Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tech-focused profile evaluation & age question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Tech-focused profile evaluation & age question [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 21:43
Thanks in advance for giving me your perspective on my candidacy. I am applying R1 to a group of schools already, and am finalizing my recommenders, but wanted your validation of my choices and to ask a specific question about H/S.

MY PROFILE:
* Hispanic American
* Married Male
* 3.5 GPA from Major State School; double majored in two humanities
* GMAT: 750 (Q: 48; V: 45); 6 AWA; 8 IR
* Work: 7 years in small digital media/internet marketing companies/roles in NYC; 2 years (will be at matriculation) in professional services in Silicon Valley (not MBB but not junk either)
* Extras: pretty solid volunteering teaching music to underprivileged teens; concert musician
* Goal: work at major blue chip technology company on West Coast in a marketing, BD, or product role; eventually do something entrepreneurial in digital home/streaming content space

SCHOOLS I AM APPLYING TO NOW:
Haas (first choice)
Wharton
Kellogg
Ross
Anderson
Marshall (last choice)

MY QUESTION: Am I correct in assuming that my age (again, 32 at matriculation) essentially makes me a longshot at Harvard and Stanford? Would there be any point in applying? Obviously, given my dream of being in Tech, Stanford would be the #1 choice.... but I don't want to waste time/money on pointless applications and make my Wharton, Kellogg, etc. essays suffer for it.

Thanks for your view!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tech-focused profile evaluation & age question [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 09:20
Expert's post
Hi cole2012,

Thanks for posting. Regarding Harvard and Stanford, nothing about your story makes me think there is any reason why you cannot be admitted, but nothing stands out telling me why you should be admitted. All of the reasons why a top program would admit you are in the details of your work experience, personal experiences, personality, values and overall story.

Regarding your age, older candidates will have to prove that all of their time in the work world has been well spent. They should demonstrate progression, tangible contributions, and a high level of self-awareness, confidence, and maturity. A 37-year-old applicant who has spent 15 years in the same position without showing significant growth or progression will have a hard time being admitted to a top school,but this is not because they are 37 or because of the 15 years of experience. Rather, it is because they may have not demonstrated growth during that time.

If you'd like, we provide free 30 minute phone consultations here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

We also have school specific advice for MBA programs here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/business-school-hub/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap