Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Yale '16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Taking a class or two before applying: Good idea? [#permalink]
bah! It looks like I started out with too little information and have now given too much.

Anyone else have any ideas on the value of taking coursework?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hi there,

Sorry for responding late on this and thanks for sharing so much information. Your profile seems very interesting with some good leadership highlights that will surely support your cause at a b school. You have also identified international development as an area of interest and you seem to have/will be acquiring some relevant experience of this soon. However, there are still many questions in my mind that need answering. To cut a long story short, I will ask you only two now:

1. What was your major in undergraduate studies and what were your percentages?

2. Knowing that I sound cliched, let me again reiterate - what are your goals, very specifically? You are already aware that everybody keeps asking the same question when it comes to pursuing an MBA but that is precisely the point - goals DO take the center stage when it comes to an MBA. It is not just about appearing focused. Your entire application will revolve around your goals. Your background/experiences will show how you have developed an interest in the field and how well you have prepared/are prepared for that future. The ad com would like to know what is the place of this degree in your plan of action (and for that you should indeed have a well-defined plan of action). They would like to know whether you really need this degree, whether this degree is going to give you a definite advantage in terms of your aspirations (with respect to time, subject knowledge, network, exposure - so everything correlated to your goals again). They would also like to know if you will really use this degree in the best possible fashion and with the impact of your work in the future, become an excellent brand ambassador for them. Your goals will also tell them if you are employable. So, basically, everything in the application (including the courses that was our main agenda) would be/should be related to your goals.

Let me tell you here that you are not that non-specific as you might feel. You do have a great 'story' going in the international development arena that seems to have a strong personal motivation and if you can acquire some experience, it would really make a strong case for you. However, since you are planning to take it up after applying, you should have some good points to discuss about it in the application as well. Further, you want to transfer your experiences to the private sector. So, that is again not very fuzzy. Overall, I think, with a little more thought, you can really define a good set of specific short and long-term goals for yourself and thereby address all the points I have mentioned above.

Now, coming to the main issue of coursework. The leadership training you have mentioned sounds great! I don't think I would want you to sacrifice it. So, to still accommodate some additional education, have you considered online courses that are offered by Coursera, edX, or Harvard Extension School? They are arranged and recognized by many international universities. You get a completion certificate at the end if you finish their coursework and assignments on time. So, think about them if you have not done so already.

As of now, that is all I can share based on your inputs. However, if you can send me your resume comprising details of your work experience, education, and extra-curriculars in a private mail, I can also arrange for one of our profile building experts to review it and advise, which I can pass on to you. This is generally done over the phone, but since you are based out of India, I am not sure if this will work for you. If you are interested, I can give you the contact number of one of our experts with whom you can schedule a free session and discuss.

Hope this helps and do PM me if you are interested in the free profile building session.

Best Regards,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sinchita, I actually live in Chicago, not India (hence my original post about courses in Chicago). So I could definitely talk on the phone.

I'll pm you shortly. That said, I'm going to continue with this thread and answer your questions in case anyone else on this board would like to weigh in.

1. English and Philosophy, with many courses in Economics and biochemistry and biophysics. In other words, I kept changing majors, and at one point just decided to double up on humanities courses so I could graduate. My GPA is 2.9. It pains me to say it.

2. I would definitely like to talk to someone about developing specific goals. It seems like I have them in my head, but when I try to verbalize it to others or write it down it seems a lot more vague. I organized a career discussion breakfast for women on Labor Day morning, and I found that though I was skilled with helping others develop their personal story, I could not look at my own with the same sort of objectivity, so it would be great to have someone else do it.

I did look into online courses. I know they're reputable, but I have no idea how challenging they are - I was under the impression that they're for everyone, regardless of background, and I wanted to prove that I could handle challenging coursework. I mean I've even taking classes at Harvard Summer School, years ago, and they were extremely easy classes - much easier than any of the courses I took at my state school. Anyone have thoughts on this or can give me feedback on this? Are there *particular* online courses that have a reputation for being challenging, preferably quant based courses?
GMAT Club Bot