Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tax Accounting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Tax Accounting [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 19:35
I am looking at getting a tax job with a major corporation(Fortune 20). Might not get it, but it's pretty ideal for me as it will allow me to complete my Masters in Accounting and get my CPA experience quicker than a public accounting job which would be less pleasant and wouldn't let me start for another year when school is completely done.

I enjoy tax but don't know if I want to make it a career. Anybody here move from tax pre-MBA to something else? Will I be stuck? Are there many jobs where tax knowledge is valued but where you aren't focused on compliance and tax planning.

I got a 760 on the GMAT and think I should be competitive in other respects for a top MBA program down the road. I might do law school as an alternative if I decide in a few years I want to take my tax career to the next level(and the legal market is less of a nightmare than it is now).
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Tax Accounting [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 02:52
Diogenes wrote:
I am looking at getting a tax job with a major corporation(Fortune 20). Might not get it, but it's pretty ideal for me as it will allow me to complete my Masters in Accounting and get my CPA experience quicker than a public accounting job which would be less pleasant and wouldn't let me start for another year when school is completely done.

I enjoy tax but don't know if I want to make it a career. Anybody here move from tax pre-MBA to something else? Will I be stuck? Are there many jobs where tax knowledge is valued but where you aren't focused on compliance and tax planning.

I got a 760 on the GMAT and think I should be competitive in other respects for a top MBA program down the road. I might do law school as an alternative if I decide in a few years I want to take my tax career to the next level(and the legal market is less of a nightmare than it is now).

Tax is pretty specialized knowledge so depending on what you wanted to transition into post-MBA you may have to work a little bit to sell what skills you have that are relevant to the new job.

In terms of tax jobs that aren't tax prep or tax planning, well, by definition most tax jobs fall into one of those two buckets. There's tax work involved in some M&A work to minimize tax implications of the transaction, but a lot of the more interesting work in that area is done by tax lawyers. In some accounting firms, transfer pricing is handled by the tax group, if that's something you'd be interested in.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Tax Accounting [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 05:25
Diogenes wrote:

You really need to work out what you want to do first. You have a good GMAT score, but you don't necessarily want to burn through $100k simply to use it.

Both business school and law school will offer many different options outside of tax. You need to be clear which you want, because it is expensive.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Tax Accounting [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 12:36
Well the idea is to keep options open for the time being. Auditing strikes me as really boring so I'm not interested in that, especially since I don't have the bubbling personality they seem to want for that. I could go after some valuation type jobs but I'm not sure how transferable those are. Also more difficult to get and lots more hours.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Schools: Yale
WE 1: Tax - Big 4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: Tax Accounting [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 15:13
Hi Diogenes,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your awesome GMAT score.

I'm currently a Tax accountant at a Big 4, and while I have not enrolled in an MBA program/began a post/MBA career, I thought I might share some of my experiences about my industry and why an MBA.

From my observation, most people who start off in my company usually end up leaving, with maybe half doing something completely non-tax related. Some people leave for a JD or MBA, others do something else professional-services related, while the rest settle down into a tax accounting career in industry. I think that while the technical knowledge you'll learn from your job won't transfer too greatly to other career paths, the work experience itself of learning and growing in a profession, working with people (hopefully in a leadership capacity), and performing well relative to your peers are all pretty neat things to gain from this career path, or any career path, really. What I am trying to say is, since you are pretty young, if tax intially interests you, why not? Plenty of people leave tax to do something else, and in the first few years of your career, it's more about you learning to become the best professional/workplace leader/employee that you can be, not necessarily acquiring all the technical knowledge applicable to your field.

It seems that you have a few options; I say just go for the job, kick major butt, and then after 2-3 years, you'll probably have a better sense of what you'd like to do - I don't believe that you will feel "stuck". Using me as an example, I have been employed for a little over 2 years, (with Masters in Tax and CPA), yet I feel no regrets in pursuing a completely new and unrelated career path post-MBA (non-profit) - I am glad to have had the experience I've enjoyed, and feel like I've grown and learned much about myself as a person and as a professional in the past few years.

I hope this helped, and I wish you the best of luck in whichever path you decide to take in the future!
Intern
Intern

Re: Tax Accounting [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 17:36
Okay that was what I'm looking for. I'm not that young(late 20's) so I need to get rolling. I'm a vet so I have that going for me in terms of grad school.
Re: Tax Accounting   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2010, 17:36