Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 09:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 11:07
It might be too early to think about this, but I was wondering how people strategize taking days off for interviews and admit weekends? Suppose you get 3-4 interviews in Feb-March, and end up getting 2-3 acceptances and you want to go to all of the admit weekends in April (if they don't clash). That means you may wind up taking five or more Thurs/Fri off over a span of two months?

Assuming you haven't told your boss and co-workers that you're applying to b-schs, that's gonna look immensely suspicious... Curious to know how people got around this problem. Would you request for alumni interviews whenever possible and hope to schedule it for after-work hours? Or block out a whole week off in advance and hope to squeeze in all interviews in that week? Thanks!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [2] , given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
MBA2ER wrote:
It might be too early to think about this, but I was wondering how people strategize taking days off for interviews and admit weekends? Suppose you get 3-4 interviews in Feb-March, and end up getting 2-3 acceptances and you want to go to all of the admit weekends in April (if they don't clash). That means you may wind up taking five or more Thurs/Fri off over a span of two months?

Assuming you haven't told your boss and co-workers that you're applying to b-schs, that's gonna look immensely suspicious... Curious to know how people got around this problem. Would you request for alumni interviews whenever possible and hope to schedule it for after-work hours? Or block out a whole week off in advance and hope to squeeze in all interviews in that week? Thanks!

You know that old college buddy that moved across country? Well he's getting married, and asked you to be in the wedding. Oh wait, he's having a bachelor party the weekend before? Man that's horrible... but you can't let him down!
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 167

Premium Member
Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 12:36
MBA2ER wrote:

Assuming you haven't told your boss and co-workers that you're applying to b-schs, that's gonna look immensely suspicious... Curious to know how people got around this problem.

I usually just give anyone that questions my vacation plans the middle finger and tell them to eat it. They usually leave me alone after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 7

Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 13:24
Yeah, you are visiting a friend. Unfortunately, part of this process is sneaky. My supervisors wrote my rec's so knew I was applying, but I havent shared my status with anyone and won't before my bonus comes through in late February. Until then, I have been waitlisted at everywhere I applied if anyone asks.

I feel terrible about it, but I really dont see the company's incentive to give me my rightful bonus if they know I am leaving. They can spend the money on someone else who is staying to keep them happy. And I really need my bonus to help afford school. I feel like I owe it to my recommenders to tell them, but just cant yet.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 640 Q V
GPA: 3.82
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 13:55
CobraKai wrote:
MBA2ER wrote:

Assuming you haven't told your boss and co-workers that you're applying to b-schs, that's gonna look immensely suspicious... Curious to know how people got around this problem.

I usually just give anyone that questions my vacation plans the middle finger and tell them to eat it. They usually leave me alone after that.

While I only do the 'eat it' part in my head :-D , I'm with CobraKai on this one. At the end of the day, as long as my manager knows what's going on and has approved my time off, I'm feeling good. If people really press, a line I've used before was that I was trying to use my PTO instead of let it pile up and go unused.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 19

Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 13:58
Dbalks wrote:
Yeah, you are visiting a friend. Unfortunately, part of this process is sneaky. My supervisors wrote my rec's so knew I was applying, but I havent shared my status with anyone and won't before my bonus comes through in late February. Until then, I have been waitlisted at everywhere I applied if anyone asks.

I feel terrible about it, but I really dont see the company's incentive to give me my rightful bonus if they know I am leaving. They can spend the money on someone else who is staying to keep them happy. And I really need my bonus to help afford school. I feel like I owe it to my recommenders to tell them, but just cant yet.

I feel yea. I'm in the same boat and my numbers don't pay out until end of March. I wouldn't feel too bad though, it's all in the game.

To the OP, if you are in a major US city and can do your interview with an Alum, you probably won't need to take off at all. Just say you have a doc's appt.

With regards to Admit Weekends, I'm already reserving a few Fridays in April in hopes I get accepted somewhere.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 16:10
Right now, I'm just hoping for an interview invite or acceptance to even have to start thinking about this lol.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: Q44 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 82

Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 16:34
Plan your excuses in detail and well ahead of time. Normal excuses work for taking PTO, but for more than two, I would suggest using sick time this will provide your work with less reaction time to connect the dots.

Interview 1, you are taking a vacation. (time off)

Interview 2, you are attending a hobby show in a nearby city. (time off)

Interview 3, you have food poisoning and won't eat at a taco truck any more. (sick time)

Interview 4, you need some emergency dental work, appendectomy, or misc rehabilitation.

kudos are appreciated

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 18:19
lahai1dj wrote:
Plan your excuses in detail and well ahead of time. Normal excuses work for taking PTO, but for more than two, I would suggest using sick time this will provide your work with less reaction time to connect the dots.

Interview 1, you are taking a vacation. (time off)

Interview 2, you are attending a hobby show in a nearby city. (time off)

Interview 3, you have food poisoning and won't eat at a taco truck any more. (sick time)

Interview 4, you need some emergency dental work, appendectomy, or misc rehabilitation.

Nice. Guess I'll just have to get creative, at least until I get my bonus in Feb too!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: Q44 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 82

Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 18:51
MBA2ER wrote:

Nice. Guess I'll just have to get creative, at least until I get my bonus in Feb too!

Another one just hit me. JURY DUTY!

kudos are appreciated

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 22:20
lahai1dj wrote:
MBA2ER wrote:

Another one just hit me. JURY DUTY!

Haha, that's a great one I'd have to bring proof in if it's more than a day though. :)

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 167

Premium Member
Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 05:32
You could always say you're taking a Vegas trip. That way, they can't ask to see your pictures when you get back, because everyone knows that taking pictures while in Vegas is a party foul and hence, in violation of the "Bro Code."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Re: Taking days off for interviews and admit wkends   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2013, 05:32