07:42
synecdoche wrote:
Susan flipped a fair coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?

(1) N = 24
(2) The number of flips that came up tails was 3/8*N

Hi,

When you get a question like-

"X flipped a coin N times. What fraction of the flips came up heads?
(1) N=10
(2) 3/8N came up tails. "

Do you just answer B or do you try to be extra smart and ask whether it's a fair coin? (And hence, answer E)





u should have mentioned it as (3/8) *(8) this would have made the question much more clear.

for u ,

no we don't blindly keep B, when we know 3/8 so the rest are 2/8th thus we can find the ratio.
Re: Susan flipped a fair coin N times. What fraction of the   [#permalink] 23 May 2013, 07:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Suppose you flip a fair coin six times. What is the probabi mikemcgarry 1 02 Jan 2013, 13:12
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic A fair 2-sided coin is flipped 6 times. What is the melissawlim 7 16 Dec 2009, 09:01
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic A fair 2 sided coin is flipped 6 times. What is the brentbrent 11 06 Dec 2009, 17:50
3 a fair 2-sided coin is flipped 6 times. what is the bmwhype2 3 18 May 2007, 20:56
Kaplan Problem Susan flipped a fair coin N times. what minhthel 1 11 Jul 2006, 08:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Susan flipped a fair coin N times. What fraction of the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.