Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tanya prepared 4 different letters to 4 different addresses.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 194
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Tanya prepared 4 different letters to 4 different addresses. [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 08:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

40% (02:00) correct 60% (01:13) wrong based on 43 sessions
Tanya prepared 4 different letters to 4 different addresses. For each letter, she prepared one envelope with its correct address. If the 4 letters are to be put into the four envelopes at random, what is the probability that only one letter will be put into the envelope with its correct address?

A. 1/24
B. 1/8
C. 1/4
D. 1/3
E. 3/8

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: tanya-prepared-4-different-letters-to-4-different-addresses-88626.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Re: GMAT Prep CAT 2 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 09:09
Is the reply for the second question 500/x% ...............??
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 194
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Prep CAT 2 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 09:23
ank wrote:
Is the reply for the second question 500/x% ...............??


Yes tht's OA...plz explain
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Re: GMAT Prep CAT 2 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 09:59
For the 2nd question-

Total dist=x miles

First 5 miles in 30miles/hr. so say T1=5/30 which is 1/6 ..(speed=distance/time)

Remaining distance=x-5 miles in 60 miles/hr so say T2= x-5/60

Total time taken T3= T1 + T2 = 1/6 + x-5/60 , on solving we get it to be T3= 5+x/60

Now, if Don traveled total distance of x miles in 60 miles/hr then the total time would be =T= x/60

So the question asks us for the % difference so, T3-T/T * 100

(5+x/60 - x/60) / (x/60) * 100 = 500/x%

Last edited by ank on 12 Sep 2009, 10:30, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Re: GMAT Prep CAT 2 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 10:00
For the Tanya question... Ans is 1/3

Lets take 4 letters L1 L2 L3 L4 and 4 envelopes E1 E2 E3 E4 ... L1 should go into E1 and so on...

The Question asks us to find the prob of only one letter going into the correct envelope, which means the other 3 go into wrong envelopes.

Initially, Lets find the Total no of ways of arranging 4 letters in 4 diff envelopes which is 4! = 24

so, L1 to go into E1(correct envelope)...Thus..... 1 choice
L2 can go into E3 or E4(wrong envelopes)........ 2 choices
L3 can go into only E2 or E4(wrong envelopes)...2 choices
L4 can go only to E2 or E3(wrong envelopes).....2 choices

Thus probability that only 1 letter will be put into the envelope with its correct address= 1*2*2*2/4!=8/24 => 1/3
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 194
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Prep CAT 2 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 10:17
ank wrote:
For the Tanya question... Ans is 1/3

Lets take 4 letters L1 L2 L3 L4 and 4 envelopes E1 E2 E3 E4 ... L1 should go into E1 and so on...

The Question asks us to find the prob of only one letter going into the correct envelope, which means the other 3 go into wrong envelopes.

Initially, Lets find the Total no of ways of arranging 4 letters in 4 diff envelopes which is 4! = 24

so, L1 to go into E1(correct envelope)...Thus..... 1 choice
L2 can go into E3 or E4(wrong envelopes)........ 2 choices
L3 can go into only E2 or E4(wrong envelopes)...2 choices
L4 can go only to E2 or E3(wrong envelopes).....2 choices

Thus probability that only 1 letter will be put into the envelope with its correct address= 1*2*2*2/4!=8/24 => 1/3


OA is 1/3....

I took little diff approach....please explain wht's wrong with it???

Probab of 1 letter to correct add ENV = 4C1 / 4! = 1/6, while answer is just double of this WHY???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 428
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep CAT 2 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 10:21
ank wrote:
For the 2nd question-

Total dist=x miles

First 5 miles in 30miles/hr. so say T1=5/30 which is 1/6 ..(speed=distance/time)

Remaining distance=x-5 miles in 60 miles/hr so say T2= x-5/60

Total time taken T3= T1 + T2 = 1/6 + x-5/60 , on solving we get it to be T3= 5+x/60

Now, if Don traveled total distance of x miles in 60 miles/hr then the total time would be =T= x/60

So the question asks us for the % difference so, T3-T/T * 100

(5+x/50 - x/60) / (x/60) * 100 = 500/x%


in the last step it should be 5+x/60...
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 967
Location: Toronto
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 667 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep CAT 2 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 12:24
2
This post received
KUDOS
GODSPEED wrote:
OA is 1/3....

I took little diff approach....please explain wht's wrong with it???

Probab of 1 letter to correct add ENV = 4C1 / 4! = 1/6, while answer is just double of this WHY???


The number of ways to put exactly one letter in the right envelope is not equal to 4C1. There are 4C1 ways to choose which letter goes in the right envelope, but you then need to work out how many ways the remaining letters can be placed in the wrong envelope. For the first of these three letters, there are 2 wrong envelopes you could choose. Now, you still have one letter left which has its matching envelope unused; you must put this letter in the wrong envelope, so you have only 1 choice for this letter, and finally for the last letter you have only 1 choice for where to put it. So you have 2*1*1 = 2 ways to assign the remaining letters incorrectly, which is why you need to multiply your answer by 2.

I posted a slightly different solution to BTG a while ago, which I'll paste here:

One letter goes in the right envelope. It doesn't matter which envelope this is- there are three envelopes left. 2/3 chance the next letter goes in the wrong envelope, 1/2 the next one does, and 100% the last one does- its envelope must have been used already.

(2/3)(1/2) = 1/3.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 194
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Prep CAT 2 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 01:39
IanStewart wrote:
GODSPEED wrote:
OA is 1/3....

I took little diff approach....please explain wht's wrong with it???

Probab of 1 letter to correct add ENV = 4C1 / 4! = 1/6, while answer is just double of this WHY???


The number of ways to put exactly one letter in the right envelope is not equal to 4C1. There are 4C1 ways to choose which letter goes in the right envelope, but you then need to work out how many ways the remaining letters can be placed in the wrong envelope. For the first of these three letters, there are 2 wrong envelopes you could choose. Now, you still have one letter left which has its matching envelope unused; you must put this letter in the wrong envelope, so you have only 1 choice for this letter, and finally for the last letter you have only 1 choice for where to put it. So you have 2*1*1 = 2 ways to assign the remaining letters incorrectly, which is why you need to multiply your answer by 2.

I posted a slightly different solution to BTG a while ago, which I'll paste here:

One letter goes in the right envelope. It doesn't matter which envelope this is- there are three envelopes left. 2/3 chance the next letter goes in the wrong envelope, 1/2 the next one does, and 100% the last one does- its envelope must have been used already.

(2/3)(1/2) = 1/3.


Slightly old post, but very interesting explanation...

Just would like to add my 2 cents:

For 1 letter to go in right envelope - probability = 1/4
For 2nd letter to go in wrong envelope - probability = 2/3
For 3rd letter to go in wrong envelope - probability = 1/2
For 4th letter to go in wrong envelope - probability = 1

Now, in the order this arrangement can be done:
C - Letter going into correct envelope
W - Letter going into wrong envelope

No#1. C - W - W - W
No#2. W - C - W - W
No#3. W - W - C - W
No#4. W - W - W - C

There are 4 ways, it can be done

So, probability of 1 letter going in correct envelope: 4* (1/4) * (2/3) * (1/2) * 1 = 1/3
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 25259
Followers: 3433

Kudos [?]: 25297 [0], given: 2702

Re: Tanya prepared 4 different letters to 4 different addresses. [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 01:50
Expert's post
GODSPEED wrote:
Tanya prepared 4 different letters to 4 different addresses. For each letter, she prepared one envelope with its correct address. If the 4 letters are to be put into the four envelopes at random, what is the probability that only one letter will be put into the envelope with its correct address?

A. 1/24
B. 1/8
C. 1/4
D. 1/3
E. 3/8

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: tanya-prepared-4-different-letters-to-4-different-addresses-88626.html


OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: tanya-prepared-4-different-letters-to-4-different-addresses-88626.html

TOPIC LOCKED.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Tanya prepared 4 different letters to 4 different addresses.   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2012, 01:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
26 Experts publish their posts in the topic Tanya prepared 4 different letters to 4 different addresses dk94588 25 31 Dec 2009, 20:22
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Tanya prepared 4 letters to be sent to 4 different tealeaflin 11 15 Oct 2006, 13:12
Tanya prepared 4 different letters to be sent to 4 different positive_energy 5 11 Aug 2006, 04:41
Tanya prepared 4 different letters to be sent to 4 different mrmikec 5 16 Jun 2006, 21:37
Tanya prepared 4 different letters to be sent to 4 different mbadownunder 2 28 Jan 2006, 00:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tanya prepared 4 different letters to 4 different addresses.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.