Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Assumptionx   Complete the Passagex                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6617 [348]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [68]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [61]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [14]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and exact date of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) the life of Prince Sviatov is not the subject of any other medieval Moringian texts - Out of scope - Incorrect
(B) the author of Sviatovin intended it to provide as accurate a report about Prince Sviatov's exploits as possible - Giving accurate report of Sviatov would not help predict when the text was written - Incorrect
(C) the diagram accurately represents the composition of Sviatov's family at the time Sviatovin was written - Sviatov's fater died in 1167 and composition of family if assumed true would help pin point the year when the text was written - Correct
(D) Sviatovin is the earliest Moringian text whose composition can be dated to within a few years - Gives a vague idea - Incorrect
(E) Sviatovin was not written by Sviatov's father himself - Gives a generalised theory about the author of the text. - Irrelevant - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and exact date of [#permalink]
(However events) in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living.

Can someone mark the subjects and verbs and tell me the meaning...seems really odd structure
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sujit2k7 wrote:
(However events) in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living.

Can someone mark the subjects and verbs and tell me the meaning...seems really odd structure

The structure is similar to this:

In the event of a fire, the fire alarm, which is located in the main hall, will go off.
In the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text, his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living

Subject - the fire alarm/his father
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
targetdec31 wrote:
Hi Karishma ,
Sorry for opening this thread and asking following silly questions .
I can not understand whether the text was fiction or based on true events . If the text is fictional, I can very well write a story today describing an event happening in 2050 . So is it implied in the question that the text is not fiction ?? Also I can not understand why some one can't write about an event that happened in past . By composition of family I understood family members . So even if family members are not represented correctly , the incorrect composition gives me no idea about when text was written . So I choose option B
I know I am wrong but just wanted to understand the argument clearly .
Thnx.

You don't need to take a call. Whatever the argument gives you has to be taken as true. The argument says "the events in the life of Prince Sviatov that the text describes occurred in 1165, and in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living."
So Sviatovin describes some events which occured in 1165. The picture that accompanies identifies his father as still living. So the picture must have been made prior to 1167 if the diagram accurately represents the family composition. Hence Sviatovin must have been written between 1165 and 1167.

I got confused with the wording "accurately represents the family composition" and rejected C.
IMO, family composition is the members of the family, that means if the diagram says that Prince Sviatov's father had 3 brothers but actually there were 5!! In this condition the diagram is wrong i.e. is is not the accurate representation of the composition of the family. Need more clarification for the OA!!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
scofield1521 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
targetdec31 wrote:
Hi Karishma ,
Sorry for opening this thread and asking following silly questions .
I can not understand whether the text was fiction or based on true events . If the text is fictional, I can very well write a story today describing an event happening in 2050 . So is it implied in the question that the text is not fiction ?? Also I can not understand why some one can't write about an event that happened in past . By composition of family I understood family members . So even if family members are not represented correctly , the incorrect composition gives me no idea about when text was written . So I choose option B
I know I am wrong but just wanted to understand the argument clearly .
Thnx.

You don't need to take a call. Whatever the argument gives you has to be taken as true. The argument says "the events in the life of Prince Sviatov that the text describes occurred in 1165, and in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living."
So Sviatovin describes some events which occured in 1165. The picture that accompanies identifies his father as still living. So the picture must have been made prior to 1167 if the diagram accurately represents the family composition. Hence Sviatovin must have been written between 1165 and 1167.

I got confused with the wording "accurately represents the family composition" and rejected C.
IMO, family composition is the members of the family, that means if the diagram says that Prince Sviatov's father had 3 brothers but actually there were 5!! In this condition the diagram is wrong i.e. is is not the accurate representation of the composition of the family. Need more clarification for the OA!!

In arriving at the conclusion (Sviatovin was written between 1165 and 1167), we have assumed that the picture is accurate. The picture shows his father alive so we say that his father must have been alive when Sviatovin was written. We have assumed that the picture was showing the truth. In case we are told that the picture is not accurate, then can we arrive at the conclusion that Sviatovin must have been written between 1165 and 1167. No. Then all we can say is that it was written after 1165 - but when exactly, we wouldn't know.
So we have assumed the accuracy of the picture - that the painter wouldn't have lied by painting the father alive even though he wasn't. It doesn't matter whether the painter included everyone because it is hard to say who is part of the family and who isn't - the exact composition of a family is very subjective - nuclear family or joint family or extended etc. Accurate depiction only means that whoever is shown alive at that time was actually alive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
sidhu09 wrote:
(A) the life of Prince Sviatov is not the subject of any other medieval Moringian texts - Out of scope - Incorrect
(B) the author of Sviatovin intended it to provide as accurate a report about Prince Sviatov's exploits as possible - Giving accurate report of Sviatov would not help predict when the text was written - Incorrect
(C) the diagram accurately represents the composition of Sviatov's family at the time Sviatovin was written - Sviatov's fater died in 1167 and composition of family if assumed true would help pin point the year when the text was written - Correct
(D) Sviatovin is the earliest Moringian text whose composition can be dated to within a few years - Gives a vague idea - Incorrect
(E) Sviatovin was not written by Sviatov's father himself - Gives a generalised theory about the author of the text. - Irrelevant - Incorrect

" Somehow i'm still thinking about the answer choice "B". If author is intended to provide a accurate report then conclusion holds OK. If we negate it, then it means that text as well as drawing is not accurate so can not conclude predict the time of text.

Pleas help!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sach24x7 wrote:
sidhu09 wrote:

" Somehow i'm still thinking about the answer choice "B". If author is intended to provide a accurate report then conclusion holds OK. If we negate it, then it means that text as well as drawing is not accurate so can not conclude predict the time of text.

Pleas help!

The argument gives us clearly "the events in the life of Prince Sviatov that the text describes occurred in 1165"

So the events that the text describes happened in 1165 so the text couldn't have been written before 1165. Whether the exploits described are perfectly accurate, doesn't matter. We know that the exploits described did take place and that they took place in 1165.
If the exploits described are not exact, still the picture could be accurate.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
betterscore wrote:
Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and exact date of composition are unknown. However, the events in the life of Prince Sviatov that the text describes occurred in 1165, and in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living. Thus Sviatovin must have been written between 1165 and 1167, assuming that _____________ .

(A) the life of Prince Sviatov is not the subject of any other medieval Moringian texts

(B) the author of Sviatovin intended it to provide as accurate a report about Prince Sviatov's exploits as possible

(C) the diagram accurately represents the composition of Sviatov's family at the time Sviatovin was written

(D) Sviatovin is the earliest Moringian text whose composition can be dated to within a few years

(E) Sviatovin was not written by Sviatov's father himself

Quote:
Why is option A ruled out ? If life of Prince is the subject of other books then there is a very realistic possibility that the facts presented in the Sviatovin are just taken from the other books . Please explain.

An assumption is necessary for the conclusion. Is it necessary that there should be NO OTHER text on Price Sviatov? Even if there is, isn't it possible that Sviatovin was actually written between 1165and 1167? Even if the text plagiarised other texts, it could still have been written between 1165 and 1167, right? Then (A) cannot be the assumption. If we negate (A), the conclusion can still hold.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [16]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos