Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 10:06

Today

Waiting for Decisions? Join us in the chat | All GMAT Club Tests are Free and Open

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Susan: Those who oppose experimentation on animals do not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 5

Susan: Those who oppose experimentation on animals do not [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 14:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

40% (02:50) correct 60% (01:53) wrong based on 0 sessions
Susan: Those who oppose experimentation on animals do not properly value the preservation of human life. Although animal suffering is unfortunate, it is justifiable if it can lead to cures for human ailments.
Melvin: But much animal experimentation involves testing of ordinary consumer products such as soaps, dyes, and cosmetics.
Susan: These experiments are justifiable on the same grounds, since cleanliness, convenience, and beauty are worthwhile human values deserving of support.

Which of the following is the best statement of the logical flaw in Susan’s argument?

(A) Her claim that animal experimentation is justifiable if it supports human values contradicts her claim that such experimentation is justifiable only if it leads to cures for human ailments.
(B) She places a higher value on human cleanliness, convenience, and beauty than she does on the preservation of animal life.
(C) She uses the word “value” in two different senses.
(D) She assumes that all ordinary consumer products aid in the preservation of human life.
(E) She fails to show how mere support for human values actually preserves human lives.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2009, 15:56
This post received
KUDOS
bigfernhead wrote:
Susan: Those who oppose experimentation on animals do not properly value the preservation of human life. Although animal suffering is unfortunate, it is justifiable if it can lead to cures for human ailments.
Melvin: But much animal experimentation involves testing of ordinary consumer products such as soaps, dyes, and cosmetics.
Susan: These experiments are justifiable on the same grounds, since cleanliness, convenience, and beauty are worthwhile human values deserving of support.

Which of the following is the best statement of the logical flaw in Susan’s argument?

(A) Her claim that animal experimentation is justifiable if it supports human values contradicts her claim that such experimentation is justifiable only if it leads to cures for human ailments.
(B) She places a higher value on human cleanliness, convenience, and beauty than she does on the preservation of animal life.
(D) She assumes that all ordinary consumer products aid in the preservation of human life.
(E) She fails to show how mere support for human values actually preserves human lives.

IMO E). She has first said that experiments are justified for cures of human life but she has not justified how human value preserves human lives.
Retired Moderator

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2009, 06:25
Can someone translate answer choice A for me? Why is A incorrect?
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 18

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2009, 23:37
Agree with E. What is OA?

Not A because she is not contradicting directly....also the word "only" is too extreme...we cant be sure that she means "ONLY if it cures human ailments it is justifiable"..may be she can also have some other reasons to justify !!

Thus, C becomes tempting as it looks like Susan is digressing from her reason..but reading it again you will find that she is not trying to stress on "values"..so its not that she has two meanings of "values"..

Now E. Look at the last statement and the usage "on the same grounds". This means that she definitely gives the same reason (which also eliminates C) but then she should give proper examples to prove that human values(cleanliness,convenience) can preserve human lives.

bigfernhead wrote:
Retired Moderator

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2009, 05:03
Thanks for the explanation. OA is E.

Economist wrote:

Not A because she is not contradicting directly....also the word "only" is too extreme...we cant be sure that she means "ONLY if it cures human ailments it is justifiable"..may be she can also have some other reasons to justify !!

Thus, C becomes tempting as it looks like Susan is digressing from her reason..but reading it again you will find that she is not trying to stress on "values"..so its not that she has two meanings of "values"..

Now E. Look at the last statement and the usage "on the same grounds". This means that she definitely gives the same reason (which also eliminates C) but then she should give proper examples to prove that human values(cleanliness,convenience) can preserve human lives.

bigfernhead wrote:
Current Student
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2009, 18:19
I would have also gone for A :roll: Dint read E carefully.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 21:11
A) Her claim that animal experimentation is justifiable if it supports human values contradicts her claim that such experimentation is justifiable only if it leads to cures for human ailments. – there is no contradiction here. It’s a flaw in the susan’s stament that she talks about human life and convinces with human life. Other wise its clearly E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 18:21
Love these types of CR. I wish we had more of the same type.
I choose E.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 21:08
E stood out clearly
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 08:22
clearly E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 10:04
Good one.

bigfernhead wrote:

(A) Her claim that animal experimentation is justifiable if it supports human values contradicts her claim that such experimentation is justifiable only if it leads to cures for human ailments. Both claims are not contradicting.
(B) She places a higher value on human cleanliness, convenience, and beauty than she does on the preservation of animal life. She places a higher value on preservation of human life, not human cleanliness.
(C) She uses the word “value” in two different senses. She uses word 'value' in the same sences.
(D) She assumes that all ordinary consumer products aid in the preservation of human life. 'all' is too extreme. She doesn't necessarily mean all.....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 11:48
I think E as well.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: CR: experimentation of animals [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 02:49
Economist wrote:

bigfernhead wrote:

Thanks for the explaination Economist. It helped. :-D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 284

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Susan: Those who oppose experimentation on animals do not [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 19:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Susan: Those who oppose experimentation on animals do not   [#permalink] 10 May 2014, 19:44