Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tariffs on imported manufactured goods

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [3] , given: 10

Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

82% (02:06) correct 18% (01:33) wrong based on 365 sessions
Here is a 700-800 level question from MGMAT:

Country X imposes heavy tariffs on imported manufactured goods. Company Y has determined that it could increase its profits in the long term by opening a factory in Country X to manufacture the goods that it currently produces in its home country for sale in Country X.

For Company Y's determination to be true, which of the following assumptions must also be true?
A: Company Y will be able to obtain all the necessary permits to open a factory in Country X.
B: Company Y currently produces no goods outside its home country.
C: A sustainable market for Company Y's goods currently exists in Country X.
D: Company Y's home country does not impose tariffs on imported goods.
E: Labor costs in Country X are lower than those in Company Y's home country.

The answer to the question is C, with this explanation from MGMAT:
In order for Company Y to conclude that it can increase long-term profits by opening a factory in Country X, it must believe that a sustainable market exists for its products in that country. Otherwise, the new factory would not generate revenue and the company could not recoup the cost of the new factory.

What I don't get: how can C be right because the passage states that company Y currently produces goodsfor sale in country X.... so we know that there is a market for comany Y in country X, no?

What am I missing?

Yes I can!

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 07:21
nifoui wrote:

Country X imposes heavy tariffs on imported manufactured goods. Company Y has determined that it could increase its profits in the long term by opening a factory in Country X to manufacture the goods that it currently produces in its home country for sale in Country X.

For Company Y's determination to be true, which of the following assumptions must also be true?
A: Company Y will be able to obtain all the necessary permits to open a factory in Country X.

In order for Company Y to conclude that it can increase long-term profits by opening a factory in Country X, it must believe that a sustainable market exists for its products in that country. Otherwise, the new factory would not generate revenue and the company could not recoup the cost of the new factory.

What I don't get: how can C be right because the passage states that company Y currently produces goodsfor sale in country X.... so we know that there is a market for comany Y in country X, no?

What am I missing?

IMO its A.

C talks about the current situation. No information is there about the long term demands.
Also if we negate A, the argument falls apart.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 10

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 14:19
I know, I replied A too, but the real answer is C...

Yes I can!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 19:17
Read the 2nd statement carefully, "Company Y has determined that it could increase its profits in the long term"....To be successful in its planning, Company Y is assuming that the demand of the product will continue in future.

Rest of the assumptions as in A and labor costs in other choice will come next.
10 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 744 [10] , given: 11

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 18:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey All,

This is a tough question, and since it's one of ours, I figured I had to weigh in.

Conclusion: Company Y could increase profits by putting factory in Country X
Premise: Country X has heavy tariffs on imports
Assumption: People actually buy Company Y's stuff in Country X

This is a tough question because of answer choice A. You're supposed to look at it and say "Well, if they can't even open the factory, won't that negate the conclusion?" And you'd be right, if not for one little word in the passage: could. If this passage said, Company Y WILL make a big profit next year by building a factory, then answer choice A would be correct, because that makes it impossible for them to actually build the factory.

But this passage merely says they "could" make a profit by opening the factory. In this hypothetical universe, the factory has already opened. Whether or not there are impediments to making this happen is immaterial. The issue is whether the existence of the factory will make them a profit.

Problem: We don't need to know how hard it is to make the factory. The conclusion implies that the factory is already open.

Problem: This has no connection to whether or not they will make money if they DO produce goods outside the home country.

Answer: You can't make a profit if nobody's buying, no matter how many tariffs you dodge.

Problem: This doesn't matter, because Company Y wants to make a profit on goods sold in Country X.

Problem: This strengthens the argument a bit (because the factory in Country X will be cheaper, leading to potential profit), but it isn't necessary. If we take the negation ("Labor costs in Country X are NOT lower than in Country Y), the argument does not fall apart.

Hope that helps!

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 02:16
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

This is a tough question, and since it's one of ours, I figured I had to weigh in.

This is a tough question because of answer choice A. You're supposed to look at it and say "Well, if they can't even open the factory, won't that negate the conclusion?" And you'd be right, if not for one little word in the passage: could. If this passage said, Company Y WILL make a big profit next year by building a factory, then answer choice A would be correct, because that makes it impossible for them to actually build the factory.

But this passage merely says they "could" make a profit by opening the factory. In this hypothetical universe, the factory has already opened. Whether or not there are impediments to making this happen is immaterial. The issue is whether the existence of the factory will make them a profit.

Problem: We don't need to know how hard it is to make the factory. The conclusion implies that the factory is already open.

Problem: This has no connection to whether or not they will make money if they DO produce goods outside the home country.

Answer: You can't make a profit if nobody's buying, no matter how many tariffs you dodge.

Problem: This doesn't matter, because Company Y wants to make a profit on goods sold in Country X.

Problem: This strengthens the argument a bit (because the factory in Country X will be cheaper, leading to potential profit), but it isn't necessary. If we take the negation ("Labor costs in Country X are NOT lower than in Country Y), the argument does not fall apart.

Hope that helps!

If we see the question stem, we have been asked "For Company Y's determination to be true, which of the following assumptions must also be true".
whether the determination only includes making profits...??
What i understand the determinations starts "from building up a factory........ to profit generation".

Also "C" only talks about the "current" market condition, it doesn't forecast the market conditions in future.And Company is looking for long term profits....NOT current profits.

IMO A is better than C.
5 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 744 [5] , given: 11

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Nverma,

It's a tough question, but the answer is definitely C. You have to stay REALLY close to what's written.

The passage says that the company has concluded it COULD increase profits by OPENING a factory. So the issue isn't whether it is possible to open a factory, but whether IF THE FACTORY WERE OPENED, it would make a profit.

Answer choice A tells us that it will be difficult to open the factory, but that is unrelated to the conclusion. We're only interested in whether or not an OPEN FACTORY would be profitable. There is no need to differentiate between long-term and short-term profits, or between present and future profits. This is about a hypothetical situation in which the factory is open. Only C relates to this.

Hope that helps!

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 12

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 13:32
This post received
KUDOS
nifoui wrote:

What am I missing?

Don't miss the word 'sustainable'. Country X is selling its products today means that its products have a market today. That doesn't ensure that the products will have market tomorrow also. It's whole plan is based on long term gains. What use id it of if it opens a factory today & has a market today but 2 years down the line it realizes that its market has ceased to exist.

A & E are lucrative options but out of the scope of the problem.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 01:06
Even I got A ......

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 01:27
I agree with Tommy Wallach and honeyrai.
The answer chsould be C.

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 09:55
wow !! i am glad that I marked C ..and agree with Honeyrai. The key word for me is sustainable..

regards
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 20:41
I was tempted by A .......but persisted with C ...........don't know if its all my merit because i have seen C already below accidentally ....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 20:41
But .I agree with the explanations above ...........C is much better than A ......
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 05:07
Its clearly C...If no sustainable market in X no point in opening a plant to sell goods in X

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 06:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
well i willl go for C in one reading only..

I think if one company doest have sustainable market in some country whats the use in getting all permits cleared and cheap labour cost....

Infact it might be a dead investment..........

C...............:D

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 01:36
I went with C too :)

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 03:23
There is one more point that nobody seemed to touched on. Company is concerned about long term profit. Answer choice C provides sustainable market to the company. Hence, long term profitability can be ensured.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 20:48
This is tempting and tricky question. Between choice A and C. The word "could" make long-term profit is the most important word to decide which choice is correct. Choice A states that Y will be able (not could)....

Choice C states the sustainable market ensure the long-term profit of producing goods in X as the conclusion of the passage stated.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 02:20
nifoui wrote:

What am I missing?

If company Y exports goods to country X, due to the increased impose of tariffs on imported goods from Country X's side, the over all profit margin would decrease for Company Y if it continues to do so. Hence Company Y has decided to set up its plant in Country X.

A: Company Y will be able to obtain all the necessary permits to open a factory in Country X. - Out of scope of the current context - Incorrect
B: Company Y currently produces no goods outside its home country. - It is irrelevant to the conclusion made in the passage - Incorrect
C: A sustainable market for Company Y's goods currently exists in Country X. - The move of Company Y to set up a plant in Country X is justifiable only when there is a considerable market in Country X for its product - Correct
D: Company Y's home country does not impose tariffs on imported goods. - The passage talks about Country X rather than the home country of Company Y - Irrelevant - Incorrect
E: Labor costs in Country X are lower than those in Company Y's home country. - The point of discussion is not about the labour costs - Out of scope - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 05:44
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the detailed explanation tommy.. :)

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Re: Tariffs on imported manufactured goods   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2012, 05:44