Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taking GMAT in exactly 1 month. Target: 720+...please help!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Taking GMAT in exactly 1 month. Target: 720+...please help!! [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 08:41
I am taking GMAT in exactly one month from now and hoping to score at least 720. While searching for some information online last week, I found this website and now I am a big fan of GMATClub. This is the best source of help/info out there for all MBA aspirants.....what you guys do over here is so great.........it's unbelievably selfless. I wish I had found it earlier :(

Anyway here is my story:- Before starting any preparation, I took a Princeton Review (PR) online test and scored a disappointing 590 (Verbal-28, Math-43) :( It was quite shocking but I didn't let it discourage me too much. I have been studying for last one and a half months and have covered the following material so far: Both Verbal and Quant from PR, Manhattan GMAT SC, more than half of all the problems in OG 11 and OG Verbal (but no OG Math). I've been working on OG problems as timed exercises of 20 questions each in a single sitting.

Before I started studying I knew that there was a great room for improvement in both Verbal and Math (specially Verbal). In that first test, my performance on SC questions was the worst among all three types of questions (RC, CR & SC). I spent a lot more time on Verbal than on Math. My level of accuracy in Verbal started to improve during this time (based on my performance on questions from OG-11 & OG-Verbal).

After one month of preparation, I took GMATPrep Test-1 last week and scored 700 (Verbal-41, Math-44) :) . I was really surprised, specially because I found the test harder than expected and had serious trouble finishing both sections in given time. In fact I had to guess on last 1-2 questions in both sections. Although the test was encouraging, it exposed many of my weknesses too. Since Math was never my weakness, I think I was overconfident about GMAT Quant earlier. But now I know that I need to work hard there as well. My performance in DS was specially horrible. SC is still a problem for me as I answered 6 out of 16 questions wrong. The biggest problem I idetified was "Time Management". I spent very long on tough questions and as a result found myself hard pressed for time later and my level of accuracy went down afterwards. Managing Time on standerdized test has always been my problem. Any tips you guys have on dealing with this issue will be extremely helpful to me.

I am taking GMAT in exactly one month from now and here is my plan: I've bought Kaplan Math Workbook based on recommndations here. I will finish that and try to do as many questions from DS1000 & PS1000 as I can. I spent a long time analyzing GMATPrep Test-1 and creating a detailed error log.....will be posting it here very soon. I plan to do the same for all OG questions and Tests in next one month. For Verbal, I plan to finish remaning questions in OG-11 & OG-Verbal and then move on to SC1000 & CR1000. I want to take one test every weekend for next 4 weeks that I have before GMAT.

I really need suggestions on my study plan. Please feel free to share your opinion on any study material I should use/avoid......any tips on how to best utilize this one month, tips on "Time Management on test" etc. Since I have such a short time left, I have to prioritize things. Any tips on improving score in Data Sufficiency and SC (for example, additional study material, I should cover for these sections) will be highly appreciated.........Thanks a lot in anticipation!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 18:15
I think you are right on track...don't worry so much about a specific plan. Just keep working steadily. You're doing great.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2007, 09:40
Thanks for encouraging me :)

A lot of people on forums here seem to cover 6-7 books/study materials whereas I am only using 2-3 (PR, OG, Kaplan Math Workbook etc.) of them.

So I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on anything (books, strategies, study plan etc.) that can help me overcome my wekness in SC & DS sections and improve even more in PS, CR & RC sections.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 11:38
Hi,
squash_player, you are really doing well, I also have strong grasp on quant though faced problem in DS. Verbal was awesome and am working on it to nullify my errors. Making error log for all the problems I did. Am Working with OG10, OG11, Kaplan CD test and 1000 docs etc. Presently I have finished Kaplan premier 2006, Kaplan 800, OG11 for first time and working with OG10 and 1000 docs. Gave my first mock test from Kaplan 800 but got 540 almost 1 and half months before. Planning for the second test on coming weekend.
I have appoinment on 16th June 07, and hope to achieve 730+ on the D-day. Best of luck and lemme know your recent study status.

Priyankur
Intern
Intern

1000 sc [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 14:03
Hi ! Priyankur

One question out of the topic u are dicussing. I got 1000 sc questions on the site but didt get any answers. Can u help with that

Thanks
Neeraj
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 11:53
Hi Priyankur,

How is Kaplan 800? I've never looked at it. Is it similar to Kaplan Math Workbook? I actually just finished Kaplan Math Workbook and it definitely helped me improve. However I still haven't scored more than 47 (scaled score) in Quant. in any of the tests I've taken. My weak areas are: Inequalities, Geometry, Number Properties and Sets. How do you rate Kaplan 800 (or any other book you know of) in these areas?

In Verbal, my performance is still inconsistent, but I am starting to recognize what works for me and what does not. I am taking another test this weekend and hope not to repeat same mistakes that I've made in the past.

Can you tell me whether questions in SC1000 & CR1000 overlap with those in GMATPrep & PowerPrep Tests? If yes then how do I know if my score in those tests will be realistic after solving SC1000 & CR1000?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 May 2007, 09:04
I took GMATPrep Practice Test-2 yesterday and scored 690 (Q-48, V-37). So I actually scored 10 less than I did on GMATPrep-1, which I took almost a month ago. This was quite disappointing as I have been studying hard for last one month. I made some intersting observation that I'd like to share and see whether other people noticed them too.

1. I got 15 out of 37 questions wrong on Quant but still scored 48. Break-up: 5 wrong out of 19 PS questions, 10 wrong out of 18 DS questions.

Is it typical to see more DS questions than PS (same thing happened with me on GMATPrep-1)?? Please can tell what I can do to improve on these areas in next 7 days, I am taking GMAT on May24

2. I answered only 6 questions wrong out of the first 25 on Quant but 9 wrong out of last 12.

From this, first 15-20 seem to be a lot more important than the last 15 ones. Does anyone else have a similar experience??

3. On Quant, I got an unusually high number of questions based on Number Properties and Inequalities. A total of 6 quetions were directly or indirectly based on Inequalities and 11 were (directly or indirectly) based on Number Properties. Now these two are my problem areas and I would really hate to see that many questions based on these two on the real GMAT :(
Does anyone else have a similar experience??

4. On Verbal, I answered only 9 wrong out of 41 questions, yet my score was only 37. I answered first 2 Verbal questions on the test wrong but then got only 2 wrong on next 18 questions (for a total of 4 wrong out of first 20).

Does it mean that you must get all of the first 10 question right in order to score 40+ on Verbal??

I appreciate your comments.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 22:26
Hi squash player, my experience is similar to yours. I just finished gmatprep test 2 today and got 710 Q 49 V 38. I got 9 DS problems wrong (got all PS correct). I also observed a lot of number properties and inequalities and even one modulus problem. I suspect that gmatprep considers those topics and DS in general to be tougher than normal PS.

I also realized that in my verbal score, I had 8 SC incorrect (and 3 CR and RC each). My test is on the 19th of June, leaving me with 10 days to improve these problem areas.

As far as ordering of the questions is concerned, I got 3 DS out of the 1st 7 quant wrong but still ended up with a 49. While I made only 1 mistake in the 1st 15 Verbal questions . So I do not think that getting the very first few wrong has such a high bearing on the final score.

I wonder what I need to do to crack 40 in verbal...

cheers.
  [#permalink] 07 Jun 2007, 22:26