Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Send PM
Re: Switching into Business from Science [#permalink]
Definitely keep trying. Also look at your school's career development office and see whether they'll be able to help you out. I'm much like yourself, who thought that I was going to head into research/medical school while I was still in college. Therefore, I didn't bother much with on-campus recruiting that school held (since I was only focused on post-graduate study in science). That definitely created a setback for me as I discovered that I don't want to enter science post-undergrad and that I didn't have a job lined up for me. So I know how it all feels like and while it's hard, just do your best in finding a job. Best of luck!!!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
One common route is to take your science degree and turn it into a sales job for a pharma or other science related company. The caveat is that you'll need to have an inherent ability to sell stuff to people (i.e. upbeat, positive personality, persuasiveness, etc.).

The upside is if you do that for a few years, and have a good record doing it, it makes the MBA process (and recruiting for finance / business type jobs) that much easier. Having someone who can sell you a product is a trait that pretty much all industries look for, but especially ones like investment banking, etc.

My advice would be to keep searching and grind it out for a few years, because any of the schools that will accept you with 0 experience are not going to be worth your trouble.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into sales rep for pharma companies. I'm actually more interested in management/entrepreneurship as opposed to sales but it should be a good start!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
You won't be able to have a "management" job straight out of school without any experience. The sales job is just to refine skills that are essential to being a good manager later down the road.

Entrepreneurship is a completely different track altogether, although even if you want to go down this path, you'll still need to be able to "pitch" your idea to venture capitalists in order to receive funding.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see. I will keep that in mind! Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've been looking up the top MBA programs just to see how it's like and I have a question. How important is the GPA when it comes to application strength? As a science major, my GPA was at the low end, 3.1, when I graduated.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
The beauty of b-school is its admission process. Unlike med or law school, which admission is based a whole lot on GPA and standardized test, b-school admission looks at a vast number of reasons to admit you. A 3.1 or 3.2 is going to be a bit below average, but still within the published 80percentile range, such as Columbia and Booth.but what's also equally important will be a kickass GMAT score, as well as decent corporate experience. Add a few set of well-polished essays, you definitely have a chance to get in top schools. Just keep in mind that while your GPA is set, there are still so many different variables that you can control.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! Also I read that to even be competitive for a top business school, you should be working for a top company in its sector/industry. Is that true or just pure myth?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Well, I think that's part myth part realism. The myth part is that no, I'm sure there are folks who can get in Harvard without working at a name-brand company, such as Goldman Sachs or McKinsey. However, it makes the AdCom's jobs a lot easier to be able to benchmark an applicant with his/her peers, and let's just face it - most top b-schools attract probably some sort of a name brand person in the first place. So all in all, I wouldn't worry too much about name, otherwise no entrepreneurs would be able to get in top b-schools. On the other hand, while you're job hunting, definitely consider the name brand to a certain extent. It'll be best if you find a name brand company to work for, have decent responsibility, and can articulate those skills learned a few years later.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see. I will definitely put that into consideration. The fact that my background is in a science degree will be a setback of some sort but I guess I can work it out eventually.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So I did a little research and the field of finance/banking is pretty interesting to me. I did a little job hunting and unsurprisingly I only qualify to be a teller. I have already applied to a few positions around my area with the intent of working my way up to a branch manager in a few years. I have my mind set on 2-3 years is that possible or am I naive?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
It's definitely possible; however, what you're looking at is probably commercial banking. Commercial banking and investment banking are two really different types of banking and what you saw at the field of finance/banking via b-school connections are about investment banking. At this point though, any decent, corporate job is a good job for your fit. I'd say to try to get that job, and like you said, work your way up to manager if possible. This will position you very well for a top b-school, in which case you'll have a chance to get into the ibanking field. One thing you have to understand though - investment banking is a really tough field to hop in and the recruitment process is even more intense. Ibanking also includes 80+ hours as an analyst and you'll likely suffer in the personal relationship side. I'm not saying this to deter you from looking at going in, but for someone with a scientific background (such as you and me), I want to give you a firm understanding of what you'll be looking into several years down the line. If it's a field that you want to be in, by all means and give it your best. Anyway, I think we may be getting over ourselves right now - land that job first and work for a few years. Then look into any future career opportunities via b-schools. Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see. The business field is so broad that I'm not even sure which is the best fit for me. I'll probably figure all this out when I go to b-school one day. The thought of being my own boss and running my own firm as an entrepreneur is definitely there though.

For now like you said, one step at a time :) Do you happen to know the hierarchy in commercial banking though? Tellers --> ?? --> branch manager. I guess I'm trying to plot out a time line here. My dad had an acquaintance in Bank of America that told me she knew a guy who started out as a teller and within 5 years became the area supervisor. I can only assume this to be a rare case of genius and hardworker.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools:Tepper Class of 2013
Send PM
How about doing something like Teach for America? Science teachers are usually in demand, and you could build up the kind of stories that look good on those admission essays. The tough part would be to make the connection between that and your future finance career, but I'm sure it can be done. Also, certain companies (consulting comes to mind) recruit Teach for America alumni, so you could use that to build a couple more years experience in a field that interests you before the MBA.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
n3xt wrote:
I see. The business field is so broad that I'm not even sure which is the best fit for me. I'll probably figure all this out when I go to b-school one day. The thought of being my own boss and running my own firm as an entrepreneur is definitely there though.

For now like you said, one step at a time :) Do you happen to know the hierarchy in commercial banking though? Tellers --> ?? --> branch manager. I guess I'm trying to plot out a time line here. My dad had an acquaintance in Bank of America that told me she knew a guy who started out as a teller and within 5 years became the area supervisor. I can only assume this to be a rare case of genius and hardworker.

I can't speak about the hierarchy of commercial banking as I've never worked in a bank before. But I'm sure that as long as you're there and you're getting promoted and gaining responsibilites/leadership opportunities, you will be in good shape.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
n3xt wrote:

I can't speak about the hierarchy of commercial banking as I've never worked in a bank before. But I'm sure that as long as you're there and you're getting promoted and gaining responsibilites/leadership opportunities, you will be in good shape.

Thank you !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So recently I discovered a program at my local university, a masters program geared towards medical product development management. It's especially enticing since it's geared towards science majors such as myself who are looking for a bridge towards the business management world. I am thinking about this since it will get more doors open and if things works out I may not even need MBA if I can land a job I am happy with. Of course, MBA is always there if I want to get higher or change of industry.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2