Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Teacher Candidate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 16

Teacher Candidate [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 23:40
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm interested in going to business school but want to know if I have a realistic shot given my profession. Quick facts:

Undergrad: Texas A&M, Political Science
3.5 gpa
hispanic (first in family to go to college)
GMAT: never taken
Years of Experience: 4
Years Management Experience: 1?

I have been teaching elementary mathematics for four years. During this time I have earned several awards for outstanding leadership and teaching.

Leadership
1) responsible for creating assessments and lesson plans for entire school district (37 elementary schools)
2) responsible for supervising teachers and providing feedback
3) responsible for analyzing student performance data and developing strategic plans for school improvement on state assessments

I would like to attend a school in Texas. I just don't know if I would make a good candidate. I have read many of the profiles here and most people have business backgrounds and/or business experience. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Teacher Candidate [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 05:04
josemnz83 wrote:
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I'm interested in going to business school but want to know if I have a realistic shot given my profession. Quick facts:

Undergrad: Texas A&M, Political Science
3.5 gpa
hispanic (first in family to go to college)
GMAT: never taken
Years of Experience: 4
Years Management Experience: 1?

I have been teaching elementary mathematics for four years. During this time I have earned several awards for outstanding leadership and teaching.

Leadership
1) responsible for creating assessments and lesson plans for entire school district (37 elementary schools)
2) responsible for supervising teachers and providing feedback
3) responsible for analyzing student performance data and developing strategic plans for school improvement on state assessments

I would like to attend a school in Texas. I just don't know if I would make a good candidate. I have read many of the profiles here and most people have business backgrounds and/or business experience. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There are many people with non-business backgrounds in business school, including teachers. Do well on the GMAT, write a logical goals essay that synchs with your background, and you should get in somewhere. What schools in TX are you looking at?

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Teacher Candidate [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 05:55
There is no ideal candidate. You would make a great candidate if you can clearly link your reason for pursuing an MBA with your passions or career goals. There are tons of people from non business backgrounds in business schools. So you don't have to worry on that front at all..

If you think that an MBA can get you where you aspire to be, then stop thinking, start prepping for GMAT and jump headlong into the process. Even if you realize down the line in the process that an MBA is not really meant for you, at least you would've improved your Math skills even more and would have become a better elementary Math teacher.. :)

(Just FYI..I know folks starting school this year with teaching backgrounds..so there's definitely a well set precedent)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 16

Re: Teacher Candidate [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 06:37
Thank you both for posting a reply. My dream school would be Texas A&M. I would also consider University of Houston because I live here and would not need to move. I must it is a little intimidating when I read on some of you guys' accomplishments and work experience background. I actually graduated undergrad in 2 years while working through college. One semester I took 21 hours of upper level Poli Sci courses at TAMU and earned a 4.0.

I would like to get an MBA because I would like to work as an administrator (in education). I feel that the MBA would allow me to earn the skills needed to perform such job more effectively, which in turn would help children obtain a better education, etc. That is the gist of my argument.

any thoughts? Anyone here from TAMU?
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Re: Teacher Candidate [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 11:43
Expert's post
I completely agree with scorpionZ. People change their careers all the time. B-Schools encourage candidates from non- traditional backgrounds.

The key here is you should be articulate about your transferable skills, your goals, the role of MBA to reach your goals ,and your contribution to the program.
Looks like you have it all planned out. All you need to do is to present a convincing case for your self as to how MBA will help you get to your goal of becoming an administrator in education.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Teacher Candidate [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 21:42
josemnz83 wrote:
Thank you both for posting a reply. My dream school would be Texas A&M. I would also consider University of Houston because I live here and would not need to move. I must it is a little intimidating when I read on some of you guys' accomplishments and work experience background. I actually graduated undergrad in 2 years while working through college. One semester I took 21 hours of upper level Poli Sci courses at TAMU and earned a 4.0.

I would like to get an MBA because I would like to work as an administrator (in education). I feel that the MBA would allow me to earn the skills needed to perform such job more effectively, which in turn would help children obtain a better education, etc. That is the gist of my argument.

any thoughts? Anyone here from TAMU?

Sounds good josmnz83..From the gist of what you've written, am sure you can make a compelling argument for your candidacy..

There's a Texas A&M thread for 2012 here. Check it out, reach out to folks who applied and take it forward from there. In the meantime, do start your GMAT prep at the earliest if you're targeting Fall 2013.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Teacher Candidate   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2012, 21:42