Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

taking Gmat again, need help with strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

taking Gmat again, need help with strategy [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 01:26
Hello all
I have taken the Gmat twice, first I got a 490, and then year later, I got 640(V-34, Q-45). I have been advised by many to take it again. I am now aiming at 740, but have very little time, as I want to catch up for R2 applications(Nov/Dec). I have almost 2+ weeks to prepare. I have been going through Manhattan flash cards and strategies. from where should I practice quant, RC and CR? I am done with OG 11,12, Kaplan Gmatbook,Princeton Review gmat, 1000 SC, half of 1000 CR. Should I do OG 13, considering there is a new IR section as well?Should I also buy verbal review-GMAC?
Strengths-
SC- familiar with all rules, done manhattan SC, OG 11,12, 1000 SC
CR-I can categorise and recognise question type- Goal-plan/ Cause-effect/data etc.
RC-I am mostly fine with social sciences, business related passages
Quant-concepts clear. i have all notes/short cuts required, only need more practice

Weakness
CR-hit rate dwindles between 6/10 to 8/10. either I misinterpret the passage or I am mostly unsure between two answer options. I tried to do LSAT, but found it too difficult and discouraging.
RC-I am not good with passages on natural sciences. I take a glance(skim) of the passage->notice shifts and tone-> then read question->look for answer. I didn't practice this section much for last gmat exam.
Quant-slow at calculations, not a fan of probability/ P&C, make silly mistakes, in last exam-time management was shaky.
IR-I am not at all prepared for this section and have not been fond of interpreting data, but I do know that schools are really looking at this score. What should I aim in that case.

Profile-I am a 25 year old female from India and applying to US business schools in 2012. I have a GMAT of 640 (Q:45 / V:34 / AWA:4). I have worked for 4 years as a marketing executive in India in the hospitality industry. I have worked for two different hotel groups 1) 1 yr at a large single hotel located in the commercial center in the capital city of India 2) ~3 yrs at a large multi-national and multi-brand hotel chain, with responsibility for nationwide (India) marketing. I had hit a ceiling at my company and without an MBA they were not willing to promote me further or give me additional responsibilities. So I quit and for last 2 months, I have been working as a full-time volunteer for an NGO for differently-abled and underprivileged children. By the time I join a business school (hopefully), I would have worked at this NGO for almost 1 year. I am passionate about dance and was part of a professional dance group for 5 years (alongside my college and job). Both at college and as part of this dance group, I have performed at multiple shows with audiences of 1,000+ people and won many awards. I have an undergraduate degree in English (Hons.) where I studied English. I was very active in my college’s dance and theatre society. Indian colleges do not have a GPA system. I would consider myself a firm mid-tier performer academically. I am very keen on continuing a career in marketing.
Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
taking Gmat again, need help with strategy   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2012, 01:26