Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: T-Minus 2.5 hours! [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Good Luck!!!!
Hope to hear a great debrief in about 7 or so hours.

got the bag ready to go!
Attachments

20131107_103532.jpg
20131107_103532.jpg [ 2.79 MiB | Viewed 3144 times ]

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Me too waiting for an awesome debrief !!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It went worse than I ever imagined it could. 8 IR, 41 Verbal (was at 47 every prac test) 39 Quant. 670. I can't even talk right now. I've taken 2 months off from work, lost 10s of thousands of dollars and studied for hundreds if not low thousands of hours. The first prac exam I took, without even reading about the test or looking at what type of stuff is on it, I got a 690. I just tested right out of business school. My life is pretty much done. I don't know what else to say.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Should I take the GRE instead? Should I just take the GMAT again in a few days, but just do the quant and skip the rest? I have no idea what to do right now, I had everything scheduled, with essay writing time blocked off, etc. Now I'm at square 1 again. Time's running out, and soon money will too. I've been taking time off from work to study. Everything went into me doing well today, and I bombed. Now I have to: write applications, write essays, AND study for the GRE (or GMAT), and have this all done by late december. So basically, along with studying ~90-100 hours per week for the GMAT again, I have to find time to do applications for business school. I can't do 3rd deadline, every school I spoke to said your chances are virtually nil of getting in at the third; it's for international students mostly. I can't put this off a year, this is the last year I can do it on account of family issues. I literally failed the biggest test of my life today. I can't believe this.

edit: OH man....I just realized my scores went to all my schools. So if I take the GRE it's going to look like I'm dodging the GMATs...ugh. I promised a full review before I took the exam, and I'll post it after...I just...ugh.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Alright, so here we go.

I got to the test center early; I went to IHOP for breakfast and had a huge meal so I would be fueled up for the test a few hours later. I brought water, a couple bananas, and 3 energy bars. I found the test center easy enough. I wasn't really nervous for the check-in, it was just as described on the videos. The staff were courteous.

So I get to my little cubicle said my prayers and dove in. I'm glad there's an essay first. I write a mean essay, and love writing persuasive analytic arguments. It also helped any adrenaline rush I was feeling burn off. As I wrote I noted I was half done with the essay with about 20 minutes left, so I had plenty of time. I was actually almost giddy at this point. Note to other applicants: A lot of schools aren't that concerned with your essay unless you don't speak English as a primary language, in which case they use it to judge your ability to communicate. It's a great section to start with I feel, as it lets you ease into the exam. So I finished up with the essay and proof-reading with about 5 minutes left.

Then the fun starts. The first IR question was actually pretty easy for me, had to do with selecting a value in each column based on some prices of tickets or something. I didn't do a ton of IR studying, but the stuff I had studied was similar. What little jitters I had disappeared after that. I had been getting around a 4 on the IR in prac exams, so I didn't have big expectations really. I kept getting questions that I found fairly easy, but didn't feel like I was getting anything wrong, so I was confused why I kept getting served up easy questions. I got a lot of graph questions; I feel like the IR will change in the coming years as right now so much depends on the type of questions you get served up. I love graphs, and used to make them for fun in grade school, so it wasn't a big deal to answer questions on them.

Now here's where the trouble starts, apparently. After that IR/Essay I was feeling pretty good. So I go use the restroom real quick, come back to the lockers, eat a bar, drink some water. Stand around for a minute, then realize I should use the bathroom again real quick, lest my small bladder get in the way of quant. Well I get back, and when I signed in I had apparently gone over the break time by about 90 seconds. I have no idea how, I was counting in my head the whole time. So I sort of panic on the first question, it was about averages and mean/median. I just picked the answer that looked best, trying to catch up. The next question I felt rushed on too. Then the third I actually thought I had solved, realized none of the answers matched, panicked for a second, then saw I had missed a part of the question and found the right answer. After this I had a couple easy ones, or at least stuff I was prepared for. I start going through the questions fairly confidently. I'm ahead at this point by about 5 minutes. About halfway through I hit a hard question, I take about 4 minutes for it, but figure I can afford to. Then the next question is just as hard, and I take another 4, and now I'm behind by like a minute. I press a little bit and catch up fairly easily on the next few questions. On the latter half of the quant section there are a few questions I feel 'iffy' about. Especially DS. There's always some obscure formula no one has used before, or ever will again, that people just seem to 'know' for these questions. So what looks like a dead end for 1) or 2) will actually be viable. Also on the latter half there were a few PS questions I wasn't too sure on, I got close to one of the answers, but not quite there. I ended up finishing with about 2 minutes left. I didn't think I had done bad, I figured maybe a 44 or 45 or so.

I wasn't too worried about verbal; I usually finish it with about 25 minutes leftover, and I had been in the 99th percentile on my prac exams. So beforehand I took the break, and wasn't too worried about going over. Of course I came back and it had only been 5 minutes. Go figure. So I have to say that this was actually the toughest group of verbal questions I hit between the 7 pracs I took, and the exam itself. Lots of close calls, tough decisions. I actually used up more time than usual, but still had several minutes left by the end.

So after that I clicked on submit scores or whatever, got my scores, grabbed my stuff, left and went out to my car and almost drove off a bridge on the way home. The next couple hours are a blur really. I put everything I had into this exam and preparing, specifically for the quant. Getting a 41 on Verbal is bad enough, if only because I didn't do well enough to push over 700, but then to get a 39 on quant. I have no words. I knew I got a couple wrong at first because I had to rush to catch up on time, but that was maybe two questions, and then on the latter half there were 5 or 6 I wasn't sure on really. Throw in a few extra DS's that I probably got wrong and that's still only maybe 8 or 9 wrong, which is what I was getting on the prac exams. I was still around 47 on those though. I don't even know what to do or say at this point. I'm rambling right now; I'm mentally exhausted, my life was virtually destroyed today, and I may have permanently lowered the quality of life that my family will have in the space of about 4 hours. Not good times gang, not good times.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey man,

I feel your pain .I bombed the gmat last wednesday.I feel so disillusioned right now i can barely write.After consistently scoring 670+ in my mocks,gmat dealt me a wicked blow by measuring me at 630.
However,I have regrouped myself,joined egmat and booked my date for december. All i can say is stop thinking about what could have gone wrong and just focus on your retake while the momentum is still there.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for sharing :(
I know it seems that you have destroyed a lot of things on the test but there are a lot of areas where you can destroy things in minutes. (Applications, interviews, recruiting, etc). It sounds like it should be a pretty quick fix with quant. (hint - don't drink too much next time, unless you are this guy or this guy).

How much are you short in terms of your target score? If it is less than 50-60 points, I think you should be able to hit it in 31 days.

P.S. I learn mostly the hard way; if it is a new way of learning for you - it really does work.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hi folks,

One thing I have noticed, the E-GMAT mantra is all around many aspirants

And after observing it I want to convey that in any prep company there is no magic that you would involve yourself with them and score 750+ in actual GMAT.

The real magic lies within you and how you use that magic to reach flying colors in real GMAT.

Rgds,
TGC!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies everyone. the part that sucks is that when I was much younger and in college (mid 30s now) I did terrible in a calculus course. My parents were divorcing, we were losing our house supposedly, etc. I did awful in all my courses that semester. I wanted to do good on quant to show that despite my abysmal showing in that course, I was capable of doing higher math. The ironic part being that I had passed calculus I & II in high school but my college just didn't take transfer credit on it.

As per how far off I am...I mean everyone wants an 800 obviously, but I'd be satisfied with anything over 700. With the IR8 I'm obviously happy. Even the V41 isn't a disaster; one or two different questions and I would have been mid 40s. So this morning I got the official gmat quant guide, and the manhattan advanced GMAT quant guide. It's not even really the overall score; it's the Quant section I want a higher number on. I'm going to try and register for an exam in early december, about a month from now. Any suggestions for what materials to use for quant? Are the two I got sufficient most likely? Also, how do I get more prac exams? I used all my Manhattan ones. I can reuse them, but I feel like I may end up recognizing questions from previously taking them.

My question though, let's say I take the exam again and do better on quant, say a 45 even. How does this look to schools? Are they going to basically say "well he bombed the first time, so he probably got lucky the 2nd time"? Do they only look at your high score for each section? I'm just thinking, what if I take it again, get like a IR6, 45V and 45Q or something like that...do they look at how my IR dropped?

Last question: is e-gmat only verbal? I don't see any quant stuff there.

Thanks,

Matt

edit:
Director
Director
Send PM
AccipiterQ wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the replies everyone. the part that sucks is that when I was much younger and in college (mid 30s now) I did terrible in a calculus course. My parents were divorcing, we were losing our house supposedly, etc. I did awful in all my courses that semester. I wanted to do good on quant to show that despite my abysmal showing in that course, I was capable of doing higher math. The ironic part being that I had passed calculus I & II in high school but my college just didn't take transfer credit on it.

As per how far off I am...I mean everyone wants an 800 obviously, but I'd be satisfied with anything over 700. With the IR8 I'm obviously happy. Even the V41 isn't a disaster; one or two different questions and I would have been mid 40s. So this morning I got the official gmat quant guide, and the manhattan advanced GMAT quant guide. It's not even really the overall score; it's the Quant section I want a higher number on. I'm going to try and register for an exam in early december, about a month from now. Any suggestions for what materials to use for quant? Are the two I got sufficient most likely? Also, how do I get more prac exams? I used all my Manhattan ones. I can reuse them, but I feel like I may end up recognizing questions from previously taking them.

My question though, let's say I take the exam again and do better on quant, say a 45 even. How does this look to schools? Are they going to basically say "well he bombed the first time, so he probably got lucky the 2nd time"? Do they only look at your high score for each section? I'm just thinking, what if I take it again, get like a IR6, 45V and 45Q or something like that...do they look at how my IR dropped?

Last question: is e-gmat only verbal? I don't see any quant stuff there.

Thanks,

Matt

edit:

E-Gmat is only verbal !!!!

Rgds,
TGC!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks, so for math is there any particular course of action I should take? Are the resources I mentioned solid starting points? (Manhattan advanced math, and the gmat official math review)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AccipiterQ wrote:
Thanks, so for math is there any particular course of action I should take? Are the resources I mentioned solid starting points? (Manhattan advanced math, and the gmat official math review)

(1). MGMAT Quant guides
(2). Mock test
(3). MGMAT Advance Quant guide
(4). Mock test
(5). Follow Bunuel the expert of Quant on this forum
(6). Do his signature questions

All the above should suffice

Rgds,
TGC!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TGC wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

(1). MGMAT Quant guides
(2). Mock test
(4). Mock test

Rgds,
TGC!

great, thanks!

Back to work I go then
Director
Director
Send PM
AccipiterQ wrote:
TGC wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

(1). MGMAT Quant guides
(2). Mock test
(4). Mock test

Rgds,
TGC!

great, thanks!

Back to work I go then

Hi there,

We have a 'Kudos' functionality @GC for thanking a particular member for a particular post.

I suggest to use it.

Rgds,
TGC!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts