Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taken 9/11/04 - 770 - Q50 V46

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Taken 9/11/04 - 770 - Q50 V46 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2004, 16:31
Hello All.

I would like to start by saying thanks to all of you whom I have conversed with over the past several weeks, and thanks to those who have taken the time to explain things to me and what not. I can honestly say that GMATClub was a great help for me. Prior to using GMATClub, I was quite chaotic in my study habits. This forum allowed me to focus on topics of difficultly, and additionally exposed me to some very intelligent individuals from whom I have learned a great deal.

I took the GMAT yesterday (9/11) and scored a 770. This was well above my goal, and I actually thought I faired far worse, until I saw the score that is.

Break Down was:

Math 50 - 95 %tile
Verbal 46 - 99 %tile
Total 770 - 99 %tile

My preparation involved the following:

Kaplan Verbal Workbook
PR Verbal Workbook
Kaplan GMAT 800
Some Arco material (2003) edition
LOTS OF GMAT CLUB (for about a month)
Gmat club challenges (INVALUABLE)
And ofcourse, the invaluable OG 10th edition

Additionally, I took the LSAT last year, and recieved most of by CR (aka LR) skills from that exam.

I started administering the practice tests two weeks ago, scores were as follows:

PP 1 - Aug 29 - 740
PP 2 - Sep 4 - 760
PR 1 - Sep 5 - 760
PR 2 - Sep 6 - 740
PR 3 - Sep 9 - 780
PR 3 - Sep 9 - 790

First off, I recommend that when taking practice tests, space them out ATLEAST 3 days apart. NEVER take 2 of them back to back. Doing so really wore out my eyes. Although I did nothing the day before the exam, my eyes were quite tired on exam day.

Second, make sure you do the essays when you take the practice tests. Essays, although trivial and not necessarily a threat, wear you down tremendously. I didn't take the essays during my practices, and payed the price in terms of fatigue on test day.

Third, make sure you bring earplugs to the test center. I bought mine from a university book store, I believe home debot carries them as well (as a safety item). There are so many distractions in there, that the earplugs are absolutely necessary. With them in, I didn't hear a single noise. Also, by 3 pairs. 1 for each section. They tend to become less effective as they go in and out.

Ok, here is my experience. I spent the night before at a quality Hotel by myself to ensure a quality sleep experience. I would suggest this if your funds allow it.

In the morning, I ate a light snack and drank some OJ and a protein shake. (Protein supposedly enhances your mental capabilities). I arrived at the test center to find it quite warm. Fortunately I was wearing thin, light, comfortable clothes.

When I sat down in the cubicle, the first thing I noticed is that the refresh rate on the monitor sucked. Basically, I could see the screen flickering, and reading a flickering screen for hours on end makes your eyes hurt. If you've never noticed a flickering screen before, then you are fine. If you know that somthing like this bothers you, I suggest preparing for it (by taking practice tests on a non LCD computer with the refresh rate set to 60Hz).

I began the test and went into the essays. I spent 5 minutes mapping out my response, then started typing. I basically used up all the time, and I have doubts about their quality. I took a five minute break, and came back to start the math section.

I found the math section to be only marginally harder than the O.G. My first 5 problems were quite easy, then they got really hard. By the 9th problem, I was having trouble. I was spending 3 minutes plus on each problem, and wasn't necessarily sure of the answers I chose. A few I marked, and then quickly realized that I had chosen the wrong answer. Around Q 15, I picked a totally random guess just to get the problem off the screen. I was so concerned with saving precious time, that I made some poor strategy decisions. Interestingly, I only got 1 simple combination problem, and 1 tricky, but not difficult probability problem. The last 10 problems were INCREDIBLY easy, and where almost verbatum of problems in the OG. This concerned me greatly, but in the end, I posted a Q50, so if the last questions you get aren't that difficult, don't be concerned. Ironically, even though concerned at the beginning of the section, I finished the math with about 15 minutes left over.

At this point, I was questioning whether to stop and cancel or continue and try. I chose the latter (thankfully!) and hit the verbal section hard. All in all, the verbal questions were either really easy, or really hard. All the CR's were very easy, and generally of the same calibur as the O.G. CR's. The reading comps weren't that hard either. Here is the strategy I used for them.

1. Read about 10 lines at a time
2. Every 10 lines, take my eyes off the computer and paraphrase in my mind what I read. (This takes about 15 seconds)
3. Take special note of contrasts, and hidden inferences. For example, RC's often say this:

"Unlike the aerospace industry, the electronics industry relied heavily on economies of scale."

You will often see a question such as: "What can be inferred about the aerospace industry"

Bearing that strategy in mind, I noticed that with lots of O.G. practice, I started to score much higher on RC's. If you have the time, always try to locate the answer in the passage, before submitting your answer.

The SC's were tough. I think this section cost me a higher verbal score. They were very long, but It almost always came to a choice between 2 answers. I either guessed well, or lucked out on the experimentals.

I finished the verbal with about 12 minutes left.

To be honest, I was expecting to see a score around 700, so when I saw 770 I was quite surprised and happy. Regardless of how you feel you're doing during the test, always press on confidently. Don't try to gauge your progress on the difficulty of the questions, just keep focused and keep on trucking.

So in summary:

0. Study hard before the test.
1. Rest well the day before the test
2. Get good sleep the night before the test
3. Bring your earplugs
4. Don't panic during the test, just keep going!

Lastly, I would like to send a personal thanks out to BB and Praetorian, for creating and aministrating this amazing site. And to those of you like Paul and srijay and Bhai and DJ and all the other heavy posters who make this site so valuable, thanks again!

Btw, although I started an error log, I seldom used it. I do agree that it is invaluable as a tool, but I believe that it is equally as important to do as many different problems as possible. 30 of the 37 problems I saw in the quant section were either clones of O.G. problems, or similar to PR problems I had seen. Studying is the key.

Good luck all!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2004, 16:38
BTW, I know a lot of people are concerned about combinatorics. A good problem to understand is this one:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8615&highlight=combination+identical
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2004, 16:50
Congrats for an incredible score man.!!!
I remember that we both had same points in gmatclub challenge 5.:)
I hope I follow your footsteps.
Coming to your preparation, did you prepare anything extra for SC, geometry etc.
Were the SC's in the start very difficult?
Good luck for your pursuits.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2004, 17:31
crackgmat750 wrote:
Congrats for an incredible score man.!!!
I remember that we both had same points in gmatclub challenge 5.:)
I hope I follow your footsteps.
Coming to your preparation, did you prepare anything extra for SC, geometry etc.
Were the SC's in the start very difficult?
Good luck for your pursuits.

The first 2 SC's weren't too difficult. They tested either usually subject verb agreement (or idiomatic) and parallelism. My biggest problem was that I was having diffuculty focusing. The biggest improvement in my SC ability came about when I started readin sentances in their entirety and looking for problems with each sentance, rather than considering how good of a sentance it was.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2004, 17:35
Awesome score SigEpUCI. Hearty Congrats!

Wish you well on your apps. How many weeks/months were your overall preparation and how much time were you able to dedicate/day or per week.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2004, 17:39
Sige, congrats on your awesome score. What else can I say? Your score speaks for itself! Hope to see you around every now and then now that your GMAT quest has ended. :woohoo

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2004, 17:56
Great score SigEpUCI. I have read your CR explanations, they are to the point.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2004, 19:44
That is AMAZING. Most people are strong in one area but you have both sections down cold. I'll be lucky if I score a 650 on my 2nd attempt. I may have been unlucky, but the CR passages/answer choices on the actual GMAT were more difficult for me than the OG & SC was also more difficult; it cost me. I only scored a 31 on the Verbal! RC was the same as OG.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2004, 20:21
WhAt aN eNvIoUs ScOrE SigEpUCI! (something looks similar :!: ) and what a post? you have done both the sections with more than 10 minutes to spare!. This is awsome.

Good luck to you on your applications. Stay around.

Bhai
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 658 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2004, 23:13
Great job SigEpUCI! Congratulations!

Thank you for the detailed post. it really helps others.

Please browse through some posts in this forum and see if you have any advice for the guys who didnt do as well. Hope you can help the other members and offer advice from time to time. i try to offer advice as much as i can, but it really helps to have multiple perspectives.

As much as me and bb have worked on this, it is members like you and so many others who make this place worth spending time on. thank you very much for your contribution here.

Do stick around.

Sincerely
Praetorian
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 02:48
Wow! Good job! That is the second 750+ I am hearing in a week.
I see there is hope.

How many months have you been actively preparing?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 05:42
Awesome score, Sig. Congrats!!

all the best for your future endeavors.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Taken 9/11/04 - 770 - Q50 V46 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 09:47
Hi SigEpUCI

Great Score and congratulations.
:wave
Your explanations in the verbal section were great and helped me a lot and I knew you wud ace the test.
Your gmat experience post was also very helpful and informative.
Good luck with ur apps and hope to see you around once in a while

-Srijay
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 12:48
venksune wrote:
Awesome score SigEpUCI. Hearty Congrats!

Wish you well on your apps. How many weeks/months were your overall preparation and how much time were you able to dedicate/day or per week.

I started preparing seriously around late July. At first I spent about 45 minutes per day, then I discoverd this website (around August 1st) and I bumped up prep time to around 1.5 hours a day. (I checked the GMAT Club forum continuously through the day however)

Also, bear in mind I spent almost no time studying RC and CR, because of my past experience with them. My biggest err in preparation was not completing the O.G. in its entirety. I would suggest that you complete and understand every problem in there. Once you do that, do it again (if you have the time). ALOT of the O.G. resurfaced in the test, a few questions popped up Verbatim.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 01:37
Absolutly great score, and absolutely inspirational.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 05:12
Hi guys

just a question, what is the "O.G." ?

where can i find it? I see that everyone finds it useful

thank you guys.. and sorry if i'm asking something silly.... :? :?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 08:04
Can you give us any advice on the Verbal? I'm a native speaker, yet I scored a 31 on the actual GMAT even after going through the entire OG and reading explanations for my correct & incorrect choices, keeping a log, etc. I think the CR and SC were very difficult on the actual test for me but I can't seem to improve even though I've read through the Kaplan & PR books. Maybe I just don't have the skills anymore as I did throughout my education. :?

I'm planning on buying the Kaplan verbal workbook & a grammar book.

Last edited by riteshb on 14 Sep 2004, 09:40, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 08:18
hello SiG...

hearty .....what to say ... hmmm yes Congratz... and keep it up...

thanks for the mail...

that will be n Inspiration for a long time ...

dear GMATPIPO...

OG is OFFICIAL GUIDE...by the ETS GUYZ...

hope that helps...

Have fun

the whole worldmakes way for the man who knows wer he's going... good luck

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 15:32
riteshb wrote:
Can you give us any advice on the Verbal? I'm a native speaker, yet I scored a 31 on the actual GMAT even after going through the entire OG and reading explanations for my correct & incorrect choices, keeping a log, etc. I think the CR and SC were very difficult on the actual test for me but I can't seem to improve even though I've read through the Kaplan & PR books. Maybe I just don't have the skills anymore as I did throughout my education. :?

I'm planning on buying the Kaplan verbal workbook & a grammar book.

The key to success on verbal is to practice thoroughly and often with good strategies. For SC and RC's, I personally liked the PR strategies the best (PR Verbal Workbook is good), for CR's, I used a strategy I learned from TestMasters. If you have the money, take the TestMasters GMAT class. I took there class for the LSAT, and faired well on that. LSAT prep helped me dramatically for the GMAT, which i feel is quite easier by comparison.

you can find more about testmasters at
http://www.testmasters.net/gmat/
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2004, 21:14
Nothing to add....770 is totally amazing.....congrats

:wave

it's good to hear from people that succeed because it just gives you more motivation to score higher. Many thanks for your report about the test and for the advices...
  [#permalink] 16 Sep 2004, 21:14