Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

taking test in 2-3 weeks...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
taking test in 2-3 weeks... [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2004, 22:07
I have all the basics down to where I feel like I have eliminated every weakness that I really can, and I'm ready to schedule the test. I have some opinion questions, and I'd really like to get some suggestions:

1. When to take the test? Time of day? I can take off any day of work I choose.
2. I plan to spend one or two weekend days to prep for AWA. While my B.A. is in Literature and feel that I needn't study the basics of good writing, it's vital that I write answers that fit the prototype for which the graders are looking. What ought I do?
3. Bearing in mind that my skills, in relation to one another, are level, what are some of the finer points I ought to be honing?
4. Unless I manage to get my hands on paper test 55, I have only two completely fresh exams both Kaplan. If my "confidence" isn't an issue, when ought I take these tests?
5. Hypothetically, I have three weekends and and 10 weeknights to devote to studying. Anyone think it's better to review certain topics than others earlier or later?

Thanks...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2004, 10:18
Ok, one at a time:

1) Try to take the test when the testing center will be less crowded, like in the middle of the week and the middle of the day.

2) My undergrad degree was in Journalism, and I write professionally (business, not media) just about every day, so I didn't prep for the AWA at all and scored an easy 6. Just refresh yourself on how to construct an argument and what format they're looking for, and do a few essays to get yourself used to writing them in 30 minutes.

3) If you're confident in your question-type skills, continue doing practice questions to keep yourself sharp and do your remaining tests. Make sure you've got your timing down and have memorized the math formulas.

4) If the Kaplan exams are the only two left, just remind yourself that they are harder than the real GMAT and don't let yourself freak out when you take them.

5) I don't think any particular sequence will matter. Just keep going thru practice questions and work on the hardest quant questions you can find.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2004, 21:09
I think that the Kaplan tests are excellent for the math sections, but not exactly on target for the verbal sections. The easiest way to get an incredible score is to be sure that your sentence correction skills are very top-notch and to practice every math question you can. On the test, if you guess one question, be sure not to guess the next question, as your grade will probably swoop down.
ETS does sell 3 tests, and a while ago they sold batches of 3 tests. I wonder why they stopped.
Try to find an old edition of the 7th edition of the official guide. There are hard questions there that have been left out of the 10th edition.
Another note: As there may be TOEFL test-takers taking the test at the same time you are taking the GMAT, study with background noise at least part of the time. Also, try to learn how to work with earplugs, because if you have a noisy atmosphere and complain, you will get a pair of plastic earplugs. Not comfortable, and they don't eliminate much noise.
Good luck.
Leanna
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2004, 13:14
Send me a PM if you want Test 55, I may be able to help you get it. I also think that you should not take the Kaplan test anywhere near the last 10 days of your test date as it can seriously damage your confidence. So schedule it properly.

If you are short on tests do search for tests in the popular yahoo groups .... 2 weeks before my GMAT I found 10 tests that I had not taken .. i could manage to take only 5 of them finally.

As for the exam day .. I think I have a thread for this topic where some guys have put in their thoughts. As fo rme I took it 4 pm on a tuesday .. not a good time you may say ... but once inside taking the exam I really forgot what time or day it was as you really don't have time to even get tired .. physically that is ... GMAT will take care of the mental part.
  [#permalink] 05 Jan 2004, 13:14