Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 05:53
Hi all. I made a mistake when I was younger in another Master's graduate program. As a result I got suspended for two semesters.

This was more than four-years ago. It was when I was dumb about decision making.

Does this scar in my record prevent me from getting admitted to a top MBA program? If so, perhaps it's not worth me even applying.

Thanks for any and all input/advice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 06:24
Mistake can mean a lot things...

If you get suspended as a post HS student, there are two primary reasons why:

1. You broke the academic honor code that you didn't cheat/plagiarize.
2. You broke a student conduct code (may also be the honor code too) rule. More likely if you were FT and/or lived on campus. The rule could be for a huge variety of instances, like harassing a student or doing something illegal, but you weren't criminally charged for it. Colleges often hold student conduct board hearings on students who are charged of sexual misconduct, when criminal charges aren't filed, though this is mostly and undergrad issue, but it can affect grads too.

I assume you're talking about point 1.

At any rate, you'll have to explain what happened. Instead of making it a sob story which they don't want to hear, I'd write about how you learned from that experience and how you can assure the adcom that this won't happen again. And you need to make this as short as possible, while getting your point across.

Will you get into a top MBA program? Possibly if you can convince them that your strengths outweigh this issue.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 120

Kudos [?]: 563 [0], given: 114

Re: Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 07:19
With a better explanation of why you were suspended, we could probably give you better advice. Was it ethics, cheating, plagiarism, drugs, law enforcement, skipping class?

With ethics being one of the main concerns of the modern MBA student (especially after the 2008 market downturn) I think you will have to make a very strong case for yourself. Also, does this suspension show up on your transcript? How would the program you are applying to know that something happened, other than the fact that you took two semesters off.

If something did happen, and it is shown on your transcript or somewhere else that the adcoms will see, you have to address it in your optional essay. If it was cheating or plagiarism based I definitely think it could hurt your application.

Here's how a school recently dealt with plagiarism: http://poetsandquants.com/2012/02/01/uc ... lagiarism/ This might give you an idea of Bschools stance on ethics

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 08:00
It was an ethical issue. It wasn't academic plagiarism; nor was it harassment of any sort.

I'm intentionally keeping things vague. Sorry. Simply paranoid about protecting my ID.

I told a lie (unrelated to my academics; rather the lie pertained to my personal life) and the lie caused the institution to suspend me. It was a silly error in my part.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 08:07
nervousMBA wrote:
It was an ethical issue. It wasn't academic plagiarism; nor was it harassment of any sort.

I'm intentionally keeping things vague. Sorry. Simply paranoid about protecting my ID.

I told a lie (unrelated to my academics; rather the lie pertained to my personal life) and the lie caused the institution to suspend me. It was a silly error in my part.

I'm guessing it's an honor code issue of don't lie, cheat, or steal, and someone turned you in for it. Maybe there was some other issue involved, but many universities have a number of these each semester. It's still up to you to mitigate it.

William and Mary has a link showing honor code hearings, outcomes and punishments, for example. These too are vaguely worded so it's not like the university you went to will out you for an honor code violation either.
http://www.wm.edu/offices/deanofstudent ... /index.php

However, I can understand why you'd not want to divulge too much on the circumstances.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 11:49
Aside from showing up on your transcript, keep in mind most schools also do a background check, so this may show up there as well.
Intern
Intern

Re: Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 13:29
Btw, this was not undergrad. This happened during grad school. The suspension.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.11
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 13:58
Did it happen at a Catholic school, by any chance?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 16:05
nervousMBA wrote:
Hi all. I made a mistake when I was younger in another Master's graduate program. As a result I got suspended for two semesters.

This was more than four-years ago. It was when I was dumb about decision making.

Does this scar in my record prevent me from getting admitted to a top MBA program? If so, perhaps it's not worth me even applying.

Thanks for any and all input/advice.

Hi there! While I don't know the details of your situation, I would only advise that you don't count yourself out of pursuing your goal because of a mistake you made, especially if you are a different person now. It happened, you cant get around it, you can't erase the past but you can learn from it.

This process involves a lot of self reflection, so how this affects your applications really depends on what you've learned/how you've grown from it, and how you present it in your apps. You have to convince adcom that this is not who you are anymore.. maybe because of this event, you now represent the 'antitheses of dishonesty'... maybe you are now an advocate for the honor code and speak to kids in schools etc. ( I am not encouraging you to fabricate anything.. just giving examples)..So while not glamorous, it is part of your story. Address it as such, but also talk about all the other (I'm sure, amazing) things that you have done since then, and your reason for your MBA. Just don't count yourself out before you try.
Re: Suspension - Do I have a shot at top MBA program?   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2012, 16:05