Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taking a new job just before matriculation?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Taking a new job just before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 10:32
Hey all, looking for some quick advice. I was in a nightmare work situation and hung on for a while but just left this week. I'm lucky to have been accepted by a couple of MBA programs for Aug '13. I thought I would do some short term consulting engagements, pursue some startup stuff, etc. during this time, but I live in NYC, it's expensive, and I'm starting to feel regret thinking about my savings being drained. Meanwhile, I have a full time job offer on the table (would represent a step up from my latest job), but they don't know I am planning on b school. Ideally I would just take this job but have a few questions.

1. What are the consequences of taking the job and quitting after 4 - 5 months? I have no desire to return to this company but will it affect my MBA acceptances or future job recruiting?
2. Is this unethical? I'm coming from a company that has repeatedly lied to me about everything pertaining to my salary/employment, etc., so my stance has become that at-will employment benefits both employers and employees. Sometimes people get laid off, sometimes people leave after 4 months.
3. Will I ever have to "justify" quitting in February to recruiters next year when looking for internships/full time jobs? Or will no one care?

Thanks, appreciate the input
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Taking a new job just before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 11:22
Expert's post
You are basically me almost exactly a year ago. Here's a link to my old thread on this topic:
changing-jobs-during-the-application-cycle-127553.html#p1044659

I was contemplating leaving a job for a new one right before bschool. Since you've already quit your job, you probably should take the job so you have an income, but hopefully some of the pros/cons in that thread helps you out.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 628

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Taking a new job just before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 11:36
If you can't or don't want to travel (and therefore give up your NYC apartment) between now and when school starts, I'd take the job. At the end of the day, you need to pay your bills. In my opinion, six months is the minimum time I'd like to spend at a job, but sometimes circumstances call for extreme measures.

Edit: If I were in your shoes and traveling were an option, I'd look to do some long-term volunteer work abroad. It's relatively cheap, you get exposure to another country, and you can develop additional language skills. I've done some research on http://www.gooverseas.com and it seems like a good place to start if you're interested.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Taking a new job just before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 12:34
I would let them know my situation before taking the job. As someone who hires a lot, I find it very frustrating when people only come on for a short timeframe. Sometimes I am able to work out a special short-term project. For those that have left suddenly when it's obvious they knew they were leaving, we blacklist them from ever working here again and don't provide references.

Yeah, we're hardcore for a non-profit. :)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Taking a new job just before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 13:53
ThreeWes wrote:
3. Will I ever have to "justify" quitting in February to recruiters next year when looking for internships/full time jobs? Or will no one care?

Honestly, I think it would look better if your work history stopped in February of 2013 before school and you travelled, did volunteer work, etc. It's a little easier to explain a pre-MBA vacation than it is to explain a job switch so soon before matriculating at an MBA program. That could plant a seed of doubt in a recruiters mind exactly how long you plan on working for them. I.e. Is he just going to use us to get to something better? Just my .02. But hey, congrats on your acceptances!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Taking a new job just before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 14:15
I think these things come back to haunt you. It's not illegal, but it is very uncool. You will be burning bridges and it's not worth it. You could level with them - they may still want you to fill a short term gap. If they don't then you know you did the right thing and will probably be able to have a good relationship with them in the future - you never know when paths might cross. The money concerns are short sighted - how much will you really make in less than a year - ten years from now it will be irrelevant.
Re: Taking a new job just before matriculation?   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2013, 14:15