Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 17:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

T is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

T is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 08:41
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
T is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum involving distinct real numbers a,b,c and d: |a|/a + 2(|b|/b) + 3(|c|/c) + 4(|d|/d) + 5(|abcd|/abcd). What is the range of T?

A. 15
B. 20
C. 28
D. 29
E. 30

It is an 800score question. Initially I guessed the solution. Then, reviewing it, it took me a few minutes and still I got it wrong. The solution isn't that complicated (try), but I really doubt if I could do it in 2 minutes. What do you think?

Last edited by nirimblf on 07 Jul 2008, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 08:49
apologies, I could not get the question :(
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 08:54
hi0parag wrote:
apologies, I could not get the question :(


A mistype which I now corrected in Edit: "written as sum" => "written as a sum".
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 416
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 08:59
Is the answer 28 (C)?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 416
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 09:06
Max Value - When a,b,c,d is positive = 1+2+3+4+5 = 15

Min Value - When we have 3 negatives and 1 positive (since if we had all 4 positive, then abcd would also be positive and the expression 5*(|abcd|/abcd) would have a positive value

So to get the lowest possible value for T: b,c,d - negative, a - positive

which yields 1-2-3-4-5 = -13

Range = 28

The only thing I am confused about is whether 0 will be counted as part of the range

So, is the range 28 or 29?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 09:09
yellowjacket wrote:
Max Value - When a,b,c,d is positive = 1+2+3+4+5 = 15

Min Value - When we have 3 negatives and 1 positive (since if we had all 4 positive, then abcd would also be positive and the expression 5*(|abcd|/abcd) would have a positive value

So to get the lowest possible value for T: b,c,d - negative, a - positive

which yields 1-2-3-4-5 = -13

Range = 28

The only thing I am confused about is whether 0 will be counted as part of the range

So, is the range 28 or 29?

Answers says: 15-(-13) = 28

Last edited by nirimblf on 07 Jul 2008, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 09:10
My first thought is this:

|a|/a is going to be +/- 1...either positive or negative 1. The absolute value of any number divided by that number will be -1 or 1 because, for example if a = -4, then that is |-4|/-4, or 4/-4 = -1. But |4|/4 = +1.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the |abcd|/abcd. I think this should be the same...I came up with a range of 30.

On a number line, the farthest left it could be is -1 - 2 -3 -4 -5. And the most positive that it could be is 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5. These equal -15 and +15 respectively. 15 - (-15) = 30.

nirimblf wrote:
T is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum involving distinct real numbers a,b,c and d: |a|/a + 2(|b|/b) + 3(|c|/c) + 4(|d|/d) + 5(|abcd|/abcd). What is the range of T?

A. 15
B. 20
C. 28
D. 29
E. 30

It is an 800score question. Initially I guessed the solution. Then, reviewing it, it took me a few minutes and still I got it wrong. The solution isn't that complicated (try), but I really doubt if I could do it in 2 minutes. What do you think?

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 09:15
jallenmorris wrote:
My first thought is this:

|a|/a is going to be +/- 1...either positive or negative 1. The absolute value of any number divided by that number will be -1 or 1 because, for example if a = -4, then that is |-4|/-4, or 4/-4 = -1. But |4|/4 = +1.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the |abcd|/abcd. I think this should be the same...I came up with a range of 30.

On a number line, the farthest left it could be is -1 - 2 -3 -4 -5. And the most positive that it could be is 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5. These equal -15 and +15 respectively. 15 - (-15) = 30.


That's what I initially thought. But note that abcd is positive if a,b,c,d are all negative, therefore |abcd|/abcd will be positive as well.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 09:34
nirimblf wrote:
yellowjacket wrote:
Max Value - When a,b,c,d is positive = 1+2+3+4+5 = 15

Min Value - When we have 3 negatives and 1 positive (since if we had all 4 positive, then abcd would also be positive and the expression 5*(|abcd|/abcd) would have a positive value

So to get the lowest possible value for T: b,c,d - negative, a - positive

which yields 1-2-3-4-5 = -13

Range = 28

The only thing I am confused about is whether 0 will be counted as part of the range

So, is the range 28 or 29?

Answers says: 15-(-13) = 28


I think 0 should be considered as the range is over the number line.
Hence ans: D 29
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 629
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 10:09
nirimblf wrote:
T is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum involving distinct real numbers a,b,c and d: |a|/a + 2(|b|/b) + 3(|c|/c) + 4(|d|/d) + 5(|abcd|/abcd). What is the range of T?

A. 15
B. 20
C. 28
D. 29
E. 30

It is an 800score question. Initially I guessed the solution. Then, reviewing it, it took me a few minutes and still I got it wrong. The solution isn't that complicated (try), but I really doubt if I could do it in 2 minutes. What do you think?


10 sec solution. |a|/a = sign(a) ... highest value if +,+,+,+ -> 15, lowest value if +,-,-,- -> -13 => 15-(-13) = 28 -> C
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 967
Location: Toronto
Followers: 253

Kudos [?]: 653 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 10:24
hi0parag wrote:
I think 0 should be considered as the range is over the number line.
Hence ans: D 29


The range is defined to be the largest value minus the smallest value in the set. 15 - (-13) = 28, and it makes no difference whether 0 is in the set.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Posts: 255
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 11:09
Another vote for C : 28
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 204
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 08:56
Hi All

Answer is 29

|a|/a is going to be +/- 1...either positive or negative 1. The absolute value of any number divided by that number will be -1 or 1 because, for example if a = -4, then that is |-4|/-4, or 4/-4 = -1.

There is a gmat catch @ |abcd|/abcd,
if all the numbers are negative, then minimum value will be -1-2-3-4 +5 (since multiplication of 4 -ves will become positive and 5 will remain positive)
so min value = -5
max value = 15
Range = 20 in this case.

but if we take a = 1, b=-1, c = -1 and d = -1,
then we will have min value = 1-2-3-4 -5 = -14
and max value = 15

so Range = 29 :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 229
Location: Pune
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 09:07
selvae wrote:
Hi All

Answer is 29

|a|/a is going to be +/- 1...either positive or negative 1. The absolute value of any number divided by that number will be -1 or 1 because, for example if a = -4, then that is |-4|/-4, or 4/-4 = -1.

There is a gmat catch @ |abcd|/abcd,
if all the numbers are negative, then minimum value will be -1-2-3-4 +5 (since multiplication of 4 -ves will become positive and 5 will remain positive)
so min value = -5
max value = 15
Range = 20 in this case.

but if we take a = 1, b=-1, c = -1 and d = -1,
then we will have min value = 1-2-3-4 -5 = -14
and max value = 15

so Range = 29 :)



Hey I think min value should be -13 so Range comes out to be again 28
_________________

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 288
Schools: INSEAD Class of July '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 09:23
nirimblf wrote:
T is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum involving distinct real numbers a,b,c and d: |a|/a + 2(|b|/b) + 3(|c|/c) + 4(|d|/d) + 5(|abcd|/abcd). What is the range of T?

A. 15
B. 20
C. 28
D. 29
E. 30

It is an 800score question. Initially I guessed the solution. Then, reviewing it, it took me a few minutes and still I got it wrong. The solution isn't that complicated (try), but I really doubt if I could do it in 2 minutes. What do you think?

I think the quickest way to answer this question has been posted by maratikus:
maratikus wrote:
10 sec solution. |a|/a = sign(a) ... highest value if +,+,+,+ -> 15, lowest value if +,-,-,- -> -13 => 15-(-13) = 28 -> C
:-D

To build on that and just if you want to answer a more difficult question based on the same problem:

How many different elements does the set T contain ? :)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2501
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 12:55
maratikus wrote:
nirimblf wrote:
T is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum involving distinct real numbers a,b,c and d: |a|/a + 2(|b|/b) + 3(|c|/c) + 4(|d|/d) + 5(|abcd|/abcd). What is the range of T?

A. 15
B. 20
C. 28
D. 29
E. 30

It is an 800score question. Initially I guessed the solution. Then, reviewing it, it took me a few minutes and still I got it wrong. The solution isn't that complicated (try), but I really doubt if I could do it in 2 minutes. What do you think?


10 sec solution. |a|/a = sign(a) ... highest value if +,+,+,+ -> 15, lowest value if +,-,-,- -> -13 => 15-(-13) = 28 -> C


best way to do it in less than 30 sec.

if it can be seen in one sought, it even doesnot take more than few seconds. i do not say its a 5 or 10 second question but definitely it should not be taking more than 30 sec. its basically a one sought question.
_________________

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 967
Location: Toronto
Followers: 253

Kudos [?]: 653 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes??? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 16:20
Oski wrote:
To build on that and just if you want to answer a more difficult question based on the same problem:

How many different elements does the set T contain ? :)


Nice question. Thirteen- curious if you have a quick way to get there. Clearly all the values in T are odd, which leaves at most 15 possible values (using the range), and 13 and 11 are clearly impossible. That leaves at most 13 elements in T, but verifying the rest of the possibilities are indeed in T seems to take a bit more work. I noted that if |abcd|/abcd = 1, then 15 and -5 are in T (for all positive and all negative signs), and if two of {a,b,c,d} are positive, |a|/a + 2(|b|/b) + 3(|c|/c) + 4(|d|/d) can take on any even value from -4 to 4, which means all positive odd integers from 1 to 9 are in T. Doing something similar for when |abcd|/abcd = -1 got me the rest of the odd negative values.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Re: Could you solve that in 2 minutes???   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2008, 16:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
S is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum tarek99 3 14 Aug 2008, 13:00
S is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum kevincan 4 24 Jun 2007, 15:01
T is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum BLISSFUL 4 30 Nov 2006, 17:53
If R is the set of all numbers that can be written as kevincan 8 29 Aug 2006, 07:05
T is the set of all numbers that can be written as the kevincan 17 21 Aug 2006, 03:26
Display posts from previous: Sort by

T is the set of all numbers that can be written as a sum

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.