Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2010, 14:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (02:10) correct 36% (01:22) wrong based on 134 sessions
Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined.

(A) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined
(B) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as if you combine Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale
(C) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as combining Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale
(D) the performance of Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, was almost as long as combining that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale
(E) the performance of Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, was almost as long as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by suchoudh on 27 Nov 2010, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
User avatar
Status: Three Down.
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1879
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1416 [1] , given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Comparisons [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2010, 14:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
I believe the highlighted part is a modifier and talks about the performance of the opera.

A: Incorrect, because of the usage of "almost as long as .. that of ". It should be "almost as long as ... <>"
B: As if you combine is just awkward sentence construction IMO
C: Again, it should be almost as long as <opera> combined, not the other way around.
D: As long as combining what of Rigoletto, blah? Incorrect
E: Correct, IMO. Addresses the modifier issue, and has the correct tone to it.

Please post the OA when you post questions henceforth. It'll be useful to people who are not frequent visitors.

suchoudh wrote:
[highlight]Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program[/highlight], Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined.

(A) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined
(B) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as if you combine Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale
(C) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as combining Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale
(D) the performance of Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, was almost as long as combining that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale
(E) the performance of Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, was almost as long as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Comparisons [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2010, 15:10
I was confused between A and E. Thanks whiplash for clearing that up.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1793
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 310

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 11:15
suchoudh wrote:
Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined.

(A) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined
(B) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as if you combine Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale
(C) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as combining Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale
(D) the performance of Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, was almost as long as combining that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale
(E) the performance of Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, was almost as long as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined


Wait ok I agree we are referring to the performance here. But in E, who is his? Can't be Wagner because it is not mentioned in the sentence as a noun.

I think this question may be flawed.

Experts what do you say?

Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 182
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 56

Re: Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 20:25
jlgdr wrote:
Wait ok I agree we are referring to the performance here. But in E, who is his? Can't be Wagner because it is not mentioned in the sentence as a noun.

I think this question may be flawed.

Experts what do you say?

Cheers!
J :)


'His' is a possessive pronoun and can refer to a possessive noun - Wagner's
_________________

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 157
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 29

Re: Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 22:15
I am still confused between A and E.

Can some one please give me details...

Thanks
_________________

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

__________________________________________________________________
http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-of-articles-on-critical-reasoning-159959.html

percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 182
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [2] , given: 56

Re: Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 22:37
2
This post received
KUDOS
Mountain14 wrote:
I am still confused between A and E.

Can some one please give me details...

Thanks


Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined.

(A) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined
First mistake in (A). Wagner's opera didn't take four and half hours. His performance took four and half hours.
Second mistake. Wagner's opera took as long to perform as the opera of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined. You can combine performances, but can you combine operas? No


(E) the performance of Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, was almost as long as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined
It means that the performance of Wagner's opera was as long as the performance of R, F and Nightingale combined.
_________________

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 157
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 29

Re: Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 15:48
sivasanjeev wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
I am still confused between A and E.

Can some one please give me details...

Thanks


Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined.

(A) Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, took almost as long to perform as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined
First mistake in (A). Wagner's opera didn't take four and half hours. His performance took four and half hours.
Second mistake. Wagner's opera took as long to perform as the opera of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined. You can combine performances, but can you combine operas? No


(E) the performance of Wagner's opera The Twilight of the Gods, the final work in his Ring cycle, was almost as long as that of Rigoletto, Fidelio, and The Nightingale combined
It means that the performance of Wagner's opera was as long as the performance of R, F and Nightingale combined.


Oh Yeah... I got my mistake.... Thanks...
_________________

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

__________________________________________________________________
http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-of-articles-on-critical-reasoning-159959.html

percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 295
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program, [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 04:08
e is wrong also

performance of w's opera is as long as performance of A,B and C.
there is no "opera" in the second half of comparison

is it bad question?
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program,   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2014, 04:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Stress and Strain---Four Hours Kunal3333 6 30 Apr 2012, 01:05
Which school to take up kelvinscale 15 16 Feb 2011, 11:32
Which school to take up kelvinscale 2 16 Feb 2011, 11:26
It takes three laborers ten hours to install four facuets macca 6 22 Sep 2005, 03:51
It takes 6 technicians 10 hours to build and program a new Paul 3 06 Nov 2004, 18:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Taking up four and a half hours of the festival's program,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.