Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Take up job 4-5 months before application process?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 620 Q V
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Take up job 4-5 months before application process? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 21:58
Hello there

I'm an Indian (Male) with an Engineering degree (B.E, Electrical and Electronics Engineering). After receiving my undergraduate degree, I had the opportunity to work in the Middle East for sometime. I was part of the Electrical and Electronics division of a government company for a little more than 3 years. This was a technical job with maintenance, installation and service aspects. My scope for growth was very limited. I left the job due to personal issues and returned to India in July 2013.

After about 4 months, I went back to UAE to find something suitable. I did manage to give few interviews but nothing materialized.

I recently received 2 job offers in India but these jobs lean more towards Sales & Marketing profiles. But I have my sights set on pursuing an Operations Management MBA degree. Would it make sense to take up one of the job offers anyway?

If I do, there will definitely be questions as to why I took up a job that does not really align with my career plan.

On the other hand, if I don't, then my job gap will increase. It has been a year now since I left my previous job. (I know that this is a serious issue!!) I have not been able to find a decent opening in the past couple of months.

There was another job offer that I got in another country in the Middle East, but I did not take it up because their offer letter did not clearly mention many basic details such as working conditions, work timings etc. On inquiring about these details, I never heard back from the company. I found out that there were many complaints regarding the functioning aspects of the company and decided not to take the job up.

So, I have two openings now that look decent and I could get into for the time-being. I intend to apply for MBA programs in USA for the year 2015. I would have to start with my applications soon.
Would it be possible to start off with the job now and apply in 4-5 months anyway? I don't intend to wait till 2016 to apply.

I know that this is not an ideal scenario. That is why I decided to post my message here, hoping that someone could help me figure this out.
Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 11

Re: Take up job 4-5 months before application process? [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 06:23
shaderon,

This is not an ideal scenario to be in, for sure. It seems like the best way out for now is to take up one of the offers you have in India and then explain why you did so in your application. If you are working in the sales function for an electronics or tech company, the transition is easier to explain. Going back to the UAE now does not seem like an option, as the available opportunities are not worth taking up and you have already tried hard to find whatever was possible. As you have not held a job for a while, if you let the India opportunities too pass you will only end up widening the length of time that you have not held a job, which will be a negative.

The positives in your profile are that you have some work experience outside your home country. At the same time, you also come from a technical background, which can often be an over-represented pool. You should try and ensure that you have a good overall GMAT score (aim for 700+) to help bolster your overall parameters, else you will find it difficult to find favor at the top 30-40 US schools.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Re: Take up job 4-5 months before application process?   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2014, 06:23