Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Booth, Columbia
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 22:55
Please take a moment and reminisce about the time when you couldn't sleep 2 days before the exam and stayed up all night reading success/failure stories on gmatclub.com rather than studying which is what you should have been doing. My stomach hurts. I have anxiety. I find myself downloading iPhone games just to distract me from thinking about the test or studying. I have those thoughts of whether this studying was all for not. What happens when I see a sub 700 score pop up? Will I just move to Montana? I have only told a few people that I am taking it but they will probably know if I don't call them. Maybe I should drink a beer. Why am I still rambling on the gmatclub forum? I'll stop now... maybe... AHHHHH!!!!!!!

On a more serious note:

I just took another GMAT Kaplan Practice test and got my lowest verbal score ever: V34... It said that I got Q53 so my overall was still a 710 but still. Doesn't make me feel good to see that dam V34 pop up. I have been in the V41-V49 range prior to this test. Oh well... I am probably over thinking it. Anyways, wish me luck and I will post my GMAT Experience tale saturday night after the test!!!

AJ

Little Rock, AR
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2156

Kudos [?]: 7563 [1] , given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 23:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aj1545 wrote:
Please take a moment and reminisce about the time when you couldn't sleep 2 days before the exam and stayed up all night reading success/failure stories on gmatclub.com rather than studying which is what you should have been doing. My stomach hurts. I have anxiety. I find myself downloading iPhone games just to distract me from thinking about the test or studying. I have those thoughts of whether this studying was all for not. What happens when I see a sub 700 score pop up? Will I just move to Montana? I have only told a few people that I am taking it but they will probably know if I don't call them. Maybe I should drink a beer. Why am I still rambling on the gmatclub forum? I'll stop now... maybe... AHHHHH!!!!!!!

On a more serious note:

I just took another GMAT Kaplan Practice test and got my lowest verbal score ever: V34... It said that I got Q53 so my overall was still a 710 but still. Doesn't make me feel good to see that dam V34 pop up. I have been in the V41-V49 range prior to this test. Oh well... I am probably over thinking it. Anyways, wish me luck and I will post my GMAT Experience tale saturday night after the test!!!

AJ

Little Rock, AR

A few of us have been there - [strike]don't stress[/strike] don't stress too much.
Take a roadtrip or go somewhere if you need to get distracted and don't worry too much about Kaplan - my highest score was 640 (a few weeks before getting 750). Don't rely on Kaplan scores too much.

Most importantly - don't panic on the test - be calm. Stop for a few secs after you read the question. make sure you understand it and catch all the traps, words that may switch it. Invest time into each question but let it go after you hit 3 mins. GMAT is adaptive, so it will keep trying to fail you and you may feel that questions are easy or that you are failing every one of them - that's part of the experience - don't pay attention to it, just make sure you take one question at a time and answer it as though it is the last one and most important one of them all.

Take a full test tomorrow and then go out for a nice lunch/dinner. Not much you can do at this point. Brush up a few things you saved for the last day (if any - i.e. review your mistakes, etc) - don't try to memorize rules - a bit too late for that.

Dont' worry about the score - you will get what you are supposed to get - it is accurate.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
hey, if you read my debrief you'll see i felt exactly the same way. i think it's perfectly normal to feel stressed out the night before... even the day of your test. however, you need to channel your inner strengths by the time you get to the test center. do whatever it takes (meditate, work out, go running, read, listen to music) to get you in the 'zone' (in the test taking mentality). if you let your emotions get the best of you, then your score will definitely be affected.

you know whats funny.. i barely told anyone i was going to take the test also. only my girlfriend knew.. i didnt even tell my best friends or my parents. i did this because i didnt want any extra pressure... so if you think of it that way, then that should take off a lot of the extra pressure on test day as well.

you know whats a good mental image/ thought to have when you walk into the test? i dont know if you've ever watched wrestling or boxing, but think about the fighters when they walk into the ring. they have thousands of people watching in the stadium, millions watching at home, and they walk triumphantly into the ring to begin their championship bout. their intro music is playing, lights are flashing, and thunderous applause fills the arena. just picture yourself as the boxer/wrestler and the arena is the GMAT test center. your opponent - a worthy adversary (the GMAT), but no match for your skills.

not gonna lie, thats exactly what i was thinking as i got to the test center. complete with the "rocky" theme music and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf45I1ZI ... re=related

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager

Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 05:35
Woke up and watched the entire video. I'm ready now. Going to hit it hard today, shut the brain down and relax tomorrow, and then KILL IT saturday morning!!!!! Thanks for the words of confidence.

-AJ

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 7563 [0], given: 3623

Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 14:16
Expert's post
aj1545 wrote:
Woke up and watched the entire video. I'm ready now. Going to hit it hard today, shut the brain down and relax tomorrow, and then KILL IT saturday morning!!!!! Thanks for the words of confidence.

-AJ

Looking forward to a debrief!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Manager
Manager

Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 22:26
Took my 11th practice test today. Phew... I have taken just about every free CAT test from just about every company imaginable. I have hit the books hard over the past few days (averaging 3 hours of sleep) so I made some dumb mistakes on the test that I took tonight but still ended with 730. This seems the settling point of my test scores with about a 40 point fluctuation.

Anyways, time to recharge the batteries so that I can avoid those mistakes on game day. I am officially shutting down the brain motor right now. Tomorrow is my proverbial day of rest. I have made my peace with my studying and feel that I am as prepared as I could be. All I can do now is relax, do my best, and pray for a little bit of luck in getting questions that I know how to answer.

I will definitely update my experience and reflect after the big day. Thanks for all the support GMAT Clubbers!!! Wish me luck.

Stanford here I come!!!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 22:41
Expert's post
Good luck! :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager

Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 11:20
It's over... 730 / 96th %'ile. Q49 V40. I will put the full experience after my brain comes back to life.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 12:05
Wow....congratulations on the awsome score.
Manager
Manager

Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 12:15
mrsmarthi wrote:
Wow....congratulations on the awsome score.

Thanks alot! I thought I was bombing the entire time I was taking the test.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 12:36
Expert's post
aj1545 wrote:
It's over... 730 / 96th %'ile. Q49 V40. I will put the full experience after my brain comes back to life.

congrats!!!
Great score!

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager

Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 13:18
bb wrote:
aj1545 wrote:

congrats!!!
Great score!

Thanks! It is kind of funny how once you get a decent score... you start thinking about how you could have done better. I thought I was doing horrible. I won't let those feelings get the best of me though. I'm definitely not taking it again. Anyways, thanks alot! GMAT Club helped me a lot.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 13:25
Expert's post
aj1545 wrote:
bb wrote:
aj1545 wrote:

congrats!!!
Great score!

Thanks! It is kind of funny how once you get a decent score... you start thinking about how you could have done better. I thought I was doing horrible. I won't let those feelings get the best of me though. I'm definitely not taking it again. Anyways, thanks alot! GMAT Club helped me a lot.

Too funny - exactly my thoughts when I got 750 - "I could have done better" but I bet if I retook, I would not, though who knows - maybe got another 10 or 50 points... :wink:

Founder of GMAT Club

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 13:46
Re: TAKING THE GMAT IN 2 DAYS!!!!!   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2009, 13:46