Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Talino - Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Talino - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 18:55
Hi Jennifer,

I'll be turning 29 the October of my first year in business school. Although I've had several projects that have required me to lead engineering contractors, I have not gotten officially promoted and have not been in charge of anyone on my team.

I have delegated work plenty of times and have managed projects both within and without my company, but I am not sure if this counts as "leadership experience" because that can be so subjective.

Personal:
Asian/Pacific Islander
Male, 28 years old at matriculation
GMAT: 730

Education:
BS Computer Engineering GPA: 3.4 at a regionally ranked school

Experience:
4.5 Years, Energy/Green Engineering for a Fortune 100 energy company

Extracurricular:
Over 130 Hours per year of church leadership. Mentor and teacher of over 25 inner city teens from different backgrounds. I had a missions trip overseas, but it only lasted one week.

I was president of a professional society during college with over 250+ members and I made a significant impact on the school's engineering program and student's careers opportunities.

Target schools: Booth, Yale, UT Austin, Columbia, and H/S/W

Target Post-MBA: Energy/Consulting
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Talino - Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 12:48
Expert's post
Talino wrote:
Hi Jennifer,

I'll be turning 29 the October of my first year in business school. Although I've had several projects that have required me to lead engineering contractors, I have not gotten officially promoted and have not been in charge of anyone on my team.

I have delegated work plenty of times and have managed projects both within and without my company, but I am not sure if this counts as "leadership experience" because that can be so subjective.

Personal:
Asian/Pacific Islander
Male, 28 years old at matriculation
GMAT: 730

Education:
BS Computer Engineering GPA: 3.4 at a regionally ranked school

Experience:
4.5 Years, Energy/Green Engineering for a Fortune 100 energy company

Extracurricular:
Over 130 Hours per year of church leadership. Mentor and teacher of over 25 inner city teens from different backgrounds. I had a missions trip overseas, but it only lasted one week.

I was president of a professional society during college with over 250+ members and I made a significant impact on the school's engineering program and student's careers opportunities.

Target schools: Booth, Yale, UT Austin, Columbia, and H/S/W

Target Post-MBA: Energy/Consulting

Defining leadership is difficult but I'll try to explain what you need to identify in your background and discuss in your applications. These top schools are seeking examples of you motivating people who do not need to listen to. They love examples of you taking initiative to shape the organization. And they are wowed by situations in which you pushed upper management in a new direction that they resisted. Ideally, you'll be able to point to quantifiable impacts like increases in revenue and market share to prove that your leadership bore fruit. If you have these types of experiences under your belt and discuss them in your applications, then your chances of acceptance are good since your age, GMAT, and GPA are all right on target.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog