Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [4]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Tackling tough RC's - strategies [#permalink]
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Dolly.

The part that confused me.

Treaty didn't mention rights
(you need to connect it with first line now.
which rights? right to use water! ...
which reservation? waters flowing through or adjacent to the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation was reserved to American Indians

first line tells us that right was reserved by treaty, second line tells us that treaty didn't mention water right but court intended to be fair.

The right was reserved by the treaty, yet the treaty did not mention the rights. Am I missing something here?

what is the author is trying to convey in this passage?? :|

Anyways a systematic breakdown like you mentioned can help, but what if I have already spent a lot of time reading the passage, but still not understood the gist of it?

Let me reword it. :)

In Winters v. United States (1908), the Supreme Court held that the right to use waters flowing through or adjacent to the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation was reserved to American Indiansby the treaty establishing the reservation.

Although this treaty did not mention water rights, the Court ruled that the federal government, when it created the reservation,
intended to deal fairly with American Indians by preserving for them the waters without which their lands would have been useless.

From the highlighted part, we get to know that ruling of the court was based on a treaty. Further we get to know that treaty by itself didn't mention water rights, however, court took such a stand stating that government created the reservation intended to deal fairly with ....

What can explain court's decision?

Later on, referring this (winters v. US) case, other decisions established that courts can find federal rights to reserve water for particular purposes (as in this case, court held the water rights for American Indians without the treaty mentioning it).

Map the complete passage and your understanding of it will surely get better. :)

Best!

Happy Prepping!

Dolly
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts