Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 03:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:20) wrong based on 0 sessions
Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.

A them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
B them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore
C which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud
D which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud
E which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore

OA in white: oco

My problem is the same as riteshgupta1's who posted one 1,5 year ago without getting an answer:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... taste+buds
Quote:
WOW.

I am amazed.... I can never accept x as the OA.

Can someone explain me how can x be right.

Here is the structure of x

First IC
subject Taste buds
Verb are
predicate onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells
comma ,

another IC

subject each of them
verb has
predicate fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.

SO we have 2 IC's joined with Comma in X.

Can someone shed any light...

It 's like saying : my car has four wheels, each of the four wheels is black.

Can someone please shed any light?

Last edited by karlfurt on 03 Dec 2006, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 04:14
I have one more doubt with regards to OA
Tastebuds is plural and the verb used with which is singular how does one justify this usage?

Considered Each as part of underlined question its not so kindly ignore my doubt

Last edited by yogeshsheth on 03 Dec 2006, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 04:21
I think that's not an issue.
'each' is singular and is the subject of 'has'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 04:28
I am not sure if we can join two IC's by a comma( I think we can't), but there are other things which can direct us to correct answer. C is my answer

Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells, each of them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.

A them has fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
Misplace modifier
B them that have fingerlike projections that poke through an opening located at the top of the taste bud, which they call the taste pore
C which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud
D which having fingerlike projections that poke through an opening, which is called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud
E which have fingerlike projections that are poking through an opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 05:17
arjsingh1976 wrote:
I am not sure if we can join two IC's by a comma( I think we can't), but there are other things which can direct us to correct answer. C is my answer

Misplace modifier

If we cannot join, then C is not better than the rest, because it would be grammatically false. A correct SC can be wordy, long, complex, but never grammatically incorrect. That's my opinion, unless someone can say that C is a grammatically correct sentence.
On the opposite, D is grammatically correct, but wordy and for that reason I chose D.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 07:23
C is the answer.

A is wrong because "located" is not close to "opening"

B: them that is awkward and wordy.

DE having and have are wrong.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 07:38
Why would C be incorrect?

"each of them" is unidiomatic and the correct idiom is "each of which", this rules out A and B

"each" requires a singural verb therefore it cant be E ("have")

D is unnecessarily wordy
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 08:51
Lorenzino wrote:
Why would C be incorrect?

"each of them" is unidiomatic and the correct idiom is "each of which", this rules out A and B

"each" requires a singural verb therefore it cant be E ("have")

D is unnecessarily wordy

But is ruling out other options enough to make C correct? Can C be ruled out as well?

I would just like to know whether C is correct, that is, if joining two independent clauses with a comma is accepted in standard english?

Quantitative is hard, Verbal is harder.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 11:52
1.Taste buds are onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells,

Following is an appositive of taste cells:

2. each of which has fingerlike projections poking through the opening, called the taste pore, located at the top of the taste bud

This is not a run-on sentence.

Example:

I have three cars, each of which has a Mp3 player. <== Noun clause that redefines the cars (Appositive of cars)

I didn't understand what is controversial about this SC.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: controversial SC Gmatprep [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 13:32
karlfurt wrote:

OA in white: oco

My problem is the same as riteshgupta1's who posted one 1,5 year ago without getting an answer:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... taste+buds
Quote:
WOW.

I am amazed.... I can never accept x as the OA.

Can someone explain me how can x be right.

Here is the structure of x

First IC
subject Taste buds
Verb are
predicate onion-shaped structures with between 50 and 100 taste cells
comma ,

another IC

subject each of them
verb has
predicate fingerlike projections poking through the opening located at the top of the taste bud called the taste pore.

SO we have 2 IC's joined with Comma in X.

Can someone shed any light...

It 's like saying : my car has four wheels, each of the four wheels is black.

Can someone please shed any light?

C

------------------------------------------------------
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 14:30
C is a quite valid answer - i dont see anything wrong with it
Senior Manager