Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 0

Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 14:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:24) correct 33% (01:37) wrong based on 700 sessions
Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and exact date of composition are unknown. However, the events in the life of Prince Sviatov that the text describes occurred in 1165, and in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living. Thus Sviatovin must have been written between 1165 and 1167, assuming that _____________ .

(A) the life of Prince Sviatov is not the subject of any other medieval Moringian texts

(B) the author of Sviatovin intended it to provide as accurate a report about Prince Sviatov's exploits as possible

(C) the diagram accurately represents the composition of Sviatov's family at the time Sviatovin was written

(D) Sviatovin is the earliest Moringian text whose composition can be dated to within a few years

(E) Sviatovin was not written by Sviatov's father himself
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 97

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 19:22
this is not very vvell framed not a typical gmat question
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 21:22
This post received
KUDOS
C is the best answer .The entire argument is based on the assumption that the details provided are true and that the father was living at the time and that diagram depicts correct information.When any of this is found not be true ,the argument falls apart .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 02:26
This post received
KUDOS
(A) the life of Prince Sviatov is not the subject of any other medieval Moringian texts - Out of scope - Incorrect
(B) the author of Sviatovin intended it to provide as accurate a report about Prince Sviatov's exploits as possible - Giving accurate report of Sviatov would not help predict when the text was written - Incorrect
(C) the diagram accurately represents the composition of Sviatov's family at the time Sviatovin was written - Sviatov's fater died in 1167 and composition of family if assumed true would help pin point the year when the text was written - Correct
(D) Sviatovin is the earliest Moringian text whose composition can be dated to within a few years - Gives a vague idea - Incorrect
(E) Sviatovin was not written by Sviatov's father himself - Gives a generalised theory about the author of the text. - Irrelevant - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 05:31
c can be easily verified by negating the statement . . the negated one will weaken argument, however not required to do this to save time . .

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 08:59
I marked E , Was confused between C and E. I cant understand what has C got to with the assumption.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 37

Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 02:16
This post received
KUDOS
whenever the conclusion is referring to some statistic , data or diagram. We must understand that those figures have been assumed to be correct for author to make conclusion.

Hence C. :wink:
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 269

Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 21:18
crackHSW wrote:
I marked E , Was confused between C and E. I cant understand what has C got to with the assumption.

Try negating option C and E. The correct answer destroys the conclusion or the premise on which the conclusion is based.

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 67

Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 14:40
venmic wrote:
this is not very vvell framed not a typical gmat question

Its a question from OG 13 itself
Check Question num 39 Cr section
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 03:46
(However events) in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living.

Can someone mark the subjects and verbs and tell me the meaning...seems really odd structure

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 134

Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 21:48
Well, the reason I rejected C even though none of the other answers seemed correct either.

(C) the diagram accurately represents the composition of Sviatov's family at the time Sviatovin was written

That would only describe what the diagram composed of that is the correct family members etc etc
We need to find whether the the LIVING/DEAD is classified properly.

Where am I going wrong?

- Stay Hungry, stay Foolish -

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5041 [4] , given: 164

Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 21:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
betterscore wrote:
Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and exact date of composition are unknown. However, the events in the life of Prince Sviatov that the text describes occurred in 1165, and in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living. Thus Sviatovin must have been written between 1165 and 1167, assuming that _____________ .

(A) the life of Prince Sviatov is not the subject of any other medieval Moringian texts

(B) the author of Sviatovin intended it to provide as accurate a report about Prince Sviatov's exploits as possible

(D) Sviatovin is the earliest Moringian text whose composition can be dated to within a few years

Since there is ongoing confusion regarding this question, let's discuss it.

Sviatovin is a text describing events in the life of Prince Sviatov. We don't know when the text was written. The events described in Sviatovin actually took place in 1165. Hence we can say that the text was written in or after 1165. No assumptions here. The text also has diagram which shows Prince Sviatov's father. His father died in 1167 so the argument is concluding that the text must have been written in or before 1167. What is the assumption? That had his father not been alive at the time the diagram was made, the diagram would not have shown him. That the diagram identifies the family composition as it was at the time the text was written and the diagram was drawn. This is what C says and hence is the answer.

E is certainly not an assumption. When you negate an assumption, the conclusion cannot hold. If we negate E, we get that Sviatovin was written by Sviatov's father. This makes our conclusion even stronger (in fact, foolproof). If Sviatov's father wrote it, then Sviatovin must have been written between 1165 and 1167.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5041 [0], given: 164

Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 21:22
Expert's post
sujit2k7 wrote:
(However events) in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living.

Can someone mark the subjects and verbs and tell me the meaning...seems really odd structure

The structure is similar to this:

In the event of a fire, the fire alarm, which is located in the main hall, will go off.
In the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text, his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living

Subject - the fire alarm/his father

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 11:01
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
betterscore wrote:

Since there is ongoing confusion regarding this question, let's discuss it.

Sviatovin is a text describing events in the life of Prince Sviatov. We don't know when the text was written. The events described in Sviatovin actually took place in 1165. Hence we can say that the text was written in or after 1165. No assumptions here. The text also has diagram which shows Prince Sviatov's father. His father died in 1167 so the argument is concluding that the text must have been written in or before 1167. What is the assumption? That had his father not been alive at the time the diagram was made, the diagram would not have shown him. That the diagram identifies the family composition as it was at the time the text was written and the diagram was drawn. This is what C says and hence is the answer.

E is certainly not an assumption. When you negate an assumption, the conclusion cannot hold. If we negate E, we get that Sviatovin was written by Sviatov's father. This makes our conclusion even stronger (in fact, foolproof). If Sviatov's father wrote it, then Sviatovin must have been written between 1165 and 1167.

Hi Karishma ,
Sorry for opening this thread and asking following silly questions .
I can not understand whether the text was fiction or based on true events . If the text is fictional, I can very well write a story today describing an event happening in 2050 . So is it implied in the question that the text is not fiction ?? Also I can not understand why some one can't write about an event that happened in past . By composition of family I understood family members . So even if family members are not represented correctly , the incorrect composition gives me no idea about when text was written . So I choose option B
I know I am wrong but just wanted to understand the argument clearly .
Thnx.

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5041 [0], given: 164

Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 19:53
Expert's post
targetdec31 wrote:
Hi Karishma ,
Sorry for opening this thread and asking following silly questions .
I can not understand whether the text was fiction or based on true events . If the text is fictional, I can very well write a story today describing an event happening in 2050 . So is it implied in the question that the text is not fiction ?? Also I can not understand why some one can't write about an event that happened in past . By composition of family I understood family members . So even if family members are not represented correctly , the incorrect composition gives me no idea about when text was written . So I choose option B
I know I am wrong but just wanted to understand the argument clearly .
Thnx.

You don't need to take a call. Whatever the argument gives you has to be taken as true. The argument says "the events in the life of Prince Sviatov that the text describes occurred in 1165, and in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living."
So Sviatovin describes some events which occured in 1165. The picture that accompanies identifies his father as still living. So the picture must have been made prior to 1167 if the diagram accurately represents the family composition. Hence Sviatovin must have been written between 1165 and 1167.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2013, 19:53