Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bilalcheema wrote:
I appreciate your answer. I posted my concern in more than one forums because I wanted to get view point of different people. If its ethically wrong just let me know, I 'll take it off.

No way is it Ethically wrong. Dont worry! It's just a good Knowledge Management practice to have all answers/opinions consolidated in one place, lest someone else has a similar concern and is looking for an answer. It's easier to search if all the replies are aggregated in one place.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Re: Taking online courses to mitigate my low GPA...Please ad [#permalink]
bilalcheema wrote:
Hi,

I intend to apply in first round in next admission cycle. My undergrad GPA is 2.8 …I really want to fix this problem. What can be the best way to address this issue ?…..other than explaining in optional essay.
I am thinking of taking some online courses in Accounting/Business to prove my academic ability. I am not sure How adcoms see taking courses online. Does taking courses online compensate for taking regular classes?
Any suggestions about some particular online course ?
Thank you in advance.

bilalcheema,

The best way IMO is to blow the GMAT away--750 plus would really make them worry less about your GPA. Another way is to have a few years separating you from that GPA. That is, the older you are, the less they care about undergrad grades. Third, strong grade performance in grad school can help. Finally, getting A's in isolated courses in pre-MBA type courses like accounting, statistics, calculus can do the trick. The fact of a class being online is less important that the quality of the institution offering it. There are good online institutions, and there are bad ones.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
bilalcheema, No way is it Ethically wrong. Dont worry! It's just a good Knowledge Management practice to have all answers/opinions consolidated in one place, lest someone else has a similar concern and is looking for an answer. It's easier to search if all the replies are aggregated in one place.

I didn't realize that fact when I was posting. Now I can understand how right you were in suggesting that :) ...Now we have four threads with the same topic... Its my bad, I apologize. I don't think we can consolidate the discussion now...can we ?

Quote:
Dont bother with online courses. Attend a local college and ensure that u get straight As. Regular courses that require you to physically attend the classes are valued more than online courses. You can take:
- Statistics
- Calculus (to show analytical abilities)
- Accounting
- Micro and Macro Econs
- Finance

I have checked with a number of local community colleges. The earliest I can start taking classes is in fall(Aug/Sep). This way, I don't think my grades will be ready till the deadline of first round. So, online courses seem to be the only choice at this time. But I am still looking....lets see, thanks for the list of subjects though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
The best way IMO is to blow the GMAT away--750 plus would really make them worry less about your GPA. Another way is to have a few years separating you from that GPA. That is, the older you are, the less they care about undergrad grades. Third, strong grade performance in grad school can help. Finally, getting A's in isolated courses in pre-MBA type courses like accounting, statistics, calculus can do the trick. The fact of a class being online is less important that the quality of the institution offering it. There are good online institutions, and there are bad ones.

Hello Paul,

Thank you so much for your detailed and insightful reply. First, I have already taken GMAT and scored 700. I can give it another shot if it's really worth it. Secondly, I will have 4 years separating me from my GPA at the time of application. In addition, I completed two degrees simultaneously, LLB(Bachelor in law) & Masters in Political Science, So, I think I can also blame that extra course load for my low GPA.

As I am a borderline candidate for top business schools, I just don't want to leave any stone unturned.
What do you think would be the best way to improve my candidacy, retaking GMAT or building alternate transcripts ? I don't think I can do both the things, as I don't have enough time left. I would really appreciate your advice.

...If I have to build alternate transcripts, I will probably be going for UCLA extension. I am planning to take 3 courses(Accounting, Statistics & finance or mathematics for anagement), each course is worth 2.6 credits. are these courses gonna be enough to prove my academic ability ? How do you categorize UCLA extension ?
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
bilalcheema wrote:
Quote:

Hello Paul,

Thank you so much for your detailed and insightful reply. First, I have already taken GMAT and scored 700. I can give it another shot if it's really worth it. Secondly, I will have 4 years separating me from my GPA at the time of application. In addition, I completed two degrees simultaneously, LLB(Bachelor in law) & Masters in Political Science, So, I think I can also blame that extra course load for my low GPA.

As I am a borderline candidate for top business schools, I just don't want to leave any stone unturned.
What do you think would be the best way to improve my candidacy, retaking GMAT or building alternate transcripts ? I don't think I can do both the things, as I don't have enough time left. I would really appreciate your advice.

...If I have to build alternate transcripts, I will probably be going for UCLA extension. I am planning to take 3 courses(Accounting, Statistics & finance or mathematics for anagement), each course is worth 2.6 credits. are these courses gonna be enough to prove my academic ability ? How do you categorize UCLA extension ?

Bilalcheema,

If you think you can improve the GMAT score by more than 20 points then I think retaking it would have greater impact then taking some classes. UCLA extension would be a fine place to take the classes if you did go that route.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot